AFRICA/EGYPT - The Bishop of Minya: with the lie of the "Coptic plot" Islamists will justify other terror against Christians
Minya (Agenzia Fides) - Western chanceries "have overestimated the real roots of political Islam in the Egyptian people" and now "remain floored and ambiguous before the scenarios opened by the revolution of 30 June", while the Islamists " emphasize the role of Christians in that uprising also to justify the terrorist attacks being prepared against them". This is what the Egyptian bishop Botros Fahim Awad Hanna reports to Fides Agency with regards to two dynamics he understood during the serious moment experienced by the North African country. In past days, blogs close to the Muslim Brotherhood have labeled the new structure found by the country after the overthrow of President Morsi as the "Military Republic of Tawadros", indicating Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros II and his Church as the true architects of the popular uprising which led to the end of the Islamist government. "It is obvious" Anba Botros explains to Fides "that the Muslim Brotherhood wants to explain their political failure by resorting to the theory of 'Christian conspiracy'.
To emphasize the role Christians had in the collapse of the Islamist regime will also serve to justify future terrorism against them.
There is a plan of other attacks against churches, priests and religious that might be carried out when public controls in squares and neighborhoods - stronghold of the Muslim Brotherhood finish". At the same time, even the Coptic Catholic Bishop confirms the wide participation of Christians in the anti-Morsi uprisings: "It is certainly out of place to speak of 'Christian revolution'. At least 30 million Egyptians took to the streets. But among the demonstrators there were always so many Christians. The so-called revolution of 30 June took place on Sunday.
In the West, however, the Egyptian facts have exposed the errors of analysis of North American and European diplomats: "The U.S. Ambassador" says to Fides Bishop Hanna "continued to send reports in which it repeated that in Egypt the only force supported by the people were the Muslim Brotherhood. They staked everything on political Islam, without seeing that the Islamists had won the election only because the people would not vote the leaders of the old regime. But they took us into a tunnel where everything was getting worse by the day. And at some point, the patience of the Egyptian people is over ". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 01/08/213).
- 2014-12-19 - Islamist threats against the Christmas celebration; Muslim leaders: we defend the churches together with Christians
- 2014-12-15 - Al Azhar: those who commit terrorist acts in the name of Islam cannot be labelled "infidel"
- 2014-12-13 - The Coptic Orthodox Church: "Employment Day" for young job seekers
- 2014-12-10 - The government is studying the draft electoral law, 24 seats reserved for Christians
- 2014-12-09 - AFRICA/EGYPT – In Minya Governatorate in 4 years some 120 million Egyptian pounds paid in ransom for kidnapped Christians
- 2014-12-04 - For Copt Catholic Bishop Antonios Mina the anti-Islamist terrorism Conference at al-Azhar was “epochal”
- 2014-12-03 - Conference on Islam and Terrorism at Al Azhar. Imam al- Tayyeb: “takfirist” extremism perverts the Islamic religion
- 2014-11-12 - The government expels Islamist militants from educational institutions
- 2014-11-10 - The Patriarch of the Coptic Orthodox: may the Churches unify the dates for the Easter celebration
- 2014-11-05 - For the Coptic Orthodox Patriarch extremist groups are a product of the West