AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Legislative elections: "Orient oneself according to the candidates' coherence" say the bishops
Buenos Aires (Agenzia Fides) - The President of the Episcopal Conference of Argentina, Mgr. José María Arancedo, Archbishop of Santa Fe de la Vera Cruz, commented to the press, a few days before the first round of the legislative elections, that "diversity is not opposed to unity". According to a note sent to Fides, Mgr. Arancedo noted that the elections held on August 11 must be taken seriously, "as a question that demands an answer". For this reason, he stressed that the elections require a "clear-headed participation by all".
The Archbishop invited the faithful to orient themselves according to the candidates' coherence and to take vision of the electoral programs. He also mentioned that civic engagement does not end with the vote. "The vote expresses a way of thinking with the values and ideas that define them. It is a service that enriches the lives of the community as there is the contribution of all citizens".
Mgr. Arancedo finally invited to exercise the right to vote in a responsible manner, remembering that "one cannot give up the Christian vision of the world" at the time of the vote and explained that one has to live that commitment as "an act of love and service to his country". "Faith commits me with the life and human dignity in the reality of society, especially with the poorest and most vulnerable", he concluded. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 08/08/2013)
- 2014-07-08 - After 38 years the killers of the Bishop who fought for hope and dignity have been condemned
- 2014-06-27 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Social Week begins, to promote "the culture of meeting"
- 2014-06-26 - A city in march against consumption and illicit drug trafficking
- 2014-06-25 - Bishops concerned about the national economic situation
- 2014-06-18 - A video against drugs: the Church launches a campaign on social networking sites
- 2014-05-28 - Church and civil authorities together for the safety of citizens
- 2014-05-26 - After 10 years, President Kirchner takes part in the Te Deum for the national holiday
- 2014-05-14 - "The country is sick of violence": proposal of Bishops to respond to this reality
- 2014-05-05 - Episcopal Assembly begins: "It is impossible to get used to drugs and violence"
- 2014-04-10 - For the Bishop of Posadas: "Lynchings, a serious social problem to be solved together"