AFRICA/CONGO DR - Rwanda says it was bombarded by the Congolese army. The UN "evidence on the support of Kigali to the rebels"
Kinshasa ( Agenzia Fides) - Rwanda has accused government forces of the Democratic Republic of Congo of having fired artillery against its own territory, killing a woman and injuring her son.
The authorities in Kinshasa have rejected the Rwandans accusations, while the UN Undersecretary for Peacekeeping Operations, Edmond Mulet, declared in front of the Security Council of the UN, of having "credible and consistent information" regarding the support of the Rwandese army to the rebels of the M23 in the ongoing fighting in the north of Goma, capital of North Kivu (eastern DRC).
The Congolese army with the support of the UN Intervention Brigade has been conducting an offensive against the M23 for days. In a statement sent to Fides the coordination of civil society in North Kivu thanks the UN Intervention Brigade and the national army for their efforts that have allowed to throw out, from various places, men of the M23.
Civil society will organise a vigil for the Congolese military, the Blue Helmets and civilians killed in the fighting and bombing in Goma by the rebels and the Rwandese army. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 31/08/2013)
- 2014-10-17 - At least 30 people have died in the guerrilla assault in the town of Beni
- 2014-10-16 - Bishops' strong condemnation regarding the attack against priests and religious women in Lodja
- 2014-10-14 - New threats to priests and religious women because of the opposition of the Bishops to the constitutional amendment
- 2014-10-06 - Violence in the areas that the army has declared "free" from the guerrillas continue
- 2014-10-02 - Initiatives on behalf of "Justice and Peace" for reconciliation between Congolese and Rwandans
- 2014-09-22 - More than 70,000 children accused of witchcraft and persecuted
- 2014-09-17 - "No to the revision of the Constitution, because it puts at risk the stability of the Country", say the Bishops
- 2014-09-15 - “A lively Church but the faith needs to be deepened” says President of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference
- 2014-09-12 - Civil society: "the press in Rwanda is being provocative with regards to the border lines"
- 2014-09-02 - Dismay for the death, only months apart, of the two army officers who defeated M23