AMERICA/PARAGUAY - Condemnation of the Church for the killings in the area of Tacuati, where the army has intervened
Asuncion (Agenzia Fides) - The Press Office of the Episcopal Conference of Paraguay (CEP), sent a statement to Fides Agency where the anger of the bishops of Paraguay is expressed for the murder of five people in the area of Tacuatí, Department of San Pedro, which took place on August 17.
"The bishops express their condolences, their spiritual closeness and solidarity to the families and friends of the victims", the statement said.
"The Church urges the authorities to make every effort to clarify the facts, identify those responsible and apply the penalties provided by law. At the same time, calls on all citizens to work for harmony and pacification of spirits", the statement concluded.
According to information sent to Fides Agency in the area of Tacuati, some members of the Paraguayan People's Army (EPP) ambushed one of the patrols of the National Police which caused the death of five policemen and the serious wounding of two others. The area of the attack is controlled by the EPP which has arrogated to itself the right to prevent the entry to anyone without their permission.
The President of the Republic, Horacio Cartes declared the "state of exception" in the area which suspends constitutional guarantees in order to allow the sending of the army. A hundred military of the army and air force have already been sent to the area.
According to the Paraguayan media, the local population has approved the military intervention.
Last May, the EPP killed an entrepreneur, owner of a large farm that gave work to many families in the area, and since then there have been threats and killings by guerrillas. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/08/2013)
- 2013-12-07 AMERICA/PARAGUAY - Citizens outraged by politicians, the Bishops denounce corruption
- 2013-10-19 AMERICA/PARAGUAY - Children, adolescents and mothers: main victims of dengue
- 2013-08-21 AMERICA/PARAGUAY - Condemnation of the Church for the killings in the area of Tacuati, where the army has intervened
- 2013-08-02 AMERICA/PARAGUAY - Land to farmers to restore their hope and fight poverty
- 2013-05-03 AMERICA/PARAGUAY - 70,000 confirmed cases of dengue
- 2013-04-22 AMERICA/PARAGUAY - Horacio Cartes elected President
- 2013-04-19 AMERICA/PARAGUAY – Vote-buying is a serious sin ", warns the Apostolic Vicar of Pilcomayo
- 2013-04-19 AMERICA/PARAGUAY - "The elections are an example of civilization to strengthen democracy," the Bishops hope
- 2013-03-06 AMERICA/PARAGUAY - "Education is the key to the development of the country": Assembly of Bishops has begun
- 2012-12-17 AMERICA/PARAGUAY - The Family and the Year of Faith at the centre of the 40th mission in Argentina