AFRICA/EGYPT - "I thank those who from all over the world express solidarity with the Egyptian people", said Mgr. Zakaria
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - "The security situation is improving, partly because some extremist leaders inciting young people to violence have been caught. We are still locked in the house, but the soldiers have brought us bread", says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Youhannes Zakaria, Coptic Catholic Bishop of Luxor who has been living locked up in the Bishopric for twenty days because of the violence that hit Egypt (see Fides 20/08/2013).
"Tomorrow, 22 August, according to the Julian calendar we will celebrate the Assumption, with a Mass to be held in the morning instead of at night, for safety reasons. The celebrations this year will be in an extremely reduced form because we have to be careful how we move. But thanks to the police and the military, we have been feeling more confident in the past few days", said the Bishop.
Mgr. Zakaria also thanked "those who from all over the world have expressed their solidarity with the Egyptian people. I received phone calls from the United States, a Bishop called me from Germany. They all said they listened to Pope Francis’ appeal to pray for peace for Egypt. This solidarity has moved me".
"All the Egyptian people who are suffering, Muslims and Christians are united in suffering the violence of extremists. So I ask everyone to continue to pray for Egypt", concluded Mgr. Zakaria. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 21/08/2013)
- 2014-10-21 - Pilgrimages in the footsteps of the Holy Family
- 2014-10-17 - Egyptian Family House grows, liaison body between Muslims and Christians
- 2014-10-09 - The children of a school take position against separated classes, based on religion
- 2014-10-03 - Intimidation against Copts who do not pay their "taxes" to a Muslim clan
- 2014-09-29 - The Coptic woman who had disappeared returns home: she did not convert but had been kidnapped
- 2014-09-27 - New rules for the construction of churches: Christians prepare their proposal
- 2014-09-25 - Kidnappings continue to the detriment of the Copts, a dentist kidnapped killed
- 2014-09-19 - The army rebuilds a Catholic school devastated by Islamists in Beni Suef
- 2014-07-24 - AFRICA/EGYPT – There is no Christian in St. Anthony Abate’s hometown
- 2014-07-17 - A bill to ensure and regulate the construction of churches is being studied