AFRICA/NIGERIA – The Bishop of the city: the toll of the terrorist attacks in Kano remains uncertain
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - A series of attacks with explosives devastated Kano yesterday, 29 July, the main city in northern Nigeria. Fides Agency was able to briefly contact the Bishop of the city, His Exc. Mgr. John Namaza Niyiring who issued the following testimony: "Yesterday evening between 8 and 9 p.m., there were at least three explosions which caused several deaths and wounded, but we still do not know the exact number of victims". "The attacks occurred in Sabon Gari, which means the new town", said the Bishop. Mainly Nigerians from the south live in Sabon Gari, most of whom are Christians.
According to authorities, at least 12 people died as a result of the series of attacks attributed to Boko Haram, the Islamist sect that continues to strike despite the vast military operation launched by the government in Abuja in three States in northern Nigeria, where in May a state of emergency was imposed.
The Nigerian press reports that the army arrested forty suspected members of Boko Haram in some parts of the south-western part of Nigeria, where they had fled to escape the military operations in the north. The authorities are on alert for additional attacks to be carried out before the end of Ramadan. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 30/07/2013)
- 2013-11-25 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Cardinal Onaiyekan’s prudence on the news of Christian women abducted by Boko Haram and forcibly converted to Islam
- 2013-11-22 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The existence of many Pentecostal churches is no impediment to the evangelization mission of the Catholic Church", said Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2013-11-14 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Good knowledge of other religions at the basis for dialogue between Christians and Muslims"
- 2013-11-13 AFRICA/NIGERIA - The Nigerian deputies open an investigation into the management of oil
- 2013-11-07 AFRICA/NIGERIA - A stampede left at least 28 people dead during a prayer vigil
- 2013-10-16 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The Church urged to reduce poverty", says the Director of Caritas
- 2013-09-30 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Boko Haram is now composed of fanatics that affect Christians and Muslims," said Bishop Kaigama
- 2013-09-20 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "I am happy to be a Catholic" Holy Childhood celebrates the Year of Faith
- 2013-09-20 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Boko Haram has no qualms in killing innocent people", said Mgr. Kaigama
- 2013-09-16 AFRICA/NIGERIA - The Bishops denounce "the attempts of foreign agencies to introduce unhealthy values in society"