AMERICA/MEXICO - Prison in Saltillo: Corruption and lack of water, the Bishop denounces
Saltillo (Agenzia Fides) – Mgr.Raul Vera Lopez, Bishop of Saltillo, condemned the situation in which prisoners in the detention center CERESO in Saltillo have to face, where there is no clean water, medicine, food, and the inmates are forced to endure the guards’ harassment.
According to a note sent to Fides, the Bishop also criticized the Commission for Human Rights of Coahuila who did not fulfill its duty to ensure the integrity of the detainees. Mgr. Lopez recalled the recent events of July 29, when in a fight between inmates and guards, the latter seriously injured an unknown number of prisoners.
Mgr. Vera Lopez, according to the note sent to Fides, knows the situation of the detention center very well, and has repeatedly publicly denounced the lack of water, insufficient and contaminated food due to insects, in addition to the racket carried out by the guards: the food brought by the detainees’ families are seized by the guards who then resell them to the prisoners themselves. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 01/08/2013)
- 2014-07-31 - The Bishops: "Family Reunification for immigrant children"
- 2014-07-31 - Major epidemiological control towards the chikungunya virus
- 2014-07-30 - Prisons become "universities of crime": the Church insists on re-education
- 2014-07-28 - Over five thousand people march for peace and for life
- 2014-07-15 - The solution to the problem of emigration passes through cultural and social conversion
- 2014-07-15 - Bishop Aguilar’s appeal : "Migrant children are not intruders or invaders"
- 2014-07-14 - Cardinal Parolin, Vatican's Secretary of State, in Mexico for the emergency regarding emigration
- 2014-07-11 - The Central American Church's commitment to eradicate the causes of child emigration
- 2014-07-07 - More than 8 million indigenous women suffer physical and moral violence
- 2014-07-04 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Inauguration of a reception center, but the issue on migrants should be resolved at the root