AMERICA/PARAGUAY - Land to farmers to restore their hope and fight poverty
Misiones (Agenzia Fides) - "The lack of an agrarian reform is a failure of all governments, from the time of the dictatorship of Alfredo Stroessner until the democratic transition", said His Exc. Mgr. Mario Melanio Medina Salinas, Bishop of San Juan Bautista de las Misiones, during the ceremony for the delivery of the title deeds of the land to the farmers of the area of Misiones and Ñeembucú. According to the note sent to Fides Agency, the ceremony held yesterday, August 1, in addition to the Bishop was also attended by the Director of the National Institute for Rural Development and Land (Indert), Juan Carlos Ramirez Montalbetti. Everything took place at the Catholic University Nostra Signora dell'Assunta, in Misiones.
In his speech, Mgr. Medina congratulated the current administration of Indert, "because it is important to give security to families". He also stressed that the country has much public land which, however, is not given to those who need it. After highlighting the importance of formation in agroecology, asking to support the agricultural schools in order not to close them, the Bishop finally launched an appeal to fight poverty, so that farmers can find hope, "farmers must recover, as well as citizens and the country". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 02/08/2013)
- 2014-04-10 - A march for the freedom of 5 peasants on hunger strike, accused of the Curuguaty massacre
- 2014-03-27 - General strike in the country; the Church supports those demanding justice and social solidarity
- 2014-03-07 - Dialogue between the Church and civil authorities on the problems regarding the population
- 2014-03-06 - The Church calls for "fair justice"
- 2014-02-24 - Campaign to vaccinate children against measles and rubella
- 2014-02-21 - Half a million child laborers, exploited in activities which are dangerous to health and safety
- 2014-01-08 - A group of religious women involved in the protection of young orphans
- 2013-12-10 - "The people demand justice": the cry which concludes the feast of Our Lady of Caacupé
- 2013-12-07 - Citizens outraged by politicians, the Bishops denounce corruption
- 2013-10-19 - Children, adolescents and mothers: main victims of dengue