AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Real believers are working for peace", say Christian and Muslim leaders
Abuja (Agenzia Fides ) - "Those who claim to know God must love his neighbor and live in peace with everyone", said Cardinal John Olorunfemi Onaiyekan, Archbishop of Abuja to the interfaith seminar held at the Central Mosque of the Nigerian capital.
The meeting between Christian and Muslim youths, organized by the National Council of Muslim Youth Organizations (NACOMYO) and the Catholic Youth Organization (CYON), was focused on the themes of dialogue and peace.
In his speech titled "Ignorance of the Scriptures is ignorance of the Almighty God, a Christian perspective". Cardinal Onaiyekan remarked that "the great value in every religion and in every human society is to go beyond coexistence and to work for cooperation and solidarity. All of us who in Nigeria take religion seriously, have to work for religious harmony, peaceful coexistence and solidarity. Only in this way religion is not a curse but a blessing that comes from God".
Other speakers, Christians and Muslims, highlighted how the Bible and the Qur'an affirm the essential values for believers of peace and solidarity.
Alhaji Karshi, Imam of the Mosque of Area 11 of Abuja finally pointed out that anyone who destroys lives and property in the name of protecting Islam, is not a true Muslim. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 29/08/2013)
- 2015-11-18 - New attack in the northeast while the President denounces: "the army sabotaged by corruption"
- 2015-11-12 - Bishop of Maiduguri's appeal: "We need concrete help for displaced people affected by Boko Haram"
- 2015-10-22 - Fresh attacks by Boko Haram, US intensifies military assistance to threatened countries
- 2015-09-28 - Bishops: "Need to diversify the economy in order to avoid our young people to migrate to Europe"
- 2015-09-23 - Despite the attacks, the displaced return to Maiduguri; 3 priests ordained in a community ransacked by Boko Haram
- 2015-09-17 - 60% of children are victims of abuse and violence of all kinds
- 2015-09-10 - Another priest kidnapped; more and more religious victims of road ambushes
- 2015-09-02 - Bishops support President Buhari's campaign against corruption
- 2015-08-17 - Claretian Missionary priest killed in road ambush
- 2015-07-16 - "If Boko Haram succeed in cutting us off from the other part of Nigeria, Maiduguri is doomed"