AMERICA/PERU - Campaign against human trafficking and the sexual exploitation of minors
Lima (Agenzia Fides) - Human trafficking is a crime that does not respect the fundamental rights of people, depriving them of their freedom and violates their dignity. To address the problem, the ministries for Women and Vulnerable Populations and Foreign Trade and Tourism, together with the International Organisation for Migration and the National Superintendent of Migration, have organized the awareness campaign "Peru united against human trafficking and the sexual exploitation of boys, girls and adolescents". The initiative was recently presented in Lima airport. The goal was to emphasize the fact that the Latin American Country does not tolerate this type of crime that affects women in particular. Posters and information brochures were distributed to warn people against these crimes that take place in the airport of the capital. Human trafficking involves kidnapping, welcoming or receiving people through coercion or violence with the aim of subjecting the victim to forced labor or sexual exploitation. The regions where there is the greatest number of cases of sexual exploitation of minors are the southern cities of Cuzco, Puno and Arequipa, northern Piura, Iquitos and Lima. According to local statistics, between 2004 and 2011 974 victims were registered, 92% of whom were women. The presentation of this campaign is the preamble of the activities that will start next September, the month dedicated to the fight against this serious crime. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 23/08/2013)
- 2014-07-26 - 193 years of independent and Catholic life
- 2014-07-07 - The President receives requests to stop the law on therapeutic abortion
- 2014-07-04 - School conditions for poor Ashaninkas children
- 2014-07-02 - Legislation for therapeutic abortion is "immoral, unconstitutional and illegal"
- 2014-06-23 - Disabled children integrated in public schools in the south-west area of the Country
- 2014-06-13 - Denunciation of the Bishop of Puerto Maldonado for the violent intervention of the police against the miners
- 2014-05-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "to link all to criminality is just junk journalism"
- 2014-05-17 - Ceramic workshop in prison, with the help of the local Church
- 2014-04-16 - Small producers of pineapple take a step forward in the domestic market, with the support of Caritas
- 2014-04-02 - More than 600 former child workers have started school in the province of Chiclayo