AMERICA/MEXICO - Prison in Saltillo: Corruption and lack of water, the Bishop denounces
Saltillo (Agenzia Fides) – Mgr.Raul Vera Lopez, Bishop of Saltillo, condemned the situation in which prisoners in the detention center CERESO in Saltillo have to face, where there is no clean water, medicine, food, and the inmates are forced to endure the guards’ harassment.
According to a note sent to Fides, the Bishop also criticized the Commission for Human Rights of Coahuila who did not fulfill its duty to ensure the integrity of the detainees. Mgr. Lopez recalled the recent events of July 29, when in a fight between inmates and guards, the latter seriously injured an unknown number of prisoners.
Mgr. Vera Lopez, according to the note sent to Fides, knows the situation of the detention center very well, and has repeatedly publicly denounced the lack of water, insufficient and contaminated food due to insects, in addition to the racket carried out by the guards: the food brought by the detainees’ families are seized by the guards who then resell them to the prisoners themselves. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 01/08/2013)
- 2015-07-02 - A recreational project for indigenous children of different ethnicities
- 2015-07-02 - Widespread violence does not spare even three elderly nuns
- 2015-06-25 - Periodic monitoring of the situation of migrants, joint efforts of government and Church
- 2015-06-15 - Bishop of Mazatlan’s appeal after the violence perpetrated during the weekend
- 2015-06-13 - A card to distinguish true priests from false priests
- 2015-06-11 - The Bishops invite the winners of the elections to fulfil the promises made
- 2015-05-28 - The churches of Piedras Negras become centers of aid to people affected by the tornado
- 2015-05-27 - Tornado among the strongest recorded in the country affects Ciudad Acuña: 14 deaths and massive damage
- 2015-05-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Mgr. Moreno Barron’s appeal: Go and vote, do not sell your vote
- 2015-05-19 - Six million Mexican children do not go to school because of discrimination