AFRICA/EGYPT - "I thank those who from all over the world express solidarity with the Egyptian people", said Mgr. Zakaria
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - "The security situation is improving, partly because some extremist leaders inciting young people to violence have been caught. We are still locked in the house, but the soldiers have brought us bread", says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Youhannes Zakaria, Coptic Catholic Bishop of Luxor who has been living locked up in the Bishopric for twenty days because of the violence that hit Egypt (see Fides 20/08/2013).
"Tomorrow, 22 August, according to the Julian calendar we will celebrate the Assumption, with a Mass to be held in the morning instead of at night, for safety reasons. The celebrations this year will be in an extremely reduced form because we have to be careful how we move. But thanks to the police and the military, we have been feeling more confident in the past few days", said the Bishop.
Mgr. Zakaria also thanked "those who from all over the world have expressed their solidarity with the Egyptian people. I received phone calls from the United States, a Bishop called me from Germany. They all said they listened to Pope Francis’ appeal to pray for peace for Egypt. This solidarity has moved me".
"All the Egyptian people who are suffering, Muslims and Christians are united in suffering the violence of extremists. So I ask everyone to continue to pray for Egypt", concluded Mgr. Zakaria. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 21/08/2013)
- 2014-04-16 - Candidates Sabbahi and al-Sisi at the Easter Vigil to be celebrated by Coptic Pope Tawadros
- 2014-03-31 - The false accusations against St. Catherine's Monastery have been rejected
- 2014-03-29 - Clashes after the Islamist assault on a church. Four dead
- 2014-03-26 - AFRICA/EGYPT – Board of inquiry: violence against Copts continues
- 2014-03-25 - Coptic Catholic Bishop on the sentences regarding the Muslim Brotherhood: the Church is always against the death penalty
- 2014-03-24 - Patriarch Tawadros: the so-called "Arab Spring" was actually a winter
- 2014-03-06 - AFRICA/EGYPT – Coptic politician Shukrallah: what worries me is the possible return of the military to power
- 2014-03-01 - 62nd Catholic Festival of Egyptian Cinema opening ceremony
- 2014-02-25 - AFRICA/EGYPT – New rules for election of Orthodox Coptic Pope examined by civil authorities
- 2014-02-25 - “These extremists are shedding innocent blood to get more visibility” says Archbishop Martinelli