AFRICA/NIGERIA – The Bishop of the city: the toll of the terrorist attacks in Kano remains uncertain
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - A series of attacks with explosives devastated Kano yesterday, 29 July, the main city in northern Nigeria. Fides Agency was able to briefly contact the Bishop of the city, His Exc. Mgr. John Namaza Niyiring who issued the following testimony: "Yesterday evening between 8 and 9 p.m., there were at least three explosions which caused several deaths and wounded, but we still do not know the exact number of victims". "The attacks occurred in Sabon Gari, which means the new town", said the Bishop. Mainly Nigerians from the south live in Sabon Gari, most of whom are Christians.
According to authorities, at least 12 people died as a result of the series of attacks attributed to Boko Haram, the Islamist sect that continues to strike despite the vast military operation launched by the government in Abuja in three States in northern Nigeria, where in May a state of emergency was imposed.
The Nigerian press reports that the army arrested forty suspected members of Boko Haram in some parts of the south-western part of Nigeria, where they had fled to escape the military operations in the north. The authorities are on alert for additional attacks to be carried out before the end of Ramadan. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 30/07/2013)
- 2014-07-17 - The President intends to ask a billion dollars to fight Boko Haram
- 2014-07-07 - More than two thousand women widowed largely by the Boko Haram insurgency assisted by the Diocese of Maiduguri
- 2014-06-30 - New attacks in the north: the Bishop of Maiduguri, "the human mind cannot understand what is going on"
- 2014-06-26 - "Let us seek the path of dialogue to end violence", says to Fides Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2014-06-11 - The Bishops: "necessary to ensure the rights of all religions throughout the Country"
- 2014-06-10 - "Yes to amnesty for Boko Haram, as long as there is sincere repentance and compensation for the victims" says Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2014-06-06 - The Bishops announce six months of prayer for peace in Nigeria
- 2014-06-06 - "Boko Haram threatens the unity of the army", says Cardinal Onaiyekan to Fides
- 2014-05-28 - Boko Haram: For Cardinal Onaiyekan "It is not enough to condemn violence alone, but it is also necessary to condemn intollerant positions"
- 2014-05-23 - "The kidnapping of the girls in Chibok has united the Country", said the Bishop of Sokoto