AMERICA/BRAZIL - "The Church and the Quilombolas communities", a publication that will make history
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - "The Church and the Quilombolas communities" is available to the public, a study approved by the 51st General Assembly of the CNBB (National Conference of Bishops of Brazil), in April this year, prepared by a working group established by the Episcopal Pastoral Commission for the Charity, Justice and Peace Service.
As explained by the President of the Commission, Mgr. Guilherme Werlang in the note sent to Fides, "The purpose of this text is to contribute to the work of the Church in the Quilombolas communities. To appraise and protect their rights of life, culture, traditions, beliefs, and everything that belongs to them".
Bishops, priests and anthropologists worked on this project for almost a year. "We looked at the situation of these people and we intend, with this document, to report the Quilombolas communities struggle for justice", said Mgr. Jose Valdeci Santos Mendes, Bishop of the Diocese of Brejo (MA).
The Catholic Church, on several occasions, intervened in defense of the Quilombolas peoples (see Fides 26/04/2012) and also accompanied the demands of the Movement Quilombola of Maranhão (see Fides 01/03/2013). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/08/2013)
- 2015-04-01 - The Bishops' of Paranà: "We too suffer with the people ..."
- 2015-03-18 - Report on conflicts over water in Brazil: 42 000 families involved
- 2015-03-05 - A march for Women's Day in Brasilia:"Religions for women's rights"
- 2015-02-25 - Mobilization for political Reform and transparent elections continues
- 2015-02-18 - Fraternity Campaign 2015 starts today, theme "Brotherhood: Church and Society "
- 2015-02-16 - Ten years ago the assassination of Sr Dorothy Stang, a seed which is bearing copious fruit
- 2015-02-06 - Missionary organizations at work in 2015: Permanent formation and suburbs
- 2015-01-28 - Missionaries study "concentration and manipulation of the media"
- 2015-01-12 - Recalling the earthquake in Haiti with the testimony of Zilda Arns
- 2014-12-15 - cultural immersion before the mission