AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Violence of the Seleka rebels continues against civilians, a missionary denounces
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) – Violence against civilians committed by the rebel coalition Seleka continues in the Central African Republic. As reported to Fides Agency by Fr. Aurelio Gazzera, more than a thousand people have arrived in Bozoum (a town of 25 000 inhabitants 400 km from the capital, Bangui), fleeing from their villages.
The villages in question (Bossa, Bódalo, Kemo, Ouham Bac and Bowe) are situated between 65 and 120 km from Bozoum. According to the note sent to Fides, on July 25, members of Seleka from Bossangoa arrived in Bossa, in search of the mayor. The population took refuge in the forest. After an initial looting, the rebels apparently had withdrawn, but returned at around 11 at night to carry out a systematic looting house by house. The rebel raid resulted in the death of an adult and a child of just 5 months old. The rebels also took six hostages, and led them to Ouham Bac. 6 of the two hostages were killed (among them was the son of the vice-mayor), another was injured and yet another was severely beaten
According to the last census in Bódalo there are 848 inhabitants; 1314 in Bossa; 568 in Ouham Bac; 358 in Bowe; while for Kemo Fr. Aurelio did not find any data.
Fr. Aurelio has been a Carmelite missionary in Central Africa since 1992, who since 2003 has been working in Bozoum. (L.M) (Agenzia Fides 09/08/2013)
- 2015-12-01 - "Pope Francis' visit will leave a deep mark in the hearts of Central Africans" says a missionary
- 2015-11-30 - The Bishop of Bangassou:"Pope Francis managed to leave all Central Africans with a smile"
- 2015-11-23 - The video message from Pope Francis brought to the Muslims by the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2015-10-28 - Archbishop of Bangui tells Fides that he was not kidnapped during a visit to the Central Mosque
- 2015-10-14 - The PMS invite to "put an end to hostility and bickering" and ask for sanctions and compensation
- 2015-10-01 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – More clashes, but people want the stability of institutions
- 2015-09-29 - Thousands of people find refuge in parishes
- 2015-09-29 - Bangui in chaos: the reconstruction of the accidents, towards an uncertain future
- 2015-09-08 - Archbishop of Bangui: "Authority and the international community have to take on their responsibility to stop the violence"
- 2015-08-19 - The 2015 Sergio Vieira de Mello Prize will be awarded to the Interfaith Peace Platform