AMERICA/PARAGUAY - Land to farmers to restore their hope and fight poverty
Misiones (Agenzia Fides) - "The lack of an agrarian reform is a failure of all governments, from the time of the dictatorship of Alfredo Stroessner until the democratic transition", said His Exc. Mgr. Mario Melanio Medina Salinas, Bishop of San Juan Bautista de las Misiones, during the ceremony for the delivery of the title deeds of the land to the farmers of the area of Misiones and Ñeembucú. According to the note sent to Fides Agency, the ceremony held yesterday, August 1, in addition to the Bishop was also attended by the Director of the National Institute for Rural Development and Land (Indert), Juan Carlos Ramirez Montalbetti. Everything took place at the Catholic University Nostra Signora dell'Assunta, in Misiones.
In his speech, Mgr. Medina congratulated the current administration of Indert, "because it is important to give security to families". He also stressed that the country has much public land which, however, is not given to those who need it. After highlighting the importance of formation in agroecology, asking to support the agricultural schools in order not to close them, the Bishop finally launched an appeal to fight poverty, so that farmers can find hope, "farmers must recover, as well as citizens and the country". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 02/08/2013)
- 2015-05-15 - Archbishop Valenzuela Mellid: "We all have to be responsible in carrying out our duties"
- 2015-05-07 - The Church condemns the criminal violence that killed three people and a politician
- 2015-04-27 - Indigenous people live in poverty but maintain their traditions
- 2015-03-04 - The appeal of 450 thousand working children: "We do not want to be exploited"
- 2014-12-09 - On the feast day of Our Lady of Caacupé bishop denounces corruption and drug trafficking
- 2014-12-04 - Paraguayan Missionaries join fellow Paraguayans in Argentina to celebrate Our Lady of Caacupé
- 2014-12-01 - Novena to Our Lady of Caacupé, opportunity to reflect on the rights of the defenseless and the responsibilities of politicians
- 2014-11-25 - The Church is not discouraged because of the drug trade, it will continue to fight for justice and peace
- 2014-11-14 - In defense of family rights: draft law rejected
- 2014-11-10 - The Bishops' Conference asks to "put a stop to corruption"