AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Real believers are working for peace", say Christian and Muslim leaders
Abuja (Agenzia Fides ) - "Those who claim to know God must love his neighbor and live in peace with everyone", said Cardinal John Olorunfemi Onaiyekan, Archbishop of Abuja to the interfaith seminar held at the Central Mosque of the Nigerian capital.
The meeting between Christian and Muslim youths, organized by the National Council of Muslim Youth Organizations (NACOMYO) and the Catholic Youth Organization (CYON), was focused on the themes of dialogue and peace.
In his speech titled "Ignorance of the Scriptures is ignorance of the Almighty God, a Christian perspective". Cardinal Onaiyekan remarked that "the great value in every religion and in every human society is to go beyond coexistence and to work for cooperation and solidarity. All of us who in Nigeria take religion seriously, have to work for religious harmony, peaceful coexistence and solidarity. Only in this way religion is not a curse but a blessing that comes from God".
Other speakers, Christians and Muslims, highlighted how the Bible and the Qur'an affirm the essential values for believers of peace and solidarity.
Alhaji Karshi, Imam of the Mosque of Area 11 of Abuja finally pointed out that anyone who destroys lives and property in the name of protecting Islam, is not a true Muslim. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 29/08/2013)
- 2015-05-08 - Kidnapped priest released
- 2015-05-07 - Catholic priest Kidnapped
- 2015-04-29 - The Nigerian army have expressed joy for the release of hostages held by the Boko Haram Islamist sect and sorrow for the discovery of mass graves
- 2015-04-14 - Mgr. Kaigama: "It is worrying that we do not know anything about the Chibok girls one year after their kidnapping"
- 2015-04-14 - The Bishops in Ibadan: "We are concerned about the violation regarding the sanctity of life"
- 2015-04-08 - "Do not give in to the temptation of revenge", says the Bishop of Maiduguri to the displaced persons who have returned to their destroyed homes
- 2015-04-01 - Muhammadu Buhari elected President; Bishops invite to respect the result
- 2015-03-30 - "Boko Haram failed to prevent the holding of elections", says the Bishop of Maiduguri
- 2015-03-28 - Caritas: "There is hope of allowing refugees to return to their homes, but destruction is enormous"
- 2015-03-27 - On the eve of the vote 90% of the areas freed from Boko Haram; "Why was it not done before?"