AFRICA/EGYPT - Even the name of Patriarch Tawadros II in a list of people to kill
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - There is also the name of the Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros II at the top of a list of the dozens of people to be eliminated, found in an unonymous envelope in a mosque in Cairo. The list includes the names of President Adly Mansour and General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, the current strong man of the army. Prosecutors are investigating the level of credibility due to the threatening letter. Meanwhile, incidents of intimidation against the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate continue to mark the difficult season experienced by Egypt, on the brink of a civil war. Warning writings were drawn on the walls of the cathedral of San Marco in Abassyia yesterday, to remind everyone that "Egypt will remain Islamic". Last week, the Patriarchate had to refute the allegations circulating on the network regarding the alleged death of the Patriarch, who since the beginning of July, for security reasons, has suspended all public catechesis he held weekly in the cathedral.
Meanwhile, Patriarch Tawadros has sent a message of congratulations to the Egyptian Muslims and around the world on the occasion of the feast of Eid al-Fitr which ends the fasting month of Ramadan, wishing for all "goodness, joy and peace". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 07/08/2013).
- 2015-03-28 - The Coptic Church supports the government in the fight against illiteracy
- 2015-03-26 - The Coptic Orthodox Church reaffirms ban on pilgrimages to Jerusalem
- 2015-03-25 - President Sisi endorses the new regulation for the election of the Coptic Pope
- 2015-03-23 - The conviction for the Salafist leader who tore up a copy of the Bible confirmed
- 2015-03-20 - Hospitals in Al Azhar open their doors to Christian doctors
- 2015-03-17 - The Egyptian government reviews Islamic religious education programs to combat extremism
- 2015-03-09 - AFRICA/EGYPT – Armed assault against the Franciscan church of Kafr el Dawar
- 2015-03-03 - Patriarch Tawadros meets the families of 21 martyrs; another Copt beheaded in Libya
- 2015-02-25 - Christian archaeological area risks demolition, Coptic monks lie down in front of bulldozers
- 2015-02-23 - Copt Church forms committee to evacuate Egyptians from Libya