AMERICA/ECUADOR - OCLACC Assembly: The Mission of communicators, promoting the spread of truth
Quito (Agenzia Fides) - The Assembly of the Continental Organizations of Latin American countries and the Caribbeans of Catholic Communication (OCLACC) is being held (from 1 to 3 August) at the “Nuestra Señora del Quinche” Spirituality Center in Quito. This is the first OCLACC/Signis Assembly, says a note sent to Fides Agency, and this meeting will aim to analyze the role of Signis (the World Catholic Association for Communication) in the communications of the Catholic communities of the continent.
"The media are an inescapable reality that causes major changes not only in terms of technology and culture, but also in the history of the Church", said His Exc. Mgr. Claudio Maria Celli, president of the Pontifical Council for Social Communications, in a video message of greetings to the participants in the meeting, which was proposed during the first session.
The President of the Pontifical Council for Social Communications pointed out that currently "in many geographical contexts, communication has to deal with great difficulties, especially where rules or laws are approved that threaten freedom of expression, of opinion and of the press". For this reason, Mgr. Celli reiterates that "the position of Christians will always be to search for all legitimate ways to denounce situations of injustice and promote the spread of truth", because "to tell the truth about man in the light of the Word of God is one of the missions of Catholic communicators in Latin America". The OCCLAC assembly is also planning the examination of the new directives 2013 to 2017. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 02/08/2013)
- 2015-07-08 - "We also want to be missionaries" says the indigenous representative to the Pope
- 2015-07-07 - The Pope's visit "will mark a before and after with regards to the situation in the country"
- 2015-07-06 - 10 000 from Santo Domingo to Quito for the Pope's Mass
- 2015-06-26 - Still demonstrations against President Correa
- 2015-06-17 - Bishops: dialogue is the only path to find solutions, violence is always destructive
- 2015-04-17 - Floods favor the spread of the chikungunya virus
- 2015-01-29 - The country remembers "the Bishop of the Indios"
- 2014-10-21 - Indigenous people continue to be discriminated against, undernourished and not protected
- 2014-10-01 - Family Week in Guayaquil, wealth and renewal of society
- 2014-08-11 - 46,000 Ecuadoreans will benefit from a mega construction water