AMERICA/MEXICO - Prison in Saltillo: Corruption and lack of water, the Bishop denounces
Saltillo (Agenzia Fides) – Mgr.Raul Vera Lopez, Bishop of Saltillo, condemned the situation in which prisoners in the detention center CERESO in Saltillo have to face, where there is no clean water, medicine, food, and the inmates are forced to endure the guards’ harassment.
According to a note sent to Fides, the Bishop also criticized the Commission for Human Rights of Coahuila who did not fulfill its duty to ensure the integrity of the detainees. Mgr. Lopez recalled the recent events of July 29, when in a fight between inmates and guards, the latter seriously injured an unknown number of prisoners.
Mgr. Vera Lopez, according to the note sent to Fides, knows the situation of the detention center very well, and has repeatedly publicly denounced the lack of water, insufficient and contaminated food due to insects, in addition to the racket carried out by the guards: the food brought by the detainees’ families are seized by the guards who then resell them to the prisoners themselves. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 01/08/2013)
- 2015-07-27 - Mariachi Zombie: amusing animated television series discredits bad zombie myth
- 2015-07-22 - Truth, justice, forgiveness and reconciliation: the pillars of peace promoted by the Church
- 2015-07-20 - Young Chiapas form an orchestra with pre-Hispanic instruments
- 2015-07-14 - Bishops on the escape of El Chapo, "we are not naive, we must eradicate corruption"
- 2015-07-13 - "Corruption spreads when transparency remains only good intentions": the Catholic voice before the scandals
- 2015-07-02 - A recreational project for indigenous children of different ethnicities
- 2015-07-02 - Widespread violence does not spare even three elderly nuns
- 2015-06-25 - Periodic monitoring of the situation of migrants, joint efforts of government and Church
- 2015-06-15 - Bishop of Mazatlan’s appeal after the violence perpetrated during the weekend
- 2015-06-13 - A card to distinguish true priests from false priests