ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Archbishop of Seoul and Cardinal Grocholewski: education as a means of evangelization in Asia
Seoul (Agenzia Fides) – Re-launching education and the formation of the clergy as a way to evangelize Asian nations: is the orientation which emerged during the talks between the Archbishop of Seoul, His Exc. Mgr. Yeom Soo-jung and Cardinal Zenon Grocholewski, Prefect of the Congregation for Catholic Education, present in past days in South Korea to attend the conference of ASEACCU (the Association of Catholic colleges and universities in Southeast and East Asia), held at the Catholic University in Seoul.
As reported to Fides Agency, Cardinal Grocholewski said he was "very surprised by the vastness of the Archdiocese of Seoul," saying that "with about 400 major seminarians, Seoul has an important role in the future of the Church in Asia". In fact, the Cardinal added, "the future of the Catholic Church depends on the quality of the priests".
The Archbishop of Seoul willingly accepted the invitation, noting: "The Archdiocese of Seoul is willing to support not only the Korean Church, but also other Churches which are suffering or are in need. We will do our best to help the evangelization of the Church in Asia".
Cardinal Grocholewski, also interested in the history of the Korean Church, said that "the history of Christianity in Korea can be measured in terms of sacrifice and martyrdom. The Church has grown thanks to the efforts of the laity.
This is a very particular history, which no other Church in the world has". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 27/08/2013)
- 2013-11-27 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Controversy between a priest and the Korean President: the Archbishop of Seoul invites priests not to get involved in politics
- 2013-11-05 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Christians in prayer for reconciliation between North and South, in the demilitarized zone
- 2013-10-30 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Bishop of Mongolia: "Thanks for the missionary commitment of the Korean Church"
- 2013-10-03 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - In mission among the poor and marginalized in the "existential suburbs" of Suwon
- 2013-10-03 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Over 45 thousand faithful attend Cardinal Filoni’s Mass for the Jubilee of the Diocese of Suwon
- 2013-09-30 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Archbishop of Seoul: "Cardinal Filoni’s visit is an incentive for the Church in Korea that wants to be missionary"
- 2013-09-16 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Korean Bishops' Pilgrimage on foot to martyrs' shrines
- 2013-08-29 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Pope Francis to the Archdiocese of Seoul : "The martyrs as the way of faith and evangelization"
- 2013-08-27 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Archbishop of Seoul and Cardinal Grocholewski: education as a means of evangelization in Asia
- 2013-08-19 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Archbishop of Seoul: "Let us entrust to Mary the reconciliation between the Koreas"