ASIA/SYRIA - Archbishop Matta Roham : "It is easy to launch air strikes, difficult to stop the consequences"
Hassaké (Agenzia Fides ) - "It is easy to pave the way for air strikes on Syria, but it is difficult to end the war and the consequences of these attacks throughout the Middle East": is the comment, entrusted to Fides Agency by Eustathius Matta Roham, Syro-Orthodox Metropolitan Archbishop of "Jazirah and Euphrates", worried and saddened by the situation that the country is experiencing . "Everywhere, in Syria and outside Syria , the faithful are praying to ward off an attack by foreign countries against Syria and in order to build peace in the whole region. We all pray that our Lord Jesus Christ enlightens the minds of the people in power, so that they act according to justice and peace, for the sake of human beings".
The Archbishop informs Fides Agency on the situation in the governorate of Hassake, in eastern Syria, bordering Turkey and Iraq. "Flights at the civil airport of Kamichly, as well as in all other Syrian airports are blocked. Even ground transportation from Kamichly to all other Syrian cities and to Lebanon are blocked. The population, already suffering for the conflict, fears a worsening of the situation", with further consequences of hunger and misery.
Another Syrian Catholic Bishop, who requested anonymity, explains to Fides Agency: "Today it is impossible to imagine the future of this country, once a peaceful land and home for all refugees of the Middle East. The most dramatic thing has been the absence of any form of dialogue in the last three years, while anguish and despair inhabit these people".
"This conflict - continues the Bishop - has turned Syria into a battlefield, destroying the world of work, the innocence of childhood, the peace of families, as well as infrastructure, schools, places of worship, houses and hospitals". "It is a cruel tragedy - he concludes - a small nation carries such a heavy cross, in silence". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 30/08/2013)
- 2015-03-05 - The Syrian Parliament commemorates the Armenian Genocide
- 2015-03-04 - The "rebels" say no to truce in Aleppo. Bishop Abou Khazen: powers from outside plan our torture
- 2015-02-27 - Anguish for Christians held hostage by jihadists; Syrian Catholic Archbishop Hindo: avoid unnecessary alarm
- 2015-02-26 - The jihadists of the Islamic State deport Christian prisoners of the villages of Khabur
- 2015-02-25 - Christian villages attacked: more than 100 hostages in the hands of the jihadists; Archbishop Hindo denounces the "wretched" choices of the West
- 2015-02-24 - Islamic State jihadists attack Christian villages along the river Khabur
- 2015-02-20 - Syrian-Orthodox priest detained by Kurds is released
- 2015-02-19 - Orthodox priest and laity arrested by Kurd military
- 2015-02-06 - Kurdish Militia regain control of Tel Hormuz, reestablished the cross removed by jihadists
- 2015-02-06 - Bombing in Damascus, the Franciscan monastery attacked in the area of Bab Touma