AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Destruction, death, violence, theft: funds allocated for the reconstruction of 4 dioceses
Bangassou (Agenzia Fides) - Four Central African dioceses which were attacked and robbed by a group of radical Islamist of the coalition Séléka, from Chad and Sudan, will benefit from an urgent aid campaign promoted by the humanitarian organization Aid to the Church in Need. The rebels, in this region, looted 50% of the assets of the Church. In a statement Msgr. Juan José Aguirre, a Spanish missionary and bishop of Bangassou, one of the affected regions, reported that the population is experiencing widespread and systematic attacks by criminal groups that use violence as a language and weapon of war. About 400 people have been killed. "People run away anywhere, trampled, young 20-year-old girls raped by soldiers that enter homes in search of weapons", says Msgr. Aguirre. "As far as theft is concerned the rebels were looking for cars and motorcycles that missionaries use in the diocese, to turn them into weapons of war.
They stole everything they could and then sold, refrigerators, television sets, blankets". The allocated aid will be used to rebuild everything that was destroyed, from educational centers to pediatric services, the purchase of medical supplies, food, and transportation. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 30/07/2013)
- 2014-08-18 - The Archbishop of Bangui to politicians "stop the suffering of the people as soon as possible"
- 2014-07-17 - Civil society presents a scheme to lead the country out of the crisis
- 2014-07-11 - "Immediate start of the process of disarmament to ensure safety" ask religious leaders and politicians
- 2014-07-09 - 17 people who sought refuge in the area of the Cathedral in Bambari have been killed
- 2014-07-08 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – The Cathedral in Bambari besieged by rebels
- 2014-07-01 - Twelve thousand refugees in the Cathedral of Bambari, the Bishop's appeal to Fides
- 2014-06-30 - "Civil society organizes itself, but authorities do not always help", says a missionary
- 2014-06-12 - The Archbishop of Bangui brings aid to 600 Muslims fleeing violence
- 2014-06-04 - New attacks against medical facilities and teams who work in Ndélé
- 2014-05-30 - The attack on Our Lady of Fatima parish in which a priest was killed was carried out by foreigners