EUROPE/PORTUGAL - National Migration Week, an opportunity to express faith and charity
Lisbon (Agenzia Fides) - The Portuguese Catholic Society of Migration (OCPM) is preparing the 41st national week dedicated to migrants and refugees, to be held from August 11 to 18, and hopes that this meeting is "a special moment of attention to the Portuguese around the world".
The peak of this initiative can be seen in the annual pilgrimage of migrants to the Shrine of Fatima, on 12 and 13 August, which this year will be presided by Mgr. Jean Claude Hollerich, Archbishop of Luxembourg, where there is a large community of Portuguese immigrants.
"The continued growth of Portuguese immigrants who, with the crisis that Portugal is experiencing, will be even greater in the future, requires pastoral structures of the Church with a stronger commitment and greater material effort to support those who seek us for help", says the leader of OCPM in a note sent to Fides by "Missionary Fatima", inviting all sectors of the Church to welcome the National Migration Week as "a special moment of communion with all the migrants". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/08/2013)
- 2014-01-21 - The whole Church is involved in the problem of migration
- 2013-08-10 - National Migration Week, an opportunity to express faith and charity
- 2012-12-12 - Recognition of Parliament to Caritas, for the protection of social rights and the fight against poverty
- 2012-10-30 - Catholic organizations denounce the social regression and the increase of poverty
- 2011-10-05 - Volunteer Missionary: more than 1,130 youth and adults involved this year in carrying out projects in 4 continents
- 2011-09-29 - Solidarity, forgiveness, sharing: fourth national meeting of young people sponsored by the SVD
- 2011-08-18 - In the Year of Voluntary, the National Missionary Days on "Voluntary work and Mission"
- 2011-07-22 - Voluntary Missionary: 1,130 Portuguese around the world, many will spend their holidays in mission lands
- 2011-01-17 - Christian charity has a great evangelising force in the measure in which it leaves the sign of God's love among men
- 2010-10-21 - Message from Bishop of Setubal for World Mission Sunday: Catholics should not think Christianity is irrelevant for society