AFRICA/NIGERIA – The Bishop of the city: the toll of the terrorist attacks in Kano remains uncertain
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - A series of attacks with explosives devastated Kano yesterday, 29 July, the main city in northern Nigeria. Fides Agency was able to briefly contact the Bishop of the city, His Exc. Mgr. John Namaza Niyiring who issued the following testimony: "Yesterday evening between 8 and 9 p.m., there were at least three explosions which caused several deaths and wounded, but we still do not know the exact number of victims". "The attacks occurred in Sabon Gari, which means the new town", said the Bishop. Mainly Nigerians from the south live in Sabon Gari, most of whom are Christians.
According to authorities, at least 12 people died as a result of the series of attacks attributed to Boko Haram, the Islamist sect that continues to strike despite the vast military operation launched by the government in Abuja in three States in northern Nigeria, where in May a state of emergency was imposed.
The Nigerian press reports that the army arrested forty suspected members of Boko Haram in some parts of the south-western part of Nigeria, where they had fled to escape the military operations in the north. The authorities are on alert for additional attacks to be carried out before the end of Ramadan. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 30/07/2013)
AFRICA/NIGERIA – THE BISHOP OF THE CITY: THE TOLL OF THE TERRORIST ATTACKS IN KANO REMAINS UNCERTAIN
- 2015-11-18 - New attack in the northeast while the President denounces: "the army sabotaged by corruption"
- 2015-11-12 - Bishop of Maiduguri's appeal: "We need concrete help for displaced people affected by Boko Haram"
- 2015-10-22 - Fresh attacks by Boko Haram, US intensifies military assistance to threatened countries
- 2015-09-28 - Bishops: "Need to diversify the economy in order to avoid our young people to migrate to Europe"
- 2015-09-23 - Despite the attacks, the displaced return to Maiduguri; 3 priests ordained in a community ransacked by Boko Haram
- 2015-09-17 - 60% of children are victims of abuse and violence of all kinds
- 2015-09-10 - Another priest kidnapped; more and more religious victims of road ambushes
- 2015-09-02 - Bishops support President Buhari's campaign against corruption
- 2015-08-17 - Claretian Missionary priest killed in road ambush
- 2015-07-16 - "If Boko Haram succeed in cutting us off from the other part of Nigeria, Maiduguri is doomed"