AMERICA/CHILE - "Violent irrationality, a great offense to God and the community", complaint by Mgr. Ezzati
Santiago (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of Santiago, Mgr. Ricardo Ezzati condemned the attack against the Cathedral of Santiago by the pro-abortion protesters and showed "his dismay towards those who have the obligation to ensure people’s safety".
The note sent to Fides by the Archdiocese of Santiago, reports that Mgr. Ezzati wrote, in the letter submitted to the national community, about what took place in the Metropolitan Cathedral: "The entry of a group of violent anarchists who stormed in the temple with slogans against life and pro-abortion. The intolerance of fanatics and their violent irrationality was a great offense to God and the community of believers in Christ. This was a painful incident with assault and ill-treatment to different persons, and the destruction and damage to the artistic and religious heritage of the main temple of the country".
"The Metropolitan Cathedral is a public, open place, declared a national monument, where they are hundreds of citizens every day, but in recent times people have been threatened by bombs and other attacks".
The Archbishop of Santiago has also announced that the archdiocese's lawyers have filed a complaint in court against the perpetrators. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 27/07/2013)
- 2014-11-19 - Bishops support: "an educational reform for the good of the nation"
- 2014-10-20 - A hundred thousand on a pilgrimage for the family to the shrine of the first Chilean Saint
- 2014-10-03 - Apostolic Vicar of Aysen awarded: "Water is also a problem of sovereignty"
- 2014-06-26 - Wüñol Tripantu, the Mapuche celebration of the rebirth of life
- 2014-06-20 - "Here we are Lord, in the World Cup": special section on the website of the Catholic Bishops' Conference
- 2014-05-30 - AMERICA/CHILE – Local Catholic Church committed to educational reform nation wide
- 2014-05-07 - The decline in vocations to priesthood at the center of the Assembly of Bishops of Chile
- 2014-04-14 - Card. Ezzati’s appeal: Solidarity with the people of Valparaiso after the tragic fire
- 2014-01-09 - Peru and Chile, brotherly peoples
- 2014-01-07 - "One should listen to the Mapuche people in order to resolve the conflict in Araucanía" asks the Bishop of Temuco