EUROPE/SPAIN - The number of Spanish families assisted by Caritas exceeds that of immigrants
Almeria (Agenzia Fides) - "Our intervention regards the situation of the new poor who, after having lost their jobs and overwhelmed by the tax burden, knock on the doors of Caritas to meet the basic needs of their family. Our mission is to help them, especially when the authorities look the other way", said the director of Caritas provincial, Andres Asensio Martinez in presenting the report on the activities in 2012 of the diocesan Caritas of Almeria. In the 38-page document, sent to Fides, the activity carried out is clearly explained and points out the 93,593 interventions in favor of families and individuals.
To be precise 62,108 families and 31,485 individuals turned to the structures of Caritas, mainly to ask for food, clothing, medication and assistance to children.
"We have to say – says the note - that the number of Spanish families (4.652) was higher than that of immigrants (3,844), which together received more than one million kilos in foodstuffs (1,025,471 kg)".
"Finally, we must point out that all the work done by Caritas in this area is carried out thanks to the 764 volunteers, of whom 727 are engaged in their volunteer work in the parishes", the statement concludes. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 20/08/2013)
- 2014-03-06 EUROPE/SPAIN - Seven out of ten poor people in the world are women who have no rights and education
- 2014-01-22 EUROPE/SPAIN - "Invisible Victims": meeting of the Network for the fight against human trafficking
- 2013-09-24 EUROPE/SPAIN - The Year of Faith: Catechesis of the Bishop of Palencia for the internet
- 2013-08-20 EUROPE/SPAIN - The number of Spanish families assisted by Caritas exceeds that of immigrants
- 2013-07-17 EUROPE/SPAIN - Educational programs for 250,000 blind children around the world
- 2013-06-04 EUROPE/SPAIN - Millions of children sold as slaves around the world
- 2013-05-24 EUROPE/SPAIN - Africa Day: Economic growth is not reflected on the population
- 2013-03-14 EUROPE/SPAIN - Enthusiasm for the new Pope and waiting for further progress against hunger and poverty
- 2013-02-28 EUROPE/SPAIN - Hispanic-American Day: "America, Doors open to the mission"
- 2013-01-31 EUROPE/SPAIN - "There is no justice without equality": the crisis has worsened the poverty of women and girls around the world