AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Real believers are working for peace", say Christian and Muslim leaders
Abuja (Agenzia Fides ) - "Those who claim to know God must love his neighbor and live in peace with everyone", said Cardinal John Olorunfemi Onaiyekan, Archbishop of Abuja to the interfaith seminar held at the Central Mosque of the Nigerian capital.
The meeting between Christian and Muslim youths, organized by the National Council of Muslim Youth Organizations (NACOMYO) and the Catholic Youth Organization (CYON), was focused on the themes of dialogue and peace.
In his speech titled "Ignorance of the Scriptures is ignorance of the Almighty God, a Christian perspective". Cardinal Onaiyekan remarked that "the great value in every religion and in every human society is to go beyond coexistence and to work for cooperation and solidarity. All of us who in Nigeria take religion seriously, have to work for religious harmony, peaceful coexistence and solidarity. Only in this way religion is not a curse but a blessing that comes from God".
Other speakers, Christians and Muslims, highlighted how the Bible and the Qur'an affirm the essential values for believers of peace and solidarity.
Alhaji Karshi, Imam of the Mosque of Area 11 of Abuja finally pointed out that anyone who destroys lives and property in the name of protecting Islam, is not a true Muslim. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 29/08/2013)
- 2013-11-25 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Cardinal Onaiyekan’s prudence on the news of Christian women abducted by Boko Haram and forcibly converted to Islam
- 2013-11-22 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The existence of many Pentecostal churches is no impediment to the evangelization mission of the Catholic Church", said Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2013-11-14 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Good knowledge of other religions at the basis for dialogue between Christians and Muslims"
- 2013-11-13 AFRICA/NIGERIA - The Nigerian deputies open an investigation into the management of oil
- 2013-11-07 AFRICA/NIGERIA - A stampede left at least 28 people dead during a prayer vigil
- 2013-10-16 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The Church urged to reduce poverty", says the Director of Caritas
- 2013-09-30 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Boko Haram is now composed of fanatics that affect Christians and Muslims," said Bishop Kaigama
- 2013-09-20 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "I am happy to be a Catholic" Holy Childhood celebrates the Year of Faith
- 2013-09-20 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Boko Haram has no qualms in killing innocent people", said Mgr. Kaigama
- 2013-09-16 AFRICA/NIGERIA - The Bishops denounce "the attempts of foreign agencies to introduce unhealthy values in society"