AMERICA/GUATEMALA - 4 villages of ethnic Q'eqchi are isolated due to severe floods, the Church intervenes
San Pedro Carchá (Agenzia Fides) - The torrential rains that hit the town of Santa Catalina La Tinta, which is part of the Department of Alta Verapaz, have caused serious damage to the population of the mountainous areas of the parish "La Tinta". Rescue operations to the affected families, who have lost almost everything, immediately began with the involvement of the Salesian Mission situated in Altaverapaz, by a parish of ethnic Q'eqchi of 250 thousand inhabitants.
The bishop of the Diocese of Verapaz Coban, Msgr. Rodolfo Valenzuela, called on the whole diocese to intervene and help the 4 affected villages that have remained isolated. The path to reach them was hard, because the route which is usually used was destroyed by landslides, is what is read in a statement by ANS. Rescuers in the villages of Kaqiha 'and Samiha arrived after 4 hours by car and 3 hours on foot. The Salesians working with the indigenous Q'eqchi regularly face situations of need and social problems in relief activities to the population. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 08/08/2013)
- 2013-10-23 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - " They only leave crumbs, generate social conflicts and destroy the environment": Mgr. Ramazzini on foreign mining companies
- 2013-10-02 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Over two thousand children are HIV-positive
- 2013-08-29 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Ensuring food and health care to mothers in the early months of pregnancy to prevent born babies to die of hunger
- 2013-08-08 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - 4 villages of ethnic Q'eqchi are isolated due to severe floods, the Church intervenes
- 2013-07-31 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Epidemic dengue due to the contagion of 3,700 people and the death of 2 children
- 2013-07-05 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - 6,707 children under five years of age suffer from acute malnutrition and risk death
- 2013-05-06 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Clashes on mining. "One must avoid violence and protect the rights of communities," says a Bishop
- 2013-04-29 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Indifference of the government before violence, the bishops raise their voices recalling the open wounds
- 2013-02-26 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Year of Faith: a pastoral Letter denouncing violence
- 2013-01-28 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - For the Bishops "the food crisis that affects thousands of Guatemalans is more serious than the financial crisis"