AMERICA/BRAZIL - "The Church and the Quilombolas communities", a publication that will make history
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - "The Church and the Quilombolas communities" is available to the public, a study approved by the 51st General Assembly of the CNBB (National Conference of Bishops of Brazil), in April this year, prepared by a working group established by the Episcopal Pastoral Commission for the Charity, Justice and Peace Service.
As explained by the President of the Commission, Mgr. Guilherme Werlang in the note sent to Fides, "The purpose of this text is to contribute to the work of the Church in the Quilombolas communities. To appraise and protect their rights of life, culture, traditions, beliefs, and everything that belongs to them".
Bishops, priests and anthropologists worked on this project for almost a year. "We looked at the situation of these people and we intend, with this document, to report the Quilombolas communities struggle for justice", said Mgr. Jose Valdeci Santos Mendes, Bishop of the Diocese of Brejo (MA).
The Catholic Church, on several occasions, intervened in defense of the Quilombolas peoples (see Fides 26/04/2012) and also accompanied the demands of the Movement Quilombola of Maranhão (see Fides 01/03/2013). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/08/2013)
- 2015-07-01 - The indifference of the state in the face of a situation of injustice denounced by the Bishop of Dourados
- 2015-06-25 - More than 20,000 people every week prepare themselves for the feast of Our Lady of Perpetual Help
- 2015-06-23 - Report of CIMI: suicide and infant mortality are decimating the indigenous population
- 2015-06-16 - On the border between Peru and Bolivia, crossroads of migrants
- 2015-06-16 - "No to prejudice, yes to rights and participation": week of Migrants
- 2015-06-10 - From Haiti to Brazil in the hands of human traffickers, with the hope of a better future
- 2015-05-27 - Bishops’ refelection: "Thinking Brazil", social inequalities in Brazil
- 2015-05-22 - More than 630,000 signatures for political Reform and transparent elections
- 2015-05-02 - Bishops' Message for May 1st: "We cannot live with slave labor"
- 2015-04-29 - "They kill to intimidate": another indigenous leader killed, the complaint of CIMI