AFRICA/CONGO DR - Rwanda says it was bombarded by the Congolese army. The UN "evidence on the support of Kigali to the rebels"
Kinshasa ( Agenzia Fides) - Rwanda has accused government forces of the Democratic Republic of Congo of having fired artillery against its own territory, killing a woman and injuring her son.
The authorities in Kinshasa have rejected the Rwandans accusations, while the UN Undersecretary for Peacekeeping Operations, Edmond Mulet, declared in front of the Security Council of the UN, of having "credible and consistent information" regarding the support of the Rwandese army to the rebels of the M23 in the ongoing fighting in the north of Goma, capital of North Kivu (eastern DRC).
The Congolese army with the support of the UN Intervention Brigade has been conducting an offensive against the M23 for days. In a statement sent to Fides the coordination of civil society in North Kivu thanks the UN Intervention Brigade and the national army for their efforts that have allowed to throw out, from various places, men of the M23.
Civil society will organise a vigil for the Congolese military, the Blue Helmets and civilians killed in the fighting and bombing in Goma by the rebels and the Rwandese army. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 31/08/2013)
- 2013-11-22 AFRICA/CONGO DR - "President, reinforce the presence of the State" is what civil society in North Kivu asks Kabila
- 2013-11-15 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Still instability in North Kivu: new attacks against civilians
- 2013-11-14 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The social market economy at the service of the individual and the community
- 2013-11-13 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Rwandan military deployed 3 km from Goma, civil society denounces
- 2013-11-12 AFRICA/DR CONGO - Catholics and Anglicans together for peace in the Great Lakes
- 2013-11-06 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The defeat of the M23: a historic victory for the Congolese army
- 2013-11-05 AFRICA/DR CONGO - The M23 surrenders but first bombards civilians, accuse local sources
- 2013-11-04 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The defeat of the M23 seems likely but there are 40 other armed groups in North Kivu
- 2013-10-28 AFRICA/CONGO DR - M23 : "There are several mass graves in addition to those already found" denounces civil society
- 2013-10-25 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Fighting between the army and M23 have resumed