AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Legislative elections: "Orient oneself according to the candidates' coherence" say the bishops
Buenos Aires (Agenzia Fides) - The President of the Episcopal Conference of Argentina, Mgr. José María Arancedo, Archbishop of Santa Fe de la Vera Cruz, commented to the press, a few days before the first round of the legislative elections, that "diversity is not opposed to unity". According to a note sent to Fides, Mgr. Arancedo noted that the elections held on August 11 must be taken seriously, "as a question that demands an answer". For this reason, he stressed that the elections require a "clear-headed participation by all".
The Archbishop invited the faithful to orient themselves according to the candidates' coherence and to take vision of the electoral programs. He also mentioned that civic engagement does not end with the vote. "The vote expresses a way of thinking with the values and ideas that define them. It is a service that enriches the lives of the community as there is the contribution of all citizens".
Mgr. Arancedo finally invited to exercise the right to vote in a responsible manner, remembering that "one cannot give up the Christian vision of the world" at the time of the vote and explained that one has to live that commitment as "an act of love and service to his country". "Faith commits me with the life and human dignity in the reality of society, especially with the poorest and most vulnerable", he concluded. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 08/08/2013)
- 2015-08-18 - “They steal not only the people’s money but also their hope” Bishop Lozano denounces
- 2015-08-05 - Argentina recalls the murder of Mgr. Angelelli who opposed to dictatorship
- 2015-07-22 - "Bring Christ to families": hundreds of young people on a mission to Goya
- 2015-07-21 - "Mission, a way of life": towards the fourth National Meeting of Missionary Groups
- 2015-07-15 - Nearly 30 percent of Argentines live in a situation of poverty
- 2015-07-10 - The Archbishop of Tucuman denounces: laws that violate the rights and freedom of conscience, attacks against the Church, a climate of fear
- 2015-06-24 - Bishop of Jujuy: "We need the State’s strong support against drugs"
- 2015-06-18 - The first Congress on intercultural and interreligious dialogue
- 2015-06-12 - "We are concerned about the new poor", said Mgr. Ojea, head of Caritas
- 2015-06-11 - "In this America's Cup, and always, say no to trafficking": campaign against human trafficking