AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Legislative elections: "Orient oneself according to the candidates' coherence" say the bishops
Buenos Aires (Agenzia Fides) - The President of the Episcopal Conference of Argentina, Mgr. José María Arancedo, Archbishop of Santa Fe de la Vera Cruz, commented to the press, a few days before the first round of the legislative elections, that "diversity is not opposed to unity". According to a note sent to Fides, Mgr. Arancedo noted that the elections held on August 11 must be taken seriously, "as a question that demands an answer". For this reason, he stressed that the elections require a "clear-headed participation by all".
The Archbishop invited the faithful to orient themselves according to the candidates' coherence and to take vision of the electoral programs. He also mentioned that civic engagement does not end with the vote. "The vote expresses a way of thinking with the values and ideas that define them. It is a service that enriches the lives of the community as there is the contribution of all citizens".
Mgr. Arancedo finally invited to exercise the right to vote in a responsible manner, remembering that "one cannot give up the Christian vision of the world" at the time of the vote and explained that one has to live that commitment as "an act of love and service to his country". "Faith commits me with the life and human dignity in the reality of society, especially with the poorest and most vulnerable", he concluded. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 08/08/2013)
- 2013-12-05 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Violence and looting in Cordoba: for the Church these are criminal acts, not due to poverty
- 2013-12-04 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Bishop of Oberá calls for a referendum on the construction of two hydroelectric dams
- 2013-11-04 AMERICA/ARGENTINA – The young, family pastoral, missionary commitment and social needs of the country: the plenary assembly of bishops
- 2013-09-18 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Cases of child workers and indigenous people exploited in inhumane conditions have been denounced
- 2013-09-17 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - The Church inherits the grand Luna Park theater, National Monument of Buenos Aires
- 2013-09-16 AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Argentinian priest beatified "who smelt of his sheep, a poor person among the poor"
- 2013-08-21 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Dengue and poverty affect the indigenous of the north of the Country
- 2013-08-19 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - "May the Holy Spirit give you strength and make you courageous" said the Pope to the 4th National Missionary Congress
- 2013-08-08 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Legislative elections: "Orient oneself according to the candidates' coherence" say the bishops
- 2013-07-30 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - First anniversary for "El hogar Emaus" that welcomes the homeless