AMERICA/ECUADOR - Over 4 million working children engaged in high-risk activities
Quito (Agenzia Fides) - In Ecuador there are about 4.2 million boys, girls and adolescent workers in the age group between 5 and 17 years. Of these 359,597, l '8.56%, are exploited in high-risk activities. This is what emerges in the study carried out by the Ecuadorian Institute of Statistics and Census (INEC). The phenomenon is particularly serious in the provinces of Cotopaxi, Bolívar, Chimborazo, and in rural areas where they receive an average salary of $ 100 a month. Social authorities are committed to protecting these young victims, in order not to deprive them of their childhood and their fundamental right to study. One of the positive goals achieved in the Country was the elimination of child labor in landfills, one of the worst forms of child exploitation. Now, the new goal to be achieved by 2020 is to eradicate any type of work that involves exploitation of children. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 22/08/2013)
- 2015-10-05 - Improving access to education for children
- 2015-09-29 - "Supportive and welcoming border": Ecuador and Peru against trafficking and exploitation
- 2015-08-01 - Papal altar to serve as parish church
- 2015-07-08 - "We also want to be missionaries" says the indigenous representative to the Pope
- 2015-07-07 - The Pope's visit "will mark a before and after with regards to the situation in the country"
- 2015-07-06 - 10 000 from Santo Domingo to Quito for the Pope's Mass
- 2015-06-26 - Still demonstrations against President Correa
- 2015-06-17 - Bishops: dialogue is the only path to find solutions, violence is always destructive
- 2015-04-17 - Floods favor the spread of the chikungunya virus
- 2015-01-29 - The country remembers "the Bishop of the Indios"