AFRICA/MALI - In view of the run-off Caritas Mali proposes some measures to improve the electoral process
Bamako (Agenzia Fides) - The second round of presidential elections in Mali will be held on August 11. None of the candidates of the first round on July 28 obtained an absolute majority (50% plus one) of votes to be elected without going to the second ballot.
The two candidates are Ibrahim Boubacar Keïta (called IBK), who came first in the first round with 39.2% of the votes cast, and Soumaila Cissé, who obtained 19.4%.
Meanwhile, Caritas Mali along with Catholic Relief Services (CRS), Secours Catholique-Caritas France and Caritas au Sahel, deployed 153 election observers to monitor the vote of the first round, and has put forward various suggestions to improve the electoral process. In particular, the Directorate General of Elections (DGE) should create a system of permanent assistance to citizens to help them regulate their electoral list registration and to ensure that they can easily find a seat in which to vote. In fact, in the first round, notes Caritas, several voters had difficulty finding their seat in the absence of clear indications.
Caritas Mali also proposes the Independent Electoral Commission (INEC) to strengthen collaboration with the organizations responsible for ensuring the correctness of the vote.
The Catholic organization finally appeals to the population and to the candidates to continue to operate in a peaceful environment to lead the Country out of the serious crisis following the rebel offensive in the north of the Country, in January 2012, and the subsequent military coup in March of the same year. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 05/08/2013)
- 2014-02-26 AFRICA/MALI – More than 3 million suffer food shortage, some 50,000 could starve to death before the end of 2014
- 2013-09-06 AFRICA/MALI - The challenges of the new leadership: National reconciliation, fight against corruption, the re-launch of economy
- 2013-08-05 AFRICA/MALI - In view of the run-off Caritas Mali proposes some measures to improve the electoral process
- 2013-08-01 AFRICA/MALI - Caritas: "The population of Mali has demonstrated with the vote its attachment to the institutions"
- 2013-07-31 AFRICA/MALI - Caritas Mali: "Elections substantially correct"
- 2013-07-27 AFRICA/MALI - Presidential elections, Caritas urges to solve the humanitarian crisis
- 2013-06-24 AFRICA/MALI - Meeting of Caritas on the humanitarian crisis in Mali
- 2013-06-19 AFRICA/MALI - Mixed reactions to the peace agreement for Kidal
- 2013-04-29 AFRICA/MALI – The situation improves but the plight of displaced persons and refugees is not forgotten
- 2013-04-10 AFRICA/MALI - Refugees, food shortages and mine clearance: new emergencies in the Country