AFRICA/EGYPT - Even the name of Patriarch Tawadros II in a list of people to kill
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - There is also the name of the Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros II at the top of a list of the dozens of people to be eliminated, found in an unonymous envelope in a mosque in Cairo. The list includes the names of President Adly Mansour and General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, the current strong man of the army. Prosecutors are investigating the level of credibility due to the threatening letter. Meanwhile, incidents of intimidation against the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate continue to mark the difficult season experienced by Egypt, on the brink of a civil war. Warning writings were drawn on the walls of the cathedral of San Marco in Abassyia yesterday, to remind everyone that "Egypt will remain Islamic". Last week, the Patriarchate had to refute the allegations circulating on the network regarding the alleged death of the Patriarch, who since the beginning of July, for security reasons, has suspended all public catechesis he held weekly in the cathedral.
Meanwhile, Patriarch Tawadros has sent a message of congratulations to the Egyptian Muslims and around the world on the occasion of the feast of Eid al-Fitr which ends the fasting month of Ramadan, wishing for all "goodness, joy and peace". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 07/08/2013).
- 2015-02-25 - Christian archaeological area risks demolition, Coptic monks lie down in front of bulldozers
- 2015-02-23 - Copt Church forms committee to evacuate Egyptians from Libya
- 2015-02-17 - Bishop Antonios Aziz Mina: Libya’s martyrs died with the name of Christ on their lips
- 2015-02-16 - 21 Copts kidnapped and murdered by jihadists in Libya are “martyrs for the faith” says Patriarch Ibrahim Isaac
- 2015-02-14 - The government: the fate of the Copts kidnapped in Libya remains unclear
- 2015-02-13 - Magazine of the Islamic State announces the execution of the Copts kidnapped in Libya
- 2015-01-31 - AFRICA/EGYPT – Christians in the Islamist electoral list. The spokesman of the Salafi: we are obliged by law
- 2015-01-28 - The Egyptian government allocates land for the construction of new churches in the capital
- 2015-01-27 - The Coptic Catholic Diocese in Minya promotes religious reconciliation in the village of Delga with concrete projects
- 2015-01-26 - Copts killed and churches attacked in the riots on January 25