AMERICA/BRAZIL - "The Church and the Quilombolas communities", a publication that will make history
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - "The Church and the Quilombolas communities" is available to the public, a study approved by the 51st General Assembly of the CNBB (National Conference of Bishops of Brazil), in April this year, prepared by a working group established by the Episcopal Pastoral Commission for the Charity, Justice and Peace Service.
As explained by the President of the Commission, Mgr. Guilherme Werlang in the note sent to Fides, "The purpose of this text is to contribute to the work of the Church in the Quilombolas communities. To appraise and protect their rights of life, culture, traditions, beliefs, and everything that belongs to them".
Bishops, priests and anthropologists worked on this project for almost a year. "We looked at the situation of these people and we intend, with this document, to report the Quilombolas communities struggle for justice", said Mgr. Jose Valdeci Santos Mendes, Bishop of the Diocese of Brejo (MA).
The Catholic Church, on several occasions, intervened in defense of the Quilombolas peoples (see Fides 26/04/2012) and also accompanied the demands of the Movement Quilombola of Maranhão (see Fides 01/03/2013). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/08/2013)
- 2015-09-16 - "How many people have to die before they have justice?", since 1983 at least 50 indigenous leaders have been killed
- 2015-09-15 - Preparation for World Mission Sunday 2015 begins
- 2015-09-14 - Early Marriages: still half a million young newlyweds between 15 to 17 years of age
- 2015-09-03 - The memory of the missionary Fr. Ezechiele Ramin is still alive even 30 years after his assassination
- 2015-08-28 - Scalabrinians: international meeting to find new answers to the issue of migration
- 2015-08-19 - "Church and mining activity": testimonies and experiences in defense of life and territories
- 2015-08-18 - Local Catholic Church demands guaranteed rights for migrants
- 2015-08-13 - Tension between Haitians and locals, Haitian citizen mortally wounded
- 2015-08-11 - National Family Week, an event that grows in Brazil
- 2015-08-08 - Pilgrimage in the heart of the Amazon in defense of creation and to remember Sister Dorothy Stang