AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Destruction, death, violence, theft: funds allocated for the reconstruction of 4 dioceses
Bangassou (Agenzia Fides) - Four Central African dioceses which were attacked and robbed by a group of radical Islamist of the coalition Séléka, from Chad and Sudan, will benefit from an urgent aid campaign promoted by the humanitarian organization Aid to the Church in Need. The rebels, in this region, looted 50% of the assets of the Church. In a statement Msgr. Juan José Aguirre, a Spanish missionary and bishop of Bangassou, one of the affected regions, reported that the population is experiencing widespread and systematic attacks by criminal groups that use violence as a language and weapon of war. About 400 people have been killed. "People run away anywhere, trampled, young 20-year-old girls raped by soldiers that enter homes in search of weapons", says Msgr. Aguirre. "As far as theft is concerned the rebels were looking for cars and motorcycles that missionaries use in the diocese, to turn them into weapons of war.
They stole everything they could and then sold, refrigerators, television sets, blankets". The allocated aid will be used to rebuild everything that was destroyed, from educational centers to pediatric services, the purchase of medical supplies, food, and transportation. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 30/07/2013)
- 2014-04-10 - Solidarity Visit to Bangui of a U.S. interfaith delegation
- 2014-04-08 - "The only institution that still functions is the Catholic Church" says the Archbishop of Douala on a visit in Bangui
- 2014-03-20 - "The rainy season is approaching, emergency aid for displaced people is urgently needed" say religious leaders
- 2014-03-17 - "The conflict is not about religion", said Ban Ki-moon during the meeting with religious leaders for peace
- 2014-03-12 - "The situation has improved in Bozoum, but the situation remains precarious in the rest of the Country", says a missionary
- 2014-03-05 - Imam of Bangui: "If we want peace, we must be impartial and condemn all forms of violence"
- 2014-02-26 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC – Work goes on at Bangui university despite chaos
- 2014-02-24 - “churches and mosques must be rid of armed infiltrators”: say the Catholic Archbishop and the Imam of Bangui
- 2014-02-18 - "The Anti Balaka are doing more damage than Seleka", says a missionary
- 2014-02-14 - "God exists and God knows"