AMERICA/MEXICO - The Bishop of Saltillo supports the defenders of human rights of immigrants
Saltillo (Agenzia Fides) - "In the minds of many, immigrants are a threat, they are thugs. But this happens to people who suffer from xenophobia, and this is one of the things we have always tackled": this is how the Bishop of the Diocese of Saltillo, His Exc. Mgr. Raúl Vera López, expressed himself after Sunday Mass yesterday, according to the note sent to Fides Agency. He became aware of the fact that other immigrants arrived at the Casa del Migrante in a terrible situation, beaten and abused, subjected to abuse, on behalf of members of the municipal police, the Bishop added: "The staff at the Casa del Migrante say that they believe their words, because they know the immigrant well and know the spiritual strength that is in them and the reasons why they are immigrating".
The Bishop wanted to publicly support the defenders of human rights of immigrants, because they have recognized moral qualities that allow them to denounce the abuses and torture suffered by the police. The mayor, Abraham Boulder, had in fact asked for evidence of the alleged violations committed by officials of the municipality. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/07/2013)
- 2014-04-15 - Tension in the area of Veracruz due to the work of the hydroelectric power plant
- 2014-04-09 - Six out of 10 children live in poverty, laws are being studied to respect the rights of children
- 2014-04-04 - All involved in finding different mechanisms to put an end to violence
- 2014-03-31 - Mgr. Calzada Guerrero’s appeal:The killings in Oaxaca are a strong wake-up call
- 2014-03-28 - The Bishops: stop with threats! The problem in the area of Veracruz can be resolved through dialogue
- 2014-03-24 - Mgr. Pierre for the 50th anniversary of the Diocese of Veracruz: "Re-launch evangelization"
- 2014-03-15 - The complaint of a Bishop: "Corruption strangles bean farmers"
- 2014-03-14 - How to respond to the challenges of the American continent
- 2014-03-05 - The phenomenon of adolescent mothers who drop out of school continues to worsen
- 2014-03-04 - Ash Wednesday: 200 priests go to prisons, to bring hope and encouragement