AFRICA/CONGO DR - Rwanda says it was bombarded by the Congolese army. The UN "evidence on the support of Kigali to the rebels"
Kinshasa ( Agenzia Fides) - Rwanda has accused government forces of the Democratic Republic of Congo of having fired artillery against its own territory, killing a woman and injuring her son.
The authorities in Kinshasa have rejected the Rwandans accusations, while the UN Undersecretary for Peacekeeping Operations, Edmond Mulet, declared in front of the Security Council of the UN, of having "credible and consistent information" regarding the support of the Rwandese army to the rebels of the M23 in the ongoing fighting in the north of Goma, capital of North Kivu (eastern DRC).
The Congolese army with the support of the UN Intervention Brigade has been conducting an offensive against the M23 for days. In a statement sent to Fides the coordination of civil society in North Kivu thanks the UN Intervention Brigade and the national army for their efforts that have allowed to throw out, from various places, men of the M23.
Civil society will organise a vigil for the Congolese military, the Blue Helmets and civilians killed in the fighting and bombing in Goma by the rebels and the Rwandese army. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 31/08/2013)
- 2014-03-04 AFRICA/CONGO DR - "No to indirect elections", say the Bishops who fear fraud and manipulation
- 2014-02-28 AFRICA/DR CONGO - “We have yet to verify the presence of the bodies of the three Assumptionist priests in mass graves discovered” says the Bishop Butembo-Beni
- 2014-02-25 AFRICA/DR CONGO – United Nations will increase Peacekeeping troops in Katanga, a drama signalled by the country's Catholic Bishops
- 2014-02-21 AFRICA/CONGO DR - "Unspeakable violence in Katanga" denounce the Bishops of the Province
- 2014-02-17 AFRICA/DR CONGO - North Congolese, an explosive mix: ex Central African combatants and gold mines
- 2014-02-06 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The flow of Central Africans seeking refuge in the DRC does not stop
- 2014-02-03 AFRICA/CONGO DR -"Humanitarian catastrophe" in Katanga, says the UN
- 2014-01-30 AFRICA/DR CONGO - More than 500,000 displaced people from 66 villages destroyed by the rebels in Katanga
- 2014-01-21 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The Catholic Church saves a dozen children from human trafficking
- 2014-01-15 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Disturbing speculations on the killing of the officer who defeated the M23