AFRICA/EGYPT - The Bishop of Minya: with the lie of the "Coptic plot" Islamists will justify other terror against Christians
Minya (Agenzia Fides) - Western chanceries "have overestimated the real roots of political Islam in the Egyptian people" and now "remain floored and ambiguous before the scenarios opened by the revolution of 30 June", while the Islamists " emphasize the role of Christians in that uprising also to justify the terrorist attacks being prepared against them". This is what the Egyptian bishop Botros Fahim Awad Hanna reports to Fides Agency with regards to two dynamics he understood during the serious moment experienced by the North African country. In past days, blogs close to the Muslim Brotherhood have labeled the new structure found by the country after the overthrow of President Morsi as the "Military Republic of Tawadros", indicating Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros II and his Church as the true architects of the popular uprising which led to the end of the Islamist government. "It is obvious" Anba Botros explains to Fides "that the Muslim Brotherhood wants to explain their political failure by resorting to the theory of 'Christian conspiracy'.
To emphasize the role Christians had in the collapse of the Islamist regime will also serve to justify future terrorism against them.
There is a plan of other attacks against churches, priests and religious that might be carried out when public controls in squares and neighborhoods - stronghold of the Muslim Brotherhood finish". At the same time, even the Coptic Catholic Bishop confirms the wide participation of Christians in the anti-Morsi uprisings: "It is certainly out of place to speak of 'Christian revolution'. At least 30 million Egyptians took to the streets. But among the demonstrators there were always so many Christians. The so-called revolution of 30 June took place on Sunday.
In the West, however, the Egyptian facts have exposed the errors of analysis of North American and European diplomats: "The U.S. Ambassador" says to Fides Bishop Hanna "continued to send reports in which it repeated that in Egypt the only force supported by the people were the Muslim Brotherhood. They staked everything on political Islam, without seeing that the Islamists had won the election only because the people would not vote the leaders of the old regime. But they took us into a tunnel where everything was getting worse by the day. And at some point, the patience of the Egyptian people is over ". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 01/08/213).
- 2014-03-06 AFRICA/EGYPT – Coptic politician Shukrallah: what worries me is the possible return of the military to power
- 2014-03-01 AFRICA/EGYPT - 62nd Catholic Festival of Egyptian Cinema opening ceremony
- 2014-02-25 AFRICA/EGYPT – New rules for election of Orthodox Coptic Pope examined by civil authorities
- 2014-02-25 AFRICA/LYBIA - “These extremists are shedding innocent blood to get more visibility” says Archbishop Martinelli
- 2014-02-24 AFRICA/EGYPT - Coptic Orthodox Christian is the first woman elected to lead a political party in Egypt
- 2014-02-18 AFRICA/EGYPT - Bishop Kyrillos: positive analysis for the first year of the National Council of Churches
- 2014-02-17 AFRICA/EGYPT - Synod of the Coptic Orthodox Church on the rules for the election of the Patriarch
- 2014-02-12 AFRICA/EGYPT - Patriarch Tawadros to the European Union: help Egypt
- 2014-02-10 AFRICA/EGYPT - Bishop Zaki: Christian churches pray together for the future of the Country
- 2014-02-06 AFRICA/EGYPT - Al-Sisi to run for President. Bishop Fahim Hanna: he has the support of the people, but the Church does not take sides