ASIA/PAKISTAN - Archbishop Coutts to the leaders of society: "All eyes are on Pope Francis’ humility"
Karachi (Agenzia Fides) - For professionals, managers, social and political leaders, "Pope Francis’ humility can be a valuable source of inspiration. If you really want to become agents of transformation and social change, I suggest you keep your eyes on Pope Francis":This is what His Exc. Mgr. Joseph Coutts, Archbishop of Karachi and President of the Episcopal Conference of Pakistan said in a speech to the leaders of society, culture, politics and the business community in Pakistan.
In the message, sent to Fides Agency, the Archbishop indicates Pope Francis as a possible model to follow especially for some of the characteristics of humility, saying: "He is working in an excellent way for change. He chose the name Francis referring to St. Francis of Assisi, a saint who is loved not only by Christians but also by Muslims, Hindus and Buddhists for his works of peace. The Pope’s power is not political but a power of service and love: he chose to leave his papal apartment and has been living in simplicity. He visited prisoners and washed their feet. He loves to meet and spend time with ordinary people".
The Archbishop spoke to an audience of graduates, professionals and leaders gathered in the Institute Notre Dame of Karachi, at a seminar held recently, titled "Social transformation and change", organized by the Catholic association "Jesus Youth Pakistan" ( JYP).
The seminar was aimed at helping leaders, executives, managers, teachers, engineers, businessmen that work in society, in the field of education, culture, business, politics, to think about how to promote effective change in society: a transformation that focuses on the promotion of rights and values, the dignity of persons, according to the criteria of equality, justice and fraternity. In the seminar it was clearly stated that "to change society we must start by changing ourselves". The Franciscan Fr. Peter Moughal, OFM, one of the speakers at the conference, told participants: "To be a successful leader, you must serve with humility. Jesus gave his life for others, and each of you has a special mission of evangelization". (AG-PA) (Agenzia Fides 22/08/2013)
- 2014-09-30 - Pastor Zafar Bhatti is alive, another inmate wounded
- 2014-09-29 - Christian girl raped, the perpetrators film the violence
- 2014-09-27 - The Pastor killed in prison is "a new martyr"
- 2014-09-26 - Christian accused of blasphemy murdered in prison: condemnation of the Bishops
- 2014-09-22 - IS is looking for recruits in Pakistan, Christians are appealing to the government
- 2014-09-19 - Muslim leader accused of blasphemy killed: civil society meeting to ask for harmony
- 2014-09-18 - Execution of a person sentenced to death has been suspended
- 2014-09-17 - The Commission "Justice and Peace": stop the executioner, Pakistan must not go back in time
- 2014-09-11 - Christian family flees to save their daughters from forced conversion to Islam
- 2014-09-10 - Severe floods, Caritas sends volunteers