ASIA/SYRIA - Nobel Prize Laureate Maguire: "A military action will destabilize the Middle East, we need a political solution"
Belfast (Agenzia Fides) - "A military action of the U.S. or NATO forces will not solve the problems of Syria. It could lead to the death of thousands of Syrians and the shattering of Syria. It will mean the further escape of Syrians of surrounding countries and destabilize the entire Middle East, leaving the area in the grip of violence out of control": this is the warning launched by Mairead Maguire, Nobel Prize Laureate for Peace in 1976, for her work in North Ireland, and responsible of the NGO "Peace People".
In a note sent to Fides, Maguire, who carried out a peace mission in Syria in May 2013, explains: "The people of Syria ask for peace and reconciliation and a political solution to the Syrian crisis, which continues to be inflamed by outside forces, with thousands of foreign fighters, financed by foreign countries, for their own political interests". Maguire said to have met many people and groups in Syria who, even in the civil conflict, "work to build peace and reconciliation".
In the present scenario and the question of the use of chemical weapons, Maguire asks that "light is to be shed, allowing UN inspectors to ascertain the truth, with irrefutable evidence". Encouraging, therefore, the work of the International Commission of Inquiry, the Nobel Peace Laureate appeals to the Foreign ministers of France and Great Britain because "as desired by the Syrian people, follow dialogue and negotiation as the path to resolve the conflict".
Recalling the failure of the military actions in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya, the note concludes: "Violence is not the answer, let us give peace a chance". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 28/08/2013)
- 2015-02-26 - The jihadists of the Islamic State deport Christian prisoners of the villages of Khabur
- 2015-02-25 - Christian villages attacked: more than 100 hostages in the hands of the jihadists; Archbishop Hindo denounces the "wretched" choices of the West
- 2015-02-24 - Islamic State jihadists attack Christian villages along the river Khabur
- 2015-02-20 - Syrian-Orthodox priest detained by Kurds is released
- 2015-02-19 - Orthodox priest and laity arrested by Kurd military
- 2015-02-06 - Kurdish Militia regain control of Tel Hormuz, reestablished the cross removed by jihadists
- 2015-02-06 - Bombing in Damascus, the Franciscan monastery attacked in the area of Bab Touma
- 2014-12-05 - Melkite Patriarch Grégoire III: al Azhar Conference “fundamental event”. Islamist ideology harms both Christians and Muslims
- 2014-12-01 - Civil war is causing the loss of a generation of children
- 2014-11-15 - 25 Christian families still in Raqqa. Obligation to pay a "protection tax"