ASIA/PAKISTAN - Archbishop Coutts to the leaders of society: "All eyes are on Pope Francis’ humility"
Karachi (Agenzia Fides) - For professionals, managers, social and political leaders, "Pope Francis’ humility can be a valuable source of inspiration. If you really want to become agents of transformation and social change, I suggest you keep your eyes on Pope Francis":This is what His Exc. Mgr. Joseph Coutts, Archbishop of Karachi and President of the Episcopal Conference of Pakistan said in a speech to the leaders of society, culture, politics and the business community in Pakistan.
In the message, sent to Fides Agency, the Archbishop indicates Pope Francis as a possible model to follow especially for some of the characteristics of humility, saying: "He is working in an excellent way for change. He chose the name Francis referring to St. Francis of Assisi, a saint who is loved not only by Christians but also by Muslims, Hindus and Buddhists for his works of peace. The Pope’s power is not political but a power of service and love: he chose to leave his papal apartment and has been living in simplicity. He visited prisoners and washed their feet. He loves to meet and spend time with ordinary people".
The Archbishop spoke to an audience of graduates, professionals and leaders gathered in the Institute Notre Dame of Karachi, at a seminar held recently, titled "Social transformation and change", organized by the Catholic association "Jesus Youth Pakistan" ( JYP).
The seminar was aimed at helping leaders, executives, managers, teachers, engineers, businessmen that work in society, in the field of education, culture, business, politics, to think about how to promote effective change in society: a transformation that focuses on the promotion of rights and values, the dignity of persons, according to the criteria of equality, justice and fraternity. In the seminar it was clearly stated that "to change society we must start by changing ourselves". The Franciscan Fr. Peter Moughal, OFM, one of the speakers at the conference, told participants: "To be a successful leader, you must serve with humility. Jesus gave his life for others, and each of you has a special mission of evangelization". (AG-PA) (Agenzia Fides 22/08/2013)
- 2015-01-30 - Anti-Charlie Hebdo protesters storm Christian school
- 2015-01-29 - Legal battle for the custody of the children of the Christian couple burned alive
- 2015-01-28 - Taseer murder, justice to the test
- 2015-01-26 - New church dedicated to Saint Teresa Benedicta of the Cross, in an area where poor families live
- 2015-01-17 - Conversions and forced marriages legitimized by the High Court
- 2015-01-16 - The Director of a Christian magazine: "With the Pope we say no to the vilification of Islam"
- 2015-01-13 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – A mentally disabled man killed on charges of blasphemy
- 2015-01-12 - A hall of Christian worship set on fire: faithful in terror
- 2015-01-08 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – Attack in Paris: "Not in the name of Allah"
- 2015-01-07 - Hundreds of children are starving to death because of the drought in the south of the Country