AMERICA/MEXICO - Prison in Saltillo: Corruption and lack of water, the Bishop denounces
Saltillo (Agenzia Fides) – Mgr.Raul Vera Lopez, Bishop of Saltillo, condemned the situation in which prisoners in the detention center CERESO in Saltillo have to face, where there is no clean water, medicine, food, and the inmates are forced to endure the guards’ harassment.
According to a note sent to Fides, the Bishop also criticized the Commission for Human Rights of Coahuila who did not fulfill its duty to ensure the integrity of the detainees. Mgr. Lopez recalled the recent events of July 29, when in a fight between inmates and guards, the latter seriously injured an unknown number of prisoners.
Mgr. Vera Lopez, according to the note sent to Fides, knows the situation of the detention center very well, and has repeatedly publicly denounced the lack of water, insufficient and contaminated food due to insects, in addition to the racket carried out by the guards: the food brought by the detainees’ families are seized by the guards who then resell them to the prisoners themselves. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 01/08/2013)
- 2015-11-18 - AMERICA/MEXICO – The missing priest's body found, he had been set on fire
- 2015-11-17 - Parish priest in Cook has been missing for days
- 2015-11-16 - The child martyrs of Tlaxcala: martyrs of all Latin America
- 2015-11-12 - Minors not allowed to work in the sugarcane fields
- 2015-11-10 - A battlefield where migrants suffer, are attacked, die
- 2015-11-06 - Mgr. Arizmendi inaugurates a house of the migrant in Tuxtla Gutierrez
- 2015-11-05 - Bishops' appeal for peace: "Dialogue with everyone, even with organized crime"
- 2015-11-03 - For the first time in Mexican history a Pope's encyclical will be presented in the Senate
- 2015-10-27 - “Drugs are drugs even when sold as medicines”: the Catholic stance
- 2015-10-27 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Children in mining areas risk lead poisoning