EUROPE/SPAIN - The number of Spanish families assisted by Caritas exceeds that of immigrants
Almeria (Agenzia Fides) - "Our intervention regards the situation of the new poor who, after having lost their jobs and overwhelmed by the tax burden, knock on the doors of Caritas to meet the basic needs of their family. Our mission is to help them, especially when the authorities look the other way", said the director of Caritas provincial, Andres Asensio Martinez in presenting the report on the activities in 2012 of the diocesan Caritas of Almeria. In the 38-page document, sent to Fides, the activity carried out is clearly explained and points out the 93,593 interventions in favor of families and individuals.
To be precise 62,108 families and 31,485 individuals turned to the structures of Caritas, mainly to ask for food, clothing, medication and assistance to children.
"We have to say – says the note - that the number of Spanish families (4.652) was higher than that of immigrants (3,844), which together received more than one million kilos in foodstuffs (1,025,471 kg)".
"Finally, we must point out that all the work done by Caritas in this area is carried out thanks to the 764 volunteers, of whom 727 are engaged in their volunteer work in the parishes", the statement concludes. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 20/08/2013)
- 2015-03-02 - Not always employment is the way out of social exclusion
- 2015-02-26 - Despite the crisis, the PMS in Spain has increased the support for missions by 20%
- 2015-02-13 - "The way we treat immigrants today will leave a mark in our history"
- 2015-01-09 - Bishops appeal to the government: listen to immigrants before expelling them
- 2014-12-04 - EUROPE/SPAIN – Fund raising Christmas markets in aid of HIV positive and abused children in Zimbabwe
- 2014-12-04 - EUROPE/SPAIN – Missionaries victims of Ebola: we remember our missionaries, what they do and for whom they work
- 2014-10-31 - Alarm tuberculosis: outdated policies will not be able to stop the peak of TB drug-resistant strains
- 2014-10-31 - Caritas Spain receives an award "for the defense of the rights of the people"
- 2014-10-23 - Every year 100,000 Christians die because of religious persecution
- 2014-10-23 - Concerned about "our" problems, while thousands of people die every day