AMERICA/HAITI - First stone of the parish of the Sacred Heart, supported by North American Catholics
Port au Prince (Agenzia Fides) - The North American Archbishop of Miami, His Exc. Mgr. Thomas Wenski, delegate of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops and Archbishop of Port-au-Prince His Exc. Mgr. Guire Poulard, presided together the ceremony for the laying of the foundation stone of the parish of the Sacred Heart, in the Haitian capital. The act, which took place on August 2, was followed by a Mass celebrated by Mgr. Wenski, during which the Archbishop announced that the temple will be built with the funding of approximately $ 2.3 million, as a gesture of solidarity to help the reconstruction of several Catholic buildings in Haiti affected by the earthquake of 2010. The note sent to Fides Agency informs that Haitian Archbishop Poulard has invited all Catholics, doctors, journalists, lawyers and all those who exercise any profession or trade, to commit themselves in the community, as God taught us.
The construction of the Sacred Heart parish will serve as a model for other buildings of this kind on the island, which will be built with seismic criteria. The initiative is part of a support program sponsored by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops and approved by the Finance Committee for aid to Latin America in the 2012 session. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 05/08/2013)
- 2015-01-19 - New cabinet of Haiti to be sworn in today
- 2015-01-14 - AMERICA/HAITI – Parliament dissolved, demonstrations against President increase
- 2015-01-12 - Agreement between the President and opposition: elections in 2015
- 2015-01-08 - AMERICA/HAITI – 5 years after the earthquake the Catholic Church is helping Haiti to recover
- 2014-12-09 - Foyer Bethlehem: “giving persons with disabilities what nature and human indifference have denied them”
- 2014-12-01 - A Commission to save the country from the crisis
- 2014-11-27 - The Church ready to intervene to ensure the country's political future
- 2014-10-16 - Haiti will ask for an extension to the Dominican Republic to regulate the "sans papiers"
- 2014-09-23 - Social movements denounce the failure of the UN Mission, protests in the streets
- 2014-08-21 - Elections postponed and there is growing uncertainty about the future of the Country