AMERICA/BRAZIL - "The Church and the Quilombolas communities", a publication that will make history
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - "The Church and the Quilombolas communities" is available to the public, a study approved by the 51st General Assembly of the CNBB (National Conference of Bishops of Brazil), in April this year, prepared by a working group established by the Episcopal Pastoral Commission for the Charity, Justice and Peace Service.
As explained by the President of the Commission, Mgr. Guilherme Werlang in the note sent to Fides, "The purpose of this text is to contribute to the work of the Church in the Quilombolas communities. To appraise and protect their rights of life, culture, traditions, beliefs, and everything that belongs to them".
Bishops, priests and anthropologists worked on this project for almost a year. "We looked at the situation of these people and we intend, with this document, to report the Quilombolas communities struggle for justice", said Mgr. Jose Valdeci Santos Mendes, Bishop of the Diocese of Brejo (MA).
The Catholic Church, on several occasions, intervened in defense of the Quilombolas peoples (see Fides 26/04/2012) and also accompanied the demands of the Movement Quilombola of Maranhão (see Fides 01/03/2013). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/08/2013)
- 2015-01-28 - Missionaries study "concentration and manipulation of the media"
- 2015-01-12 - Recalling the earthquake in Haiti with the testimony of Zilda Arns
- 2014-12-15 - cultural immersion before the mission
- 2014-12-02 - In Haiti, the needs are still so many, the commitment of the religious women of Brazil continues
- 2014-11-24 - There are now 500 thousand signatures which have been collected for the Democratic Political Reform
- 2014-11-20 - Support of the Church with regards to the formation of political consciousness for democratic reform
- 2014-10-27 - Beatification of the co-founder of the Scalabrinians: "May the whole Church be missionary of truth, mother Assunta did it"
- 2014-10-27 - Dilma Rousseff re-elected President with a narrow margin: she will have to face recession, corruption and discontent
- 2014-10-24 - AMERICA/BRAZIL – Bishops’ statement: "No backtrack on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples"
- 2014-09-24 - Missionary Campaign 2014: One cannot combat human trafficking without combatting poverty and inequality