ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Pope Francis to the Archdiocese of Seoul : "The martyrs as the way of faith and evangelization"
Seoul (Agenzia Fides) - Pope Francis "prays that the Month of Korean Martyrs can be an opportunity for pilgrims to rekindle the faith in their hearts and so commit themselves more fully to the urgent task of evangelization": as reported to Fides by the Archdiocese of Seoul, this is the wish expressed by the pope in a letter to the Archbishop His Exc. Mgr. Yeom Soo- jung and to the Catholic community, on the occasion of the "Month of Martyrs". The Archdiocese has in fact proclaimed the month of September "month of martyrs", inviting the faithful to reflect, pray and deepen the meaning of martyrdom in their personal and community history. In the "Roman Martyrology", in fact , the memory of the Korean Martyrs is celebrated on 20 September, when they remember the 103 martyrs in Korea, including Saints Andrew Kim Tae-gon, priest, Paul Chong Ha-sang and three bishops, eight priests and other lay faithful. For the "Month of martyrs", the Archdiocese of Seoul called the "pilgrimage routes" those that link the commemorative churches and holy sites within the city, thus activating special "martyrs routes" that the faithful will be able to retrace. The opening ceremony of the initiative, centered on the theme "I am the way, the truth and the life" (John 14:6), will be held in Myeongdong Cathedral, on September 2. As reported to Fides, His Holiness trusts that "all who participate in pilgrimages during this month, aided by the prayers and example of the martyrs, will deepen their communion with the Lord Jesus Christ who laid down his life that we might share in the inestimable gift of eternal life.". The Pope entrusts all the pilgrims "to the powerful intercession of Mary, Mother of the Church, and the prayers of the martyrs of Korea then all the pilgrims". (PA ) (Agenzia Fides 29/08/2013 )
- 2015-11-26 - Prayer initiative for the Jubilee: "The Church in North Korea is in my heart"
- 2015-11-23 - Beyond the peripheries, in search of the "run-away teenagers"
- 2015-11-16 - The closeness of the Church in Korea to French nationals
- 2015-10-27 - Catholic priests from South Korea participate at mass in Pyongyang
- 2015-09-26 - Prayers for peace in the Church closer to the demilitarized zone
- 2015-09-23 - Young people on a mission with a smartphone
- 2015-09-01 - Young friends of the environment, starting from small daily practices
- 2015-07-24 - ASIA/KOREA – Appointment of Auxiliary Bishop of Suwon
- 2015-06-23 - A new United Nations Office for Human Rights focused on North Korea, opens in Seoul
- 2015-06-19 - Prayer and fasting for peace and reconciliation in Korea