AFRICA/EGYPT - Even the name of Patriarch Tawadros II in a list of people to kill
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - There is also the name of the Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros II at the top of a list of the dozens of people to be eliminated, found in an unonymous envelope in a mosque in Cairo. The list includes the names of President Adly Mansour and General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, the current strong man of the army. Prosecutors are investigating the level of credibility due to the threatening letter. Meanwhile, incidents of intimidation against the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate continue to mark the difficult season experienced by Egypt, on the brink of a civil war. Warning writings were drawn on the walls of the cathedral of San Marco in Abassyia yesterday, to remind everyone that "Egypt will remain Islamic". Last week, the Patriarchate had to refute the allegations circulating on the network regarding the alleged death of the Patriarch, who since the beginning of July, for security reasons, has suspended all public catechesis he held weekly in the cathedral.
Meanwhile, Patriarch Tawadros has sent a message of congratulations to the Egyptian Muslims and around the world on the occasion of the feast of Eid al-Fitr which ends the fasting month of Ramadan, wishing for all "goodness, joy and peace". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 07/08/2013).
- 2014-11-12 - The government expels Islamist militants from educational institutions
- 2014-11-10 - The Patriarch of the Coptic Orthodox: may the Churches unify the dates for the Easter celebration
- 2014-11-05 - For the Coptic Orthodox Patriarch extremist groups are a product of the West
- 2014-10-28 - St. Catherine's Monastery denies the news of an Islamist attack
- 2014-10-27 - Churches send the government their draft of a bill on the construction of places of worship
- 2014-10-21 - Pilgrimages in the footsteps of the Holy Family
- 2014-10-17 - Egyptian Family House grows, liaison body between Muslims and Christians
- 2014-10-09 - The children of a school take position against separated classes, based on religion
- 2014-10-03 - Intimidation against Copts who do not pay their "taxes" to a Muslim clan
- 2014-09-29 - The Coptic woman who had disappeared returns home: she did not convert but had been kidnapped