EUROPE/SPAIN - The number of Spanish families assisted by Caritas exceeds that of immigrants
Almeria (Agenzia Fides) - "Our intervention regards the situation of the new poor who, after having lost their jobs and overwhelmed by the tax burden, knock on the doors of Caritas to meet the basic needs of their family. Our mission is to help them, especially when the authorities look the other way", said the director of Caritas provincial, Andres Asensio Martinez in presenting the report on the activities in 2012 of the diocesan Caritas of Almeria. In the 38-page document, sent to Fides, the activity carried out is clearly explained and points out the 93,593 interventions in favor of families and individuals.
To be precise 62,108 families and 31,485 individuals turned to the structures of Caritas, mainly to ask for food, clothing, medication and assistance to children.
"We have to say – says the note - that the number of Spanish families (4.652) was higher than that of immigrants (3,844), which together received more than one million kilos in foodstuffs (1,025,471 kg)".
"Finally, we must point out that all the work done by Caritas in this area is carried out thanks to the 764 volunteers, of whom 727 are engaged in their volunteer work in the parishes", the statement concludes. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 20/08/2013)
- 2015-09-23 - International Day against human trafficking
- 2015-07-23 - Trafficking of human persons, "flourishing business on the increase”
- 2015-07-17 - Priest stabbed to death on the doorstep
- 2015-07-07 - Cardinal Filoni in Burgos: "Can we say that the people of God today are missionary people?"
- 2015-05-21 - Hunger is not inevitable: 350 thousand children in the world against child malnutrition
- 2015-05-21 - Support for an alternative model for the regional economy developed by Caritas
- 2015-05-13 - Minerals, cause of conflicts in the world: NGOs ask the EU for "a strong law"
- 2015-04-24 - Migrants: disappointment for the CIE Regulation, approved a year ago and still unrealized
- 2015-04-21 - The Bishops in assembly: Mission, emigration and social crisis
- 2015-03-31 - UNHCR report: Almost 6000 applications for asylum in Spain in 2014