ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Archbishop of Seoul and Cardinal Grocholewski: education as a means of evangelization in Asia
Seoul (Agenzia Fides) – Re-launching education and the formation of the clergy as a way to evangelize Asian nations: is the orientation which emerged during the talks between the Archbishop of Seoul, His Exc. Mgr. Yeom Soo-jung and Cardinal Zenon Grocholewski, Prefect of the Congregation for Catholic Education, present in past days in South Korea to attend the conference of ASEACCU (the Association of Catholic colleges and universities in Southeast and East Asia), held at the Catholic University in Seoul.
As reported to Fides Agency, Cardinal Grocholewski said he was "very surprised by the vastness of the Archdiocese of Seoul," saying that "with about 400 major seminarians, Seoul has an important role in the future of the Church in Asia". In fact, the Cardinal added, "the future of the Catholic Church depends on the quality of the priests".
The Archbishop of Seoul willingly accepted the invitation, noting: "The Archdiocese of Seoul is willing to support not only the Korean Church, but also other Churches which are suffering or are in need. We will do our best to help the evangelization of the Church in Asia".
Cardinal Grocholewski, also interested in the history of the Korean Church, said that "the history of Christianity in Korea can be measured in terms of sacrifice and martyrdom. The Church has grown thanks to the efforts of the laity.
This is a very particular history, which no other Church in the world has". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 27/08/2013)
- 2015-04-10 - From the disaster in Sewol, a seed of peace and resurrection
- 2015-03-11 - Bishops: "Be a poor Church for the poor"
- 2014-11-12 - Catholic students: bring the message of Christ in schools and universities
- 2014-11-03 - The Church encourages the Small Christian communities to strengthen their faith and to proclaim the Gospel
- 2014-09-02 - ASIA/SOUTH KOREA – A missionary says “thank you Pope Francis: now it is up to us”
- 2014-08-18 - The Bishops: "The hug towards the disabled: the most significant moment of the Pope's visit"
- 2014-07-14 - The site of the Pope's trip to Korea is online
- 2014-06-27 - The Asian Bishops: "The Pope with our young people: an event of grace"
- 2014-06-12 - New commitment to enhance the ecumenical movement: social evangelization and missionary initiatives
- 2014-05-26 - South Korea invites a group of North Korean Catholics to the Pope's Mass in Seoul