AMERICA/ECUADOR - International Day of Indigenous Peoples: the demands of the indigenous of Ecuador
Quito (Agenzia Fides) - In preparation of the International Day of Indigenous Peoples (which is celebrated today, August 9), the Confederation of Indigenous Nationalities of Ecuador (CONAIE), convened an enlarged Council to all the authorities of the indigenous peoples and nationalities of the country.
In the meeting, which took place on August 2, draft laws that affect indigenous nationalities, including the law on water, lands and territories, the management of indigenous justice, the criminalization of protests and policies concerning mining and oil; the conditions for a possible dialogue with President Rafael Correa were analyzed.
The note sent to Fides, reported that at the end of the Council, the organization's leaders reiterated to continue the struggle for the possession of their lands and the preservation of their traditions, and laid down the conditions for dialogue with the government and drew up the program for new demonstrations in September.
In the final document of the enlarged Council it is finally stated that a process of consultation of the communities will be launched to build the program of the main points of conflict between the government and the organizations that propose the formation of a Plurinational State. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 09/08/2013)
- 2015-10-27 - Bishops’ Assembly: commitments following visit of Pope Francis and preparation for the Holy Year of Mercy
- 2015-10-15 - Spanish missionary in Ecuador turns 100 on World Mission Day
- 2015-10-05 - Improving access to education for children
- 2015-09-29 - "Supportive and welcoming border": Ecuador and Peru against trafficking and exploitation
- 2015-08-01 - Papal altar to serve as parish church
- 2015-07-08 - "We also want to be missionaries" says the indigenous representative to the Pope
- 2015-07-07 - The Pope's visit "will mark a before and after with regards to the situation in the country"
- 2015-07-06 - 10 000 from Santo Domingo to Quito for the Pope's Mass
- 2015-06-26 - Still demonstrations against President Correa
- 2015-06-17 - Bishops: dialogue is the only path to find solutions, violence is always destructive