AMERICA/MEXICO - The Bishop of Saltillo supports the defenders of human rights of immigrants
Saltillo (Agenzia Fides) - "In the minds of many, immigrants are a threat, they are thugs. But this happens to people who suffer from xenophobia, and this is one of the things we have always tackled": this is how the Bishop of the Diocese of Saltillo, His Exc. Mgr. Raúl Vera López, expressed himself after Sunday Mass yesterday, according to the note sent to Fides Agency. He became aware of the fact that other immigrants arrived at the Casa del Migrante in a terrible situation, beaten and abused, subjected to abuse, on behalf of members of the municipal police, the Bishop added: "The staff at the Casa del Migrante say that they believe their words, because they know the immigrant well and know the spiritual strength that is in them and the reasons why they are immigrating".
The Bishop wanted to publicly support the defenders of human rights of immigrants, because they have recognized moral qualities that allow them to denounce the abuses and torture suffered by the police. The mayor, Abraham Boulder, had in fact asked for evidence of the alleged violations committed by officials of the municipality. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/07/2013)
- 2015-04-21 - Consecration of the Bishop of Orizaba: active participation of the indigenous community in Náhuatl language
- 2015-04-20 - Every day two thousand weapons smuggled into Mexico from the United States
- 2015-04-17 - The Assembly of Bishops: "Without trust and participation we cannot go forth!"
- 2015-04-15 - Every year thousands of children are born on the street, at home or in situations considered at high risk
- 2015-04-14 - Meeting between the Church and those responsible of the elections: no to boycott
- 2015-04-09 - Another priest killed
- 2015-03-31 - The denunciation of the Bishop of Piedras Negras: Too many missing persons of whom we know nothing
- 2015-03-23 - Caritas supports 80 thousand people without food or health care
- 2015-02-27 - The number of child laborers, exploited and often unpaid continues to increase
- 2015-02-27 - 5 months after the death of the students of Ayotzinapa: a calm but critical attitude