AFRICA/CONGO DR - Rwanda says it was bombarded by the Congolese army. The UN "evidence on the support of Kigali to the rebels"
Kinshasa ( Agenzia Fides) - Rwanda has accused government forces of the Democratic Republic of Congo of having fired artillery against its own territory, killing a woman and injuring her son.
The authorities in Kinshasa have rejected the Rwandans accusations, while the UN Undersecretary for Peacekeeping Operations, Edmond Mulet, declared in front of the Security Council of the UN, of having "credible and consistent information" regarding the support of the Rwandese army to the rebels of the M23 in the ongoing fighting in the north of Goma, capital of North Kivu (eastern DRC).
The Congolese army with the support of the UN Intervention Brigade has been conducting an offensive against the M23 for days. In a statement sent to Fides the coordination of civil society in North Kivu thanks the UN Intervention Brigade and the national army for their efforts that have allowed to throw out, from various places, men of the M23.
Civil society will organise a vigil for the Congolese military, the Blue Helmets and civilians killed in the fighting and bombing in Goma by the rebels and the Rwandese army. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 31/08/2013)
- 2015-11-19 - Open discussion on the mission in Africa 50 years after the "Ad Gentes" apostolic decree
- 2015-11-16 - The Bishops: "National dialogue must respect the Constitution"
- 2015-11-05 - Civil society: "There are foreign jihadists in our region despite what the UN says"
- 2015-11-04 - Kidnappings: new plague in North Kivu: more than 600 seizures since the beginning of the year
- 2015-10-30 - Lack of funds put the elections at risk
- 2015-10-22 - Catholic Bishops disassociate from choice of presidency candidate for Independent National Election Commission
- 2015-10-21 - Three years after the disappearance of the three Congolese Assumptionists, no word on their fate
- 2015-10-20 - Religious confessions announce the rapid appointment of the new head of the Electoral Commission
- 2015-10-12 - Concern for the resignation of the President of the Independent Electoral Commission
- 2015-10-06 - First positive impact of the report submitted by Catholic organizations on the mine in Kibali