AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Real believers are working for peace", say Christian and Muslim leaders
Abuja (Agenzia Fides ) - "Those who claim to know God must love his neighbor and live in peace with everyone", said Cardinal John Olorunfemi Onaiyekan, Archbishop of Abuja to the interfaith seminar held at the Central Mosque of the Nigerian capital.
The meeting between Christian and Muslim youths, organized by the National Council of Muslim Youth Organizations (NACOMYO) and the Catholic Youth Organization (CYON), was focused on the themes of dialogue and peace.
In his speech titled "Ignorance of the Scriptures is ignorance of the Almighty God, a Christian perspective". Cardinal Onaiyekan remarked that "the great value in every religion and in every human society is to go beyond coexistence and to work for cooperation and solidarity. All of us who in Nigeria take religion seriously, have to work for religious harmony, peaceful coexistence and solidarity. Only in this way religion is not a curse but a blessing that comes from God".
Other speakers, Christians and Muslims, highlighted how the Bible and the Qur'an affirm the essential values for believers of peace and solidarity.
Alhaji Karshi, Imam of the Mosque of Area 11 of Abuja finally pointed out that anyone who destroys lives and property in the name of protecting Islam, is not a true Muslim. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 29/08/2013)
- 2014-08-22 - More than 11,000 people fleeing due to the conquest of their city by Boko Haram
- 2014-08-20 - "Ill-gotten wealth from oil bunkering could be used to destabilize", said the Bishop of Umuahia
- 2014-08-19 - AFRICA/NIGERIA – "It is worrying to see Boko Haram trying to conquer territories", said the Archbishop of Lagos
- 2014-08-06 - New attacks against Catholic churches. The details of the attack in Kano perpetrated by a female suicide bomber
- 2014-07-17 - The President intends to ask a billion dollars to fight Boko Haram
- 2014-07-07 - More than two thousand women widowed largely by the Boko Haram insurgency assisted by the Diocese of Maiduguri
- 2014-06-30 - New attacks in the north: the Bishop of Maiduguri, "the human mind cannot understand what is going on"
- 2014-06-26 - "Let us seek the path of dialogue to end violence", says to Fides Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2014-06-11 - The Bishops: "necessary to ensure the rights of all religions throughout the Country"
- 2014-06-10 - "Yes to amnesty for Boko Haram, as long as there is sincere repentance and compensation for the victims" says Cardinal Onaiyekan