AMERICA/MEXICO - Prison in Saltillo: Corruption and lack of water, the Bishop denounces
Saltillo (Agenzia Fides) – Mgr.Raul Vera Lopez, Bishop of Saltillo, condemned the situation in which prisoners in the detention center CERESO in Saltillo have to face, where there is no clean water, medicine, food, and the inmates are forced to endure the guards’ harassment.
According to a note sent to Fides, the Bishop also criticized the Commission for Human Rights of Coahuila who did not fulfill its duty to ensure the integrity of the detainees. Mgr. Lopez recalled the recent events of July 29, when in a fight between inmates and guards, the latter seriously injured an unknown number of prisoners.
Mgr. Vera Lopez, according to the note sent to Fides, knows the situation of the detention center very well, and has repeatedly publicly denounced the lack of water, insufficient and contaminated food due to insects, in addition to the racket carried out by the guards: the food brought by the detainees’ families are seized by the guards who then resell them to the prisoners themselves. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 01/08/2013)
- 2014-10-30 - The families of the students who disappeared will be received by the President, Pope Francis asks for prayers
- 2014-10-27 - Living Rosary: 30 thousand faithful pray for drug traffickers and organized crime
- 2014-10-24 - Appeal and prayers for the students kidnapped: "Let them come back alive"
- 2014-10-21 - When you do not respect the right of even one person, it jeopardizes the right of all
- 2014-10-21 - 2000 children have been killed or maimed between 2006 and 2014
- 2014-10-15 - "Never accept violence as a solution", warns Mgr. Lona Reyes who proposes a prayer campaign
- 2014-10-14 - Bishops on the Iguala case: "clarify what happened, the truth is the path to justice"
- 2014-10-10 - The tragedy of Iguala and its consequences: a letter from the Archbishop of Acapulco
- 2014-10-09 - Corrupt policemen and climate of mistrust, the Bishop of La Paz denounces the silence of the authorities
- 2014-09-29 - Prevention and relief centers: the Church committed against addiction