AFRICA/NIGERIA – The Bishop of the city: the toll of the terrorist attacks in Kano remains uncertain
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - A series of attacks with explosives devastated Kano yesterday, 29 July, the main city in northern Nigeria. Fides Agency was able to briefly contact the Bishop of the city, His Exc. Mgr. John Namaza Niyiring who issued the following testimony: "Yesterday evening between 8 and 9 p.m., there were at least three explosions which caused several deaths and wounded, but we still do not know the exact number of victims". "The attacks occurred in Sabon Gari, which means the new town", said the Bishop. Mainly Nigerians from the south live in Sabon Gari, most of whom are Christians.
According to authorities, at least 12 people died as a result of the series of attacks attributed to Boko Haram, the Islamist sect that continues to strike despite the vast military operation launched by the government in Abuja in three States in northern Nigeria, where in May a state of emergency was imposed.
The Nigerian press reports that the army arrested forty suspected members of Boko Haram in some parts of the south-western part of Nigeria, where they had fled to escape the military operations in the north. The authorities are on alert for additional attacks to be carried out before the end of Ramadan. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 30/07/2013)
AFRICA/NIGERIA – THE BISHOP OF THE CITY: THE TOLL OF THE TERRORIST ATTACKS IN KANO REMAINS UNCERTAIN
- 2015-07-03 - "Boko Haram wants to punish Muslims who rebel against their violence", says a priest from Abuja
- 2015-07-01 - "Precarious security and non-existent infrastructure in the areas liberated by Boko Haram" reports the Bishop of Yola
- 2015-06-24 - "Despite the latest attacks, we hope that Boko Haram will be soon defeated" says the Bishop of Maiduguri
- 2015-06-22 - Priest kidnapped on June 8 has been released, no ransom was paid
- 2015-06-13 - Still no contact with the kidnappers of the priest kidnapped
- 2015-06-11 - "We are waiting to be contacted by the kidnappers", says the Bishop of Ekiti after the kidnapping of a priest
- 2015-06-03 - Boko Haram hits Maiduguri again
- 2015-06-02 - A priest killed in an attempted robbery
- 2015-06-01 - "Let us pray for the new President" says the President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-05-29 - The Bishops: "No to mass abortion for girls raped by Boko Haram; we are ready to help"