AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Legislative elections: "Orient oneself according to the candidates' coherence" say the bishops
Buenos Aires (Agenzia Fides) - The President of the Episcopal Conference of Argentina, Mgr. José María Arancedo, Archbishop of Santa Fe de la Vera Cruz, commented to the press, a few days before the first round of the legislative elections, that "diversity is not opposed to unity". According to a note sent to Fides, Mgr. Arancedo noted that the elections held on August 11 must be taken seriously, "as a question that demands an answer". For this reason, he stressed that the elections require a "clear-headed participation by all".
The Archbishop invited the faithful to orient themselves according to the candidates' coherence and to take vision of the electoral programs. He also mentioned that civic engagement does not end with the vote. "The vote expresses a way of thinking with the values and ideas that define them. It is a service that enriches the lives of the community as there is the contribution of all citizens".
Mgr. Arancedo finally invited to exercise the right to vote in a responsible manner, remembering that "one cannot give up the Christian vision of the world" at the time of the vote and explained that one has to live that commitment as "an act of love and service to his country". "Faith commits me with the life and human dignity in the reality of society, especially with the poorest and most vulnerable", he concluded. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 08/08/2013)
- 2014-09-06 - The life of every migrant demands we build a new world; migrants’ pilgrimage to Luján
- 2014-09-04 - Announcing Christ on the streets: “committed to mission” for the archdiocese of Salta
- 2014-09-03 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – The Month of the Bible, ideal context for giving new impulse to the evangelising mission of the Church
- 2014-08-21 - The Church launches an alarm regarding the increase of suicides among teenagers
- 2014-08-06 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Pope Francis welcomes the opening of a reception center for victims of sexual exploitation
- 2014-07-08 - After 38 years the killers of the Bishop who fought for hope and dignity have been condemned
- 2014-06-27 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Social Week begins, to promote "the culture of meeting"
- 2014-06-26 - A city in march against consumption and illicit drug trafficking
- 2014-06-25 - Bishops concerned about the national economic situation
- 2014-06-18 - A video against drugs: the Church launches a campaign on social networking sites