AFRICA/CONGO DR - "17 artillery shells fired on Goma" denounce the Congolese NGOs
Kinshasa ( Agenzia Fides ) - "A total of 17 artillery shells were fired on civilian targets, which resulted in loss of life, severe damage to property and a generalized fear in the popular areas of Goma", said a statement sent to Fides Agency by Réseau National des ONGs des Droits de l'Homme de la République Démocratique du Congo (RENADHOC) .
The association of Congolese NGOs says it is "deeply concerned about the escalation of violence caused by the renewed fighting in North Kivu province, caused by the negative force M23 with the support of Rwanda.
This escalation is demonstrated by the bombing of four consecutive days, on the town of Munigi and Kanyaruchinya as well as the city of Goma".
"The artillery fire – continues the statement - were fired from the territory of Rwanda, from the towns of Mukamira, Iugero in the region of Rubavu, as well as Mahuku".
Recalling that the Special Representative of the UN Secretary General says that these bombings are war crimes, the RENADHOC appeals to the Human Rights Council of the United Nations "to urgently examine the issue in the ordinary session in September so that severe sanctions are taken against Rwanda and to the advantage of the population of North Kivu, the victim of two decades of bloody and inhuman occupation". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 30/08/2013)
- 2014-10-28 - A Congolese priest has disappeared for three weeks in Ituri
- 2014-10-27 - The debate on the constitutional reform creates a power vacuum and emphasizes the political instability
- 2014-10-24 - The youth of South Kivu with the Bishops against the amendment of the Constitution
- 2014-10-17 - At least 30 people have died in the guerrilla assault in the town of Beni
- 2014-10-16 - Bishops' strong condemnation regarding the attack against priests and religious women in Lodja
- 2014-10-14 - New threats to priests and religious women because of the opposition of the Bishops to the constitutional amendment
- 2014-10-06 - Violence in the areas that the army has declared "free" from the guerrillas continue
- 2014-10-02 - Initiatives on behalf of "Justice and Peace" for reconciliation between Congolese and Rwandans
- 2014-09-22 - More than 70,000 children accused of witchcraft and persecuted
- 2014-09-17 - "No to the revision of the Constitution, because it puts at risk the stability of the Country", say the Bishops