AMERICA/PERU - Campaign against human trafficking and the sexual exploitation of minors
Lima (Agenzia Fides) - Human trafficking is a crime that does not respect the fundamental rights of people, depriving them of their freedom and violates their dignity. To address the problem, the ministries for Women and Vulnerable Populations and Foreign Trade and Tourism, together with the International Organisation for Migration and the National Superintendent of Migration, have organized the awareness campaign "Peru united against human trafficking and the sexual exploitation of boys, girls and adolescents". The initiative was recently presented in Lima airport. The goal was to emphasize the fact that the Latin American Country does not tolerate this type of crime that affects women in particular. Posters and information brochures were distributed to warn people against these crimes that take place in the airport of the capital. Human trafficking involves kidnapping, welcoming or receiving people through coercion or violence with the aim of subjecting the victim to forced labor or sexual exploitation. The regions where there is the greatest number of cases of sexual exploitation of minors are the southern cities of Cuzco, Puno and Arequipa, northern Piura, Iquitos and Lima. According to local statistics, between 2004 and 2011 974 victims were registered, 92% of whom were women. The presentation of this campaign is the preamble of the activities that will start next September, the month dedicated to the fight against this serious crime. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 23/08/2013)
- 2015-11-24 - Preparations are underway for the beatification of the first missionary martyrs of Peru
- 2015-11-16 - Each year leukemia affects the health of 1,200 poor children
- 2015-11-10 - More than 3,000 participants at the III National Missionary Congress: to relaunch the missionary parish
- 2015-11-07 - The program for the beatification of three priests killed in 1991 by the Shining Path presented to Parliament
- 2015-10-30 - Annual report on Indigenous women and girls: victims of violence, atrocities and humiliations
- 2015-10-19 - Share the beauty of consecrated life with a testimony of joy
- 2015-10-07 - The preparation for the beatification of the three missionaries killed in 1991 continues
- 2015-09-24 - Mgr. Piorno to the authorities involved in court proceedings: "The best thing is to resign, for the tranquility of the population"
- 2015-09-08 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "the solution to insecurity is not lynching"
- 2015-09-02 - A month dedicated to combatting human trafficking