ASIA/SYRIA - Nobel Prize Laureate Maguire: "A military action will destabilize the Middle East, we need a political solution"
Belfast (Agenzia Fides) - "A military action of the U.S. or NATO forces will not solve the problems of Syria. It could lead to the death of thousands of Syrians and the shattering of Syria. It will mean the further escape of Syrians of surrounding countries and destabilize the entire Middle East, leaving the area in the grip of violence out of control": this is the warning launched by Mairead Maguire, Nobel Prize Laureate for Peace in 1976, for her work in North Ireland, and responsible of the NGO "Peace People".
In a note sent to Fides, Maguire, who carried out a peace mission in Syria in May 2013, explains: "The people of Syria ask for peace and reconciliation and a political solution to the Syrian crisis, which continues to be inflamed by outside forces, with thousands of foreign fighters, financed by foreign countries, for their own political interests". Maguire said to have met many people and groups in Syria who, even in the civil conflict, "work to build peace and reconciliation".
In the present scenario and the question of the use of chemical weapons, Maguire asks that "light is to be shed, allowing UN inspectors to ascertain the truth, with irrefutable evidence". Encouraging, therefore, the work of the International Commission of Inquiry, the Nobel Peace Laureate appeals to the Foreign ministers of France and Great Britain because "as desired by the Syrian people, follow dialogue and negotiation as the path to resolve the conflict".
Recalling the failure of the military actions in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya, the note concludes: "Violence is not the answer, let us give peace a chance". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 28/08/2013)
- 2015-07-21 - Archbishop Hindo becomes "almost-mayor" of Hassaké
- 2015-07-20 - Armenians and Kurds fight together against the jihadists in Hassaké
- 2015-07-17 - Archbishop Antiba confirms the kidnapping of Father Antoine Boutros and his collaborator
- 2015-07-16 - A Melkite priest in the Syrian province of al-Suwayda missing. A kidnapping is feared
- 2015-07-07 - Cautious hopes for the release of the Franciscan parish priest taken away by jihadists
- 2015-06-30 - Thousands of Christian families fleeing Hassakè. Archbishop Hindo: jihadists have found support in the local population
- 2015-06-26 - ASIA/SYRIA – Mass escape from Hassaké, attacked by the jihadists of Daesh. Bishop Audo: "the agenda" of the forces is not clear
- 2015-06-24 - Jihadist attacks in Hassaké. Archbishop Hindo: "they are a sign of weakness and desperation"
- 2015-06-16 - The central districts of Aleppo attacked by rebels
- 2015-06-15 - Patriarchs and Bishops of the Eastern Churches pray together for peace and commemorate the centenary of the "Assyrian Genocide" in Damascus