AMERICA/MEXICO - The Bishop of Saltillo supports the defenders of human rights of immigrants
Saltillo (Agenzia Fides) - "In the minds of many, immigrants are a threat, they are thugs. But this happens to people who suffer from xenophobia, and this is one of the things we have always tackled": this is how the Bishop of the Diocese of Saltillo, His Exc. Mgr. Raúl Vera López, expressed himself after Sunday Mass yesterday, according to the note sent to Fides Agency. He became aware of the fact that other immigrants arrived at the Casa del Migrante in a terrible situation, beaten and abused, subjected to abuse, on behalf of members of the municipal police, the Bishop added: "The staff at the Casa del Migrante say that they believe their words, because they know the immigrant well and know the spiritual strength that is in them and the reasons why they are immigrating".
The Bishop wanted to publicly support the defenders of human rights of immigrants, because they have recognized moral qualities that allow them to denounce the abuses and torture suffered by the police. The mayor, Abraham Boulder, had in fact asked for evidence of the alleged violations committed by officials of the municipality. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/07/2013)
- 2014-09-29 - Prevention and relief centers: the Church committed against addiction
- 2014-09-24 - Priest found dead in the river Balsas
- 2014-09-18 - XV national meeting of the pastoral care of human mobility: "Listening to the migrant brother is like listening to the voice of Jesus"
- 2014-09-16 - "To be free is to recognise goodness and see that evil enslaves”: Independence Day celebrations
- 2014-09-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – majority of child workers in Mexico’s south east regions
- 2014-09-08 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Appointment of National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societi
- 2014-09-01 - “Migrants: for a better world”, pastoral care for human mobility national meeting
- 2014-08-20 - The number of migrants who are victims of human trafficking increases
- 2014-08-12 - Organ trafficking and sexual exploitation: about 45,000 children and young people missing and abducted
- 2014-08-05 - The State of Tabasco extends medical assistance to migrants; the satisfaction of the Bishop