AMERICA/BRAZIL - "The Church and the Quilombolas communities", a publication that will make history
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - "The Church and the Quilombolas communities" is available to the public, a study approved by the 51st General Assembly of the CNBB (National Conference of Bishops of Brazil), in April this year, prepared by a working group established by the Episcopal Pastoral Commission for the Charity, Justice and Peace Service.
As explained by the President of the Commission, Mgr. Guilherme Werlang in the note sent to Fides, "The purpose of this text is to contribute to the work of the Church in the Quilombolas communities. To appraise and protect their rights of life, culture, traditions, beliefs, and everything that belongs to them".
Bishops, priests and anthropologists worked on this project for almost a year. "We looked at the situation of these people and we intend, with this document, to report the Quilombolas communities struggle for justice", said Mgr. Jose Valdeci Santos Mendes, Bishop of the Diocese of Brejo (MA).
The Catholic Church, on several occasions, intervened in defense of the Quilombolas peoples (see Fides 26/04/2012) and also accompanied the demands of the Movement Quilombola of Maranhão (see Fides 01/03/2013). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/08/2013)
- 2014-08-22 - AMERICA/BRAZIL – The "Ecumenism and the Missions" Symposium begins
- 2014-07-23 - Mission to relieve: a challenge for evangelization; the Missionary Campaign 2014 begins
- 2014-07-18 - The first "National Catholic Congress online" for those working in the field of evangelization
- 2014-07-16 - A photo exhibition on the 33 years of fighting for the rights of indigenous peoples arrives in Manaus
- 2014-07-04 - "Immediate answers concerning the issue of immigrants are urgently needed"
- 2014-06-30 - Exploitation of children: from the World Cup to the Winter Olympics 2016
- 2014-06-24 - "Mission to relieve" the missionary campaign against human trafficking in persons
- 2014-06-23 - The tragedy of child prostitution behind the glitz of the World Cup
- 2014-06-17 - Social inclusion and missionary work, the commitment of the Church in Brazil for Haiti continues
- 2014-06-12 - The World Cup begins with a "Red Card to Child Labour"