EUROPE/SPAIN - The number of Spanish families assisted by Caritas exceeds that of immigrants
Almeria (Agenzia Fides) - "Our intervention regards the situation of the new poor who, after having lost their jobs and overwhelmed by the tax burden, knock on the doors of Caritas to meet the basic needs of their family. Our mission is to help them, especially when the authorities look the other way", said the director of Caritas provincial, Andres Asensio Martinez in presenting the report on the activities in 2012 of the diocesan Caritas of Almeria. In the 38-page document, sent to Fides, the activity carried out is clearly explained and points out the 93,593 interventions in favor of families and individuals.
To be precise 62,108 families and 31,485 individuals turned to the structures of Caritas, mainly to ask for food, clothing, medication and assistance to children.
"We have to say – says the note - that the number of Spanish families (4.652) was higher than that of immigrants (3,844), which together received more than one million kilos in foodstuffs (1,025,471 kg)".
"Finally, we must point out that all the work done by Caritas in this area is carried out thanks to the 764 volunteers, of whom 727 are engaged in their volunteer work in the parishes", the statement concludes. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 20/08/2013)
- 2014-08-04 - EUROPE/SPAIN – Celebration for 484 missionaries of Palencia around the world
- 2014-07-22 - March for solidarity: 1600 million unemployed and 400 million young slaves in the world
- 2014-07-01 - The emerging phenomenon of women who are victims of sexual exploitation and trafficking
- 2014-05-23 - 'Sueños de un niño soldado': project of a school for child soldiers in North Kivu
- 2014-05-20 - "Ad gentes Missionary vocation", the main form of missionary cooperation
- 2014-05-02 - More than half a million women die each year in developing Countries during pregnancy and childbirth tneestneestnenestndneatnjdneat
- 2014-04-04 - An army of women and children who collect garbage to earn a living
- 2014-03-06 - Seven out of ten poor people in the world are women who have no rights and education
- 2014-01-22 - "Invisible Victims": meeting of the Network for the fight against human trafficking
- 2013-09-24 - The Year of Faith: Catechesis of the Bishop of Palencia for the internet