AFRICA/CONGO DR - North Kivu: "the Church replaces the State in failure", says the President of Secours Catholique
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - A million refugees distributed in thirty tents are welcomed in Goma, the capital of North Kivu (eastern Democratic Republic of Congo), where fighting between the Congolese army and various rebel groups (including the M23) have disrupted the lives of the people of the area.
In an interview, François Soulage, President of Secours Catholique (Caritas France) reports the situation after a recent visit to Goma. The refugees welcomed in tents "are forced to cut down trees to get wood to keep them warm. They do not have any resources and depend on the World Food Programme (WFP), with which Caritas Goma collaborates to distribute food".
North Kivu is nevertheless a region rich in agricultural resources, which could easily feed its population, but because of the depredations committed by the rebels, the farmers do not have the necessary means to farm while cattle have been stolen or destroyed.
The countrysides are depopulated and towns and villages are crowded and the rural communities on the run.
To cope with this situation Caritas Goma in collaboration with Secours Catholique has created small local aqueducts, but has especially constituted "living ecclesial communities". We are talking about thirty families with a responsible Caritas that collects a part of the collections to support the needy in the community.
"It is certain that at present, the Church replaces a State in failure", said the President of Secours Catholique. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 06/08/2013)
- 2013-11-22 AFRICA/CONGO DR - "President, reinforce the presence of the State" is what civil society in North Kivu asks Kabila
- 2013-11-15 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Still instability in North Kivu: new attacks against civilians
- 2013-11-14 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The social market economy at the service of the individual and the community
- 2013-11-13 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Rwandan military deployed 3 km from Goma, civil society denounces
- 2013-11-12 AFRICA/DR CONGO - Catholics and Anglicans together for peace in the Great Lakes
- 2013-11-06 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The defeat of the M23: a historic victory for the Congolese army
- 2013-11-05 AFRICA/DR CONGO - The M23 surrenders but first bombards civilians, accuse local sources
- 2013-11-04 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The defeat of the M23 seems likely but there are 40 other armed groups in North Kivu
- 2013-10-28 AFRICA/CONGO DR - M23 : "There are several mass graves in addition to those already found" denounces civil society
- 2013-10-25 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Fighting between the army and M23 have resumed