ASIA/SYRIA - Nobel Prize Laureate Maguire: "A military action will destabilize the Middle East, we need a political solution"
Belfast (Agenzia Fides) - "A military action of the U.S. or NATO forces will not solve the problems of Syria. It could lead to the death of thousands of Syrians and the shattering of Syria. It will mean the further escape of Syrians of surrounding countries and destabilize the entire Middle East, leaving the area in the grip of violence out of control": this is the warning launched by Mairead Maguire, Nobel Prize Laureate for Peace in 1976, for her work in North Ireland, and responsible of the NGO "Peace People".
In a note sent to Fides, Maguire, who carried out a peace mission in Syria in May 2013, explains: "The people of Syria ask for peace and reconciliation and a political solution to the Syrian crisis, which continues to be inflamed by outside forces, with thousands of foreign fighters, financed by foreign countries, for their own political interests". Maguire said to have met many people and groups in Syria who, even in the civil conflict, "work to build peace and reconciliation".
In the present scenario and the question of the use of chemical weapons, Maguire asks that "light is to be shed, allowing UN inspectors to ascertain the truth, with irrefutable evidence". Encouraging, therefore, the work of the International Commission of Inquiry, the Nobel Peace Laureate appeals to the Foreign ministers of France and Great Britain because "as desired by the Syrian people, follow dialogue and negotiation as the path to resolve the conflict".
Recalling the failure of the military actions in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya, the note concludes: "Violence is not the answer, let us give peace a chance". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 28/08/2013)
- 2015-05-22 - ASIA/SYRIA – Fr. Jacques Murad kidnapped; he belonged to the same community of Father Paolo Dall'Oglio
- 2015-05-13 - Raid of the coalition in the Khabur valley; Assyrian hostages are likely to become "human shields"
- 2015-05-08 - Chaldean Bishop of Aleppo: in dirty wars in the Middle East there are those who exploit the suffering of Christians
- 2015-04-30 - Archbishop Hindo: "jihadi attack warded off in Hassaké. Deadlock in negotiations for the release of Assyrian hostages"
- 2015-04-17 - Christian Cemeteries vandalized in Mosul and in Galilee
- 2015-04-17 - The Syrian government dedicates a garden to the Martyrs of the Assyrian Genocide in the center of Damascus
- 2015-04-15 - The Heads of the Christian communities in Aleppo: is it the time of the Resurrection of the Savior or the funeral of his disciples?
- 2015-04-14 - Bombings on Christian neighborhoods in Aleppo, also two young Salesian animators killed
- 2015-04-09 - Caritas operator dies in the bombing in Aleppo
- 2015-04-01 - Idlib in the hands of jihadists. Orthodox priest kidnapped