AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Dengue and poverty affect the indigenous of the north of the Country
Salta (Agenzia Fides) - The Aboriginal community in northern Argentina is the most exposed to epidemics of dengue fever, a disease that goes hand in hand with the state of poverty and a way of life which does not cover the basic needs of the population. In fact, over 80% of Aboriginal people live in precarious conditions and do not have drinking water. The complaint was launched by the Argentine health care community and the World Health Organization (WHO). However, dengue is just one of the problems these people have to face, along with poverty and lack of education.
According to the local health care authorities, it is not accidental that the pandemic in the region of Salta, where Guaraní, Chame and Ava-Guaraní ethnic groups live, propagated from Tartagal, where the population is already suffering a catastrophe originated from deforestation and other epidemics. As it is no coincidence that the epicenter is el Chaco, where Wichis, Tapiete, Chorote, Chulupi and Tobas prevail, also impoverished because of deforestation. The places that receive water from the tanks are the most vulnerable. In 2003 and 2004, there were major outbreaks of dengue fever in Argentina, but the worst was recorded in 2009 with over 26,000 people infected and 5 deaths. The Ministry has warned of a possible proliferation due to infections recorded in neighboring countries such as Paraguay, where in 2012 there were 30,823 cases and 70 deaths, in Brazil, where in November 2012 there were 565,510 confirmed cases and 247 deaths, and in Bolivia, where in mid-January, 2013, there were 3,028. Today, dengue is present in 100 countries around the world, including almost the whole of Latin America and South East Asia. It is estimated that globally every year between 50 and 100 million people are infected and that 500,000 are affected by the hemorrhagic form, so far the lethal form of the desease has caused 22,000 deaths. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 21/08/2013)
- 2015-09-01 - "We cannot accept violence, we have to react": the Archbishop of Cordoba at the funeral of the murdered priest
- 2015-08-31 - Meeting of the PMS of Cone sur: from Ad Gentes to Evangelii Gaudium
- 2015-08-18 - “They steal not only the people’s money but also their hope” Bishop Lozano denounces
- 2015-08-05 - Argentina recalls the murder of Mgr. Angelelli who opposed to dictatorship
- 2015-07-22 - "Bring Christ to families": hundreds of young people on a mission to Goya
- 2015-07-21 - "Mission, a way of life": towards the fourth National Meeting of Missionary Groups
- 2015-07-15 - Nearly 30 percent of Argentines live in a situation of poverty
- 2015-07-10 - The Archbishop of Tucuman denounces: laws that violate the rights and freedom of conscience, attacks against the Church, a climate of fear
- 2015-06-24 - Bishop of Jujuy: "We need the State’s strong support against drugs"
- 2015-06-18 - The first Congress on intercultural and interreligious dialogue