ASIA/SYRIA - Patriarchs and Christian leaders in the Middle East: together with the Pope, in prayer for peace
Beirut (Agenzia Fides) - The Christian leaders of the Eastern Churches welcome and re-launch the appeal for peace in Syria, launched by Pope Francis in yesterday's Angelus, September 1. As several Christian leaders in the Middle East report to Fides, the appeal "finds way into everyone’s hearts at all levels. The Christian communities in Syria, the Middle East and in the diaspora are happy and ready to join in fasting and prayer".
Yesterday, the Maronite Patriarch in Beirut, Cardinal Bechara Rai, visited the Greek Orthodox Patriarch of Antioch, Youhanna Yazigi, and the two leaders said they were "deeply comforted by the Pope’s appeal", pledging to raise awareness in their communities for common prayer.
In a joint statement sent after the meeting and sent to Fides, the two leaders ask "all foreign countries in the region or further afield, to make every effort to resolving the conflict through peaceful, diplomatic and peaceful means". Judging "unacceptable that someone destroys the life of Syrians," the two leaders said they were "opposed to any foreign armed intervention in Syria", and confirm that war "brings nothing but destruction and ruin". "We always want to speak the language of dialogue and peace", says the note sent to Fides. "We Christians in the Arab world – they recall – contributed to building our culture and our societies, a civilization of coexistence and moderation". Christians, the text concludes, "will never be an instrument of war and arms trafficking", but confirm their commitment to "building a society based on respect, love, cooperation with others". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 02/09/2013)
- 2014-07-24 - Thousands of children excluded from the vaccination campaign against polio which has resurfaced in the Country
- 2014-07-08 - The government army towards Aleppo. Bishop Audo: we are on edge between hopes and fears, we also lack drinking water
- 2014-06-17 - Aleppo still without water, churches reactivate the wells
- 2014-06-05 - Aleppo again without water, other missiles on the areas inhabited by the Armenians
- 2014-06-02 - ASIA/SYRIA – The jiahdists of ISIL in Raqqa confiscate the property of Christians
- 2014-05-19 - Armenian Catholic Archbishop Marayati: Christians flee from Aleppo, besieged city
- 2014-05-02 - Even a Christian tries to candidate himself in the presidential election in June
- 2014-04-28 - Armenian Catholic Archbishop Marayati: Aleppo again in the grip of war
- 2014-04-15 - A missile on an Armenian Catholic school: a child killed, 61 injured
- 2014-04-15 - Churches devastated and icons desecrated in Maalula