AMERICA/MEXICO - The Bishop of Saltillo supports the defenders of human rights of immigrants
Saltillo (Agenzia Fides) - "In the minds of many, immigrants are a threat, they are thugs. But this happens to people who suffer from xenophobia, and this is one of the things we have always tackled": this is how the Bishop of the Diocese of Saltillo, His Exc. Mgr. Raúl Vera López, expressed himself after Sunday Mass yesterday, according to the note sent to Fides Agency. He became aware of the fact that other immigrants arrived at the Casa del Migrante in a terrible situation, beaten and abused, subjected to abuse, on behalf of members of the municipal police, the Bishop added: "The staff at the Casa del Migrante say that they believe their words, because they know the immigrant well and know the spiritual strength that is in them and the reasons why they are immigrating".
The Bishop wanted to publicly support the defenders of human rights of immigrants, because they have recognized moral qualities that allow them to denounce the abuses and torture suffered by the police. The mayor, Abraham Boulder, had in fact asked for evidence of the alleged violations committed by officials of the municipality. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/07/2013)
- 2014-07-15 - The solution to the problem of emigration passes through cultural and social conversion
- 2014-07-15 - Bishop Aguilar’s appeal : "Migrant children are not intruders or invaders"
- 2014-07-14 - Cardinal Parolin, Vatican's Secretary of State, in Mexico for the emergency regarding emigration
- 2014-07-11 - The Central American Church's commitment to eradicate the causes of child emigration
- 2014-07-07 - More than 8 million indigenous women suffer physical and moral violence
- 2014-07-04 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Inauguration of a reception center, but the issue on migrants should be resolved at the root
- 2014-07-03 - Formation and spirituality for a missionary Church, engaged in society
- 2014-07-02 - Immigrant children: now even more controls on the southern border of Mexico
- 2014-07-01 - Despite the distrust of the population, the police fight against crime
- 2014-06-30 - Marijuana and cocaine as early as 12 years of age