AMERICA/MEXICO - Prison in Saltillo: Corruption and lack of water, the Bishop denounces
Saltillo (Agenzia Fides) – Mgr.Raul Vera Lopez, Bishop of Saltillo, condemned the situation in which prisoners in the detention center CERESO in Saltillo have to face, where there is no clean water, medicine, food, and the inmates are forced to endure the guards’ harassment.
According to a note sent to Fides, the Bishop also criticized the Commission for Human Rights of Coahuila who did not fulfill its duty to ensure the integrity of the detainees. Mgr. Lopez recalled the recent events of July 29, when in a fight between inmates and guards, the latter seriously injured an unknown number of prisoners.
Mgr. Vera Lopez, according to the note sent to Fides, knows the situation of the detention center very well, and has repeatedly publicly denounced the lack of water, insufficient and contaminated food due to insects, in addition to the racket carried out by the guards: the food brought by the detainees’ families are seized by the guards who then resell them to the prisoners themselves. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 01/08/2013)
- 2014-11-15 - A Comboni missionary found dead in a mass grave, among other bodies
- 2014-11-13 - Mexican Bishops: "We do not want more blood, people killed or who disappear ... Enough!"
- 2014-11-11 - Show all the corruption and lies of those who have turned away from God and from the truth
- 2014-11-10 - The Bishops' appeal: "No more corruption and violence! Thorough investigation is needed"
- 2014-11-10 - The poor and the marginalized become producers of their food
- 2014-11-06 - Ecumenical Initiative: 43 hours of fasting and prayer for the 43 students of Ayotzinapa
- 2014-11-03 - The Bishops to the families of the students missing: "Hope pushes to keep fighting"
- 2014-10-30 - The families of the students who disappeared will be received by the President, Pope Francis asks for prayers
- 2014-10-27 - Living Rosary: 30 thousand faithful pray for drug traffickers and organized crime
- 2014-10-24 - Appeal and prayers for the students kidnapped: "Let them come back alive"