AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Violence of the Seleka rebels continues against civilians, a missionary denounces
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) – Violence against civilians committed by the rebel coalition Seleka continues in the Central African Republic. As reported to Fides Agency by Fr. Aurelio Gazzera, more than a thousand people have arrived in Bozoum (a town of 25 000 inhabitants 400 km from the capital, Bangui), fleeing from their villages.
The villages in question (Bossa, Bódalo, Kemo, Ouham Bac and Bowe) are situated between 65 and 120 km from Bozoum. According to the note sent to Fides, on July 25, members of Seleka from Bossangoa arrived in Bossa, in search of the mayor. The population took refuge in the forest. After an initial looting, the rebels apparently had withdrawn, but returned at around 11 at night to carry out a systematic looting house by house. The rebel raid resulted in the death of an adult and a child of just 5 months old. The rebels also took six hostages, and led them to Ouham Bac. 6 of the two hostages were killed (among them was the son of the vice-mayor), another was injured and yet another was severely beaten
According to the last census in Bódalo there are 848 inhabitants; 1314 in Bossa; 568 in Ouham Bac; 358 in Bowe; while for Kemo Fr. Aurelio did not find any data.
Fr. Aurelio has been a Carmelite missionary in Central Africa since 1992, who since 2003 has been working in Bozoum. (L.M) (Agenzia Fides 09/08/2013)
- 2014-03-05 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Imam of Bangui: "If we want peace, we must be impartial and condemn all forms of violence"
- 2014-02-26 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC – Work goes on at Bangui university despite chaos
- 2014-02-24 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - “churches and mosques must be rid of armed infiltrators”: say the Catholic Archbishop and the Imam of Bangui
- 2014-02-18 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The Anti Balaka are doing more damage than Seleka", says a missionary
- 2014-02-14 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "God exists and God knows"
- 2014-02-10 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Religious leaders’ appeal: "Do not drag religion into political conflict"
- 2014-02-07 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Christians and Muslims: the same blood, the same language, the same Country"
- 2014-02-04 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The situation in Bouar is a bit calmer although there are reprisals against the Muslims"
- 2014-01-27 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Are the Anti Balaka really a "Christian militia"?
- 2014-01-23 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The State has collapsed, UN intervention is needed": appeal of the Archbishop of Bangui and the Imam