ASIA/SYRIA - Archbishop Matta Roham : "It is easy to launch air strikes, difficult to stop the consequences"
Hassaké (Agenzia Fides ) - "It is easy to pave the way for air strikes on Syria, but it is difficult to end the war and the consequences of these attacks throughout the Middle East": is the comment, entrusted to Fides Agency by Eustathius Matta Roham, Syro-Orthodox Metropolitan Archbishop of "Jazirah and Euphrates", worried and saddened by the situation that the country is experiencing . "Everywhere, in Syria and outside Syria , the faithful are praying to ward off an attack by foreign countries against Syria and in order to build peace in the whole region. We all pray that our Lord Jesus Christ enlightens the minds of the people in power, so that they act according to justice and peace, for the sake of human beings".
The Archbishop informs Fides Agency on the situation in the governorate of Hassake, in eastern Syria, bordering Turkey and Iraq. "Flights at the civil airport of Kamichly, as well as in all other Syrian airports are blocked. Even ground transportation from Kamichly to all other Syrian cities and to Lebanon are blocked. The population, already suffering for the conflict, fears a worsening of the situation", with further consequences of hunger and misery.
Another Syrian Catholic Bishop, who requested anonymity, explains to Fides Agency: "Today it is impossible to imagine the future of this country, once a peaceful land and home for all refugees of the Middle East. The most dramatic thing has been the absence of any form of dialogue in the last three years, while anguish and despair inhabit these people".
"This conflict - continues the Bishop - has turned Syria into a battlefield, destroying the world of work, the innocence of childhood, the peace of families, as well as infrastructure, schools, places of worship, houses and hospitals". "It is a cruel tragedy - he concludes - a small nation carries such a heavy cross, in silence". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 30/08/2013)
- 2014-10-13 - The five Christians of the Orontes Valley, who were still being held by jihadists, have been released
- 2014-10-10 - Five Christians of the Orontes Valley still held by Islamic jihadists
- 2014-10-09 - Father Jallouf Hanna has been released
- 2014-10-09 - ASIA/SYRIA – The four women abducted along with Father Hanna have been released; no message from the kidnappers
- 2014-10-08 - The Franciscan priest kidnapped after he had appealed to the Islamic Court
- 2014-10-07 - Custody of the Holy Land: Fr. Jallouf and other Christians kidnapped by the jihadists linked to al-Nusra
- 2014-10-07 - Bishop Khazen confirms: a priest and twenty Christians of the village of Knayeh have been kidnapped
- 2014-10-02 - Massacre of children in Homs; three Christians kidnapped in the province of Hassaké
- 2014-09-24 - Armenian Archbishop of Aleppo: for the people, the perpetrators of the raids are certainly not "liberators"
- 2014-09-22 - The jihadists of the Islamic State destroy the memorial church of the Armenian Genocide in Deir el-Zor