AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Destruction, death, violence, theft: funds allocated for the reconstruction of 4 dioceses
Bangassou (Agenzia Fides) - Four Central African dioceses which were attacked and robbed by a group of radical Islamist of the coalition Séléka, from Chad and Sudan, will benefit from an urgent aid campaign promoted by the humanitarian organization Aid to the Church in Need. The rebels, in this region, looted 50% of the assets of the Church. In a statement Msgr. Juan José Aguirre, a Spanish missionary and bishop of Bangassou, one of the affected regions, reported that the population is experiencing widespread and systematic attacks by criminal groups that use violence as a language and weapon of war. About 400 people have been killed. "People run away anywhere, trampled, young 20-year-old girls raped by soldiers that enter homes in search of weapons", says Msgr. Aguirre. "As far as theft is concerned the rebels were looking for cars and motorcycles that missionaries use in the diocese, to turn them into weapons of war.
They stole everything they could and then sold, refrigerators, television sets, blankets". The allocated aid will be used to rebuild everything that was destroyed, from educational centers to pediatric services, the purchase of medical supplies, food, and transportation. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 30/07/2013)
- 2015-11-23 - The video message from Pope Francis brought to the Muslims by the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2015-10-28 - Archbishop of Bangui tells Fides that he was not kidnapped during a visit to the Central Mosque
- 2015-10-14 - The PMS invite to "put an end to hostility and bickering" and ask for sanctions and compensation
- 2015-10-01 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – More clashes, but people want the stability of institutions
- 2015-09-29 - Thousands of people find refuge in parishes
- 2015-09-29 - Bangui in chaos: the reconstruction of the accidents, towards an uncertain future
- 2015-09-08 - Archbishop of Bangui: "Authority and the international community have to take on their responsibility to stop the violence"
- 2015-08-19 - The 2015 Sergio Vieira de Mello Prize will be awarded to the Interfaith Peace Platform
- 2015-07-24 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Training to counter unemployment: 29 teachers receive diploma
- 2015-05-18 - "We have to be humble to have the courage to forgive one another", said the Archbishop of Bangui