ASIA/SYRIA - Nobel Prize Laureate Maguire: "A military action will destabilize the Middle East, we need a political solution"
Belfast (Agenzia Fides) - "A military action of the U.S. or NATO forces will not solve the problems of Syria. It could lead to the death of thousands of Syrians and the shattering of Syria. It will mean the further escape of Syrians of surrounding countries and destabilize the entire Middle East, leaving the area in the grip of violence out of control": this is the warning launched by Mairead Maguire, Nobel Prize Laureate for Peace in 1976, for her work in North Ireland, and responsible of the NGO "Peace People".
In a note sent to Fides, Maguire, who carried out a peace mission in Syria in May 2013, explains: "The people of Syria ask for peace and reconciliation and a political solution to the Syrian crisis, which continues to be inflamed by outside forces, with thousands of foreign fighters, financed by foreign countries, for their own political interests". Maguire said to have met many people and groups in Syria who, even in the civil conflict, "work to build peace and reconciliation".
In the present scenario and the question of the use of chemical weapons, Maguire asks that "light is to be shed, allowing UN inspectors to ascertain the truth, with irrefutable evidence". Encouraging, therefore, the work of the International Commission of Inquiry, the Nobel Peace Laureate appeals to the Foreign ministers of France and Great Britain because "as desired by the Syrian people, follow dialogue and negotiation as the path to resolve the conflict".
Recalling the failure of the military actions in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya, the note concludes: "Violence is not the answer, let us give peace a chance". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 28/08/2013)
- 2015-03-24 - The Islamic State shows a video of an Assyrian Christian who "converted" to Islam
- 2015-03-20 - Assyrian Bishop writes to the jihadists: our Church does not identify itself with any armed group
- 2015-03-18 - Catholic Bishops meet in Homs
- 2015-03-18 - Patriarch Gregoire III: "one is inconsiderate to invoke external military interventions to defend Christians in the Middle East"
- 2015-03-18 - Millions of children deprived of education: schools destroyed or used as shelters for the displaced
- 2015-03-16 - The US "open" up to talks with Assad. Archbishop Hindo: forced choice
- 2015-03-14 - The Jubilee seen from Aleppo. Bishop Abou Khazen: only mercy can save us from hatred and heal wounds
- 2015-03-11 - Uncertainty about the fate of Christians held hostage by jihadists
- 2015-03-05 - The Syrian Parliament commemorates the Armenian Genocide
- 2015-03-04 - The "rebels" say no to truce in Aleppo. Bishop Abou Khazen: powers from outside plan our torture