AMERICA/MEXICO - The Bishop of Saltillo supports the defenders of human rights of immigrants
Saltillo (Agenzia Fides) - "In the minds of many, immigrants are a threat, they are thugs. But this happens to people who suffer from xenophobia, and this is one of the things we have always tackled": this is how the Bishop of the Diocese of Saltillo, His Exc. Mgr. Raúl Vera López, expressed himself after Sunday Mass yesterday, according to the note sent to Fides Agency. He became aware of the fact that other immigrants arrived at the Casa del Migrante in a terrible situation, beaten and abused, subjected to abuse, on behalf of members of the municipal police, the Bishop added: "The staff at the Casa del Migrante say that they believe their words, because they know the immigrant well and know the spiritual strength that is in them and the reasons why they are immigrating".
The Bishop wanted to publicly support the defenders of human rights of immigrants, because they have recognized moral qualities that allow them to denounce the abuses and torture suffered by the police. The mayor, Abraham Boulder, had in fact asked for evidence of the alleged violations committed by officials of the municipality. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/07/2013)
- 2015-05-28 - The churches of Piedras Negras become centers of aid to people affected by the tornado
- 2015-05-27 - Tornado among the strongest recorded in the country affects Ciudad Acuña: 14 deaths and massive damage
- 2015-05-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Mgr. Moreno Barron’s appeal: Go and vote, do not sell your vote
- 2015-05-19 - Six million Mexican children do not go to school because of discrimination
- 2015-05-13 - Tarahumara children sleep in schools so they are not forced to walk five hours
- 2015-05-13 - AMERICA/MEXICO – When will violence be stopped?
- 2015-05-11 - Mgr. Armendáriz to candidates: "We want proposals rather than promises"
- 2015-05-06 - The monumental image of the "Cristo de las Noas" will be donated to the diocese of Torreon
- 2015-04-30 - Toys, sweets, clothes, shoes: collection in favor of the more vulnerable indigenous children
- 2015-04-27 - Cardinal Robles: "There is corruption, mistrust, culture of violence, but we must propose a Church that goes forth"