AMERICA/ECUADOR - International Day of Indigenous Peoples: the demands of the indigenous of Ecuador
Quito (Agenzia Fides) - In preparation of the International Day of Indigenous Peoples (which is celebrated today, August 9), the Confederation of Indigenous Nationalities of Ecuador (CONAIE), convened an enlarged Council to all the authorities of the indigenous peoples and nationalities of the country.
In the meeting, which took place on August 2, draft laws that affect indigenous nationalities, including the law on water, lands and territories, the management of indigenous justice, the criminalization of protests and policies concerning mining and oil; the conditions for a possible dialogue with President Rafael Correa were analyzed.
The note sent to Fides, reported that at the end of the Council, the organization's leaders reiterated to continue the struggle for the possession of their lands and the preservation of their traditions, and laid down the conditions for dialogue with the government and drew up the program for new demonstrations in September.
In the final document of the enlarged Council it is finally stated that a process of consultation of the communities will be launched to build the program of the main points of conflict between the government and the organizations that propose the formation of a Plurinational State. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 09/08/2013)
- 2014-10-21 - Indigenous people continue to be discriminated against, undernourished and not protected
- 2014-10-01 - Family Week in Guayaquil, wealth and renewal of society
- 2014-08-11 - 46,000 Ecuadoreans will benefit from a mega construction water
- 2014-06-10 - Projects in favor of Children: day care, healthy eating, education
- 2014-05-07 - New assignments in the Episcopal Conference, always striving for the weakest
- 2014-03-14 - "Laity and religious freedom": the voice of the Church
- 2013-12-12 - "Adopt a project": people can redeem thanks to education
- 2013-11-15 - National Congress: Religious freedom and the public dimension of faith for the closing of the Year of Faith
- 2013-10-30 - Resignation of the Apostolic Vicar of Galapagos and appointment of successor
- 2013-10-14 - AMERICA/ECUADOR – Legalization of abortion, the President threatens to resign: the Church praises him