ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Pope Francis to the Archdiocese of Seoul : "The martyrs as the way of faith and evangelization"
Seoul (Agenzia Fides) - Pope Francis "prays that the Month of Korean Martyrs can be an opportunity for pilgrims to rekindle the faith in their hearts and so commit themselves more fully to the urgent task of evangelization": as reported to Fides by the Archdiocese of Seoul, this is the wish expressed by the pope in a letter to the Archbishop His Exc. Mgr. Yeom Soo- jung and to the Catholic community, on the occasion of the "Month of Martyrs". The Archdiocese has in fact proclaimed the month of September "month of martyrs", inviting the faithful to reflect, pray and deepen the meaning of martyrdom in their personal and community history. In the "Roman Martyrology", in fact , the memory of the Korean Martyrs is celebrated on 20 September, when they remember the 103 martyrs in Korea, including Saints Andrew Kim Tae-gon, priest, Paul Chong Ha-sang and three bishops, eight priests and other lay faithful. For the "Month of martyrs", the Archdiocese of Seoul called the "pilgrimage routes" those that link the commemorative churches and holy sites within the city, thus activating special "martyrs routes" that the faithful will be able to retrace. The opening ceremony of the initiative, centered on the theme "I am the way, the truth and the life" (John 14:6), will be held in Myeongdong Cathedral, on September 2. As reported to Fides, His Holiness trusts that "all who participate in pilgrimages during this month, aided by the prayers and example of the martyrs, will deepen their communion with the Lord Jesus Christ who laid down his life that we might share in the inestimable gift of eternal life.". The Pope entrusts all the pilgrims "to the powerful intercession of Mary, Mother of the Church, and the prayers of the martyrs of Korea then all the pilgrims". (PA ) (Agenzia Fides 29/08/2013 )
- 2014-09-02 - ASIA/SOUTH KOREA – A missionary says “thank you Pope Francis: now it is up to us”
- 2014-08-18 - The Bishops: "The hug towards the disabled: the most significant moment of the Pope's visit"
- 2014-07-14 - The site of the Pope's trip to Korea is online
- 2014-06-27 - The Asian Bishops: "The Pope with our young people: an event of grace"
- 2014-06-12 - New commitment to enhance the ecumenical movement: social evangelization and missionary initiatives
- 2014-05-26 - South Korea invites a group of North Korean Catholics to the Pope's Mass in Seoul
- 2014-05-21 - The Cardinal of Seul visits North Korea
- 2014-04-25 - Annual Workshop of Caritas: Communicate to evangelize
- 2014-03-26 - "Small Christian Communities" instrument of evangelization
- 2014-03-14 - Church and government engaged in the Pope's visit; boom of participants at the Asian Youth Day