AFRICA/CONGO DR - New bombing on Goma, but the rebels have suffered heavy losses
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Still more bombing on Goma, the capital of North Kivu ( eastern Democratic Republic of Congo) where the regular Congolese army, supported by the Brigade for UN intervention, is fighting against the rebels of the M23.
At least two artillery shells hit Goma in the evening of 28 August, say to Fides Agency sources of the local civil society. The shots, one of which crashed near the airport, killing a Tanzanian Blue Helmet and injured at least 22 people. Our sources say that despite the bombing, "the losses inflicted on the M23 are incalculable at a material and human level. We learned that the M23 and its allies of the RDF (Rwanda Defence Forces, the Rwandese army) have lost several men, including officers".
Civil society in North Kivu denounces the support given by the Rwandan army to the M23, saying that strong contingents of Rwandan troops are deployed in two places beyond the border and are preparing to bomb Congolese soldiers to support the M23 on the run.
Civil society in North Kivu also claims that the last artillery fire that hit Goma were fired from the territory of Rwanda. "We learn - says the statement sent to Fides - that Colonel Ninja, a former FDLR ( Democratic Front for the Liberation of Rwanda), now part of the Rwandan regular army, has received the order from the military hierarchy of Rwanda, to launch an assault on Goma. We warn, therefore, government authorities, MONUSCO and diplomatic missions accredited in DRC" to take measures to prevent the offensive. ( L.M. ) (Agenzia Fides 29/08/2013 )
- 2015-04-10 - "The massacres in Butembo are a crime against humanity" denounce religious orders in the area
- 2015-04-09 - The opposition demands an investigation into the mass grave discovered 80 km from Kinshasa
- 2015-04-08 - Volcanoes erupting, wars, lack of infrastructure, extreme poverty and schooling for a few
- 2015-03-31 - The creation of new provinces is likely to result in a postponement of local elections
- 2015-03-18 - New violence in North Kivu: "there is an attempt to block the operations against the FDLR" denounces civil society
- 2015-03-12 - Alarm for the recruitment of young Muslims in eastern Congo
- 2015-02-27 - A priest killed in the east of the Country; the Bishop of Goma denounces insecurity in the area
- 2015-02-25 - Strong humanitarian concern for the announced offensive against Rwandan rebels
- 2015-02-23 - “Government must guarantee freedom of press”: appeal following closure of several broadcasters including Kinshasa’s Catholic TV
- 2015-02-21 - AFRICA/ DR CONGO – Election calendar made public: eight elections in two years