AFRICA/NIGERIA – The Bishop of the city: the toll of the terrorist attacks in Kano remains uncertain
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - A series of attacks with explosives devastated Kano yesterday, 29 July, the main city in northern Nigeria. Fides Agency was able to briefly contact the Bishop of the city, His Exc. Mgr. John Namaza Niyiring who issued the following testimony: "Yesterday evening between 8 and 9 p.m., there were at least three explosions which caused several deaths and wounded, but we still do not know the exact number of victims". "The attacks occurred in Sabon Gari, which means the new town", said the Bishop. Mainly Nigerians from the south live in Sabon Gari, most of whom are Christians.
According to authorities, at least 12 people died as a result of the series of attacks attributed to Boko Haram, the Islamist sect that continues to strike despite the vast military operation launched by the government in Abuja in three States in northern Nigeria, where in May a state of emergency was imposed.
The Nigerian press reports that the army arrested forty suspected members of Boko Haram in some parts of the south-western part of Nigeria, where they had fled to escape the military operations in the north. The authorities are on alert for additional attacks to be carried out before the end of Ramadan. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 30/07/2013)
- 2014-03-11 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram: over 500 Catholics killed and 20 churches and priests houses destroyed since 2009
- 2014-02-27 AFRICA/NIGERIA - “Move army command to epicentre of Boko Haram violence” Nigerian Senate orders
- 2014-02-20 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram: "we will hit the Nigeria oil region"
- 2014-02-17 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The latest massacre of civilians unfortunately does not surprise me" says the Archbishop of Jos to Fides
- 2014-02-12 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "No imposition of secular values in Africa," said the Archbishop of Jos
- 2014-02-05 AFRICA/NIGERIA – 80 people killed in the last 24 hours due to violence in four Nigerian states
- 2014-01-29 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram: "military response alone does not solve anything", says Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2014-01-28 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram attacks northern Nigeria, also a Catholic church was attacked
- 2013-11-25 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Cardinal Onaiyekan’s prudence on the news of Christian women abducted by Boko Haram and forcibly converted to Islam
- 2013-11-22 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The existence of many Pentecostal churches is no impediment to the evangelization mission of the Catholic Church", said Cardinal Onaiyekan