AMERICA/MEXICO - Prison in Saltillo: Corruption and lack of water, the Bishop denounces
Saltillo (Agenzia Fides) – Mgr.Raul Vera Lopez, Bishop of Saltillo, condemned the situation in which prisoners in the detention center CERESO in Saltillo have to face, where there is no clean water, medicine, food, and the inmates are forced to endure the guards’ harassment.
According to a note sent to Fides, the Bishop also criticized the Commission for Human Rights of Coahuila who did not fulfill its duty to ensure the integrity of the detainees. Mgr. Lopez recalled the recent events of July 29, when in a fight between inmates and guards, the latter seriously injured an unknown number of prisoners.
Mgr. Vera Lopez, according to the note sent to Fides, knows the situation of the detention center very well, and has repeatedly publicly denounced the lack of water, insufficient and contaminated food due to insects, in addition to the racket carried out by the guards: the food brought by the detainees’ families are seized by the guards who then resell them to the prisoners themselves. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 01/08/2013)
- 2015-01-27 - Cardinal Rivera: "To change our society personal conversion is needed"
- 2015-01-27 - Child labor: 2 million and a half working children
- 2015-01-26 - AMERICA/MEXICO – The Bishops of Central America discuss the issue regarding assistance to migrants
- 2015-01-19 - Bishop of Zacatecas: The closure of mines is everyone’s problem
- 2015-01-17 - "We must stop violent groups", said Bishop Gallardo
- 2015-01-16 - AMERICA/MEXICO – The Bishops of Guerrero appreciate the good will of the army
- 2015-01-16 - The New Testament in Tsotsil language in the pipeline
- 2015-01-14 - Corruption: a serious disease that has infected all
- 2015-01-09 - The priests of Guerrero "continue to preach the Gospel as always" despite threats and blackmail,
- 2015-01-07 - "The jungle law" does not stop theft