AMERICA/CHILE - "Violent irrationality, a great offense to God and the community", complaint by Mgr. Ezzati
Santiago (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of Santiago, Mgr. Ricardo Ezzati condemned the attack against the Cathedral of Santiago by the pro-abortion protesters and showed "his dismay towards those who have the obligation to ensure people’s safety".
The note sent to Fides by the Archdiocese of Santiago, reports that Mgr. Ezzati wrote, in the letter submitted to the national community, about what took place in the Metropolitan Cathedral: "The entry of a group of violent anarchists who stormed in the temple with slogans against life and pro-abortion. The intolerance of fanatics and their violent irrationality was a great offense to God and the community of believers in Christ. This was a painful incident with assault and ill-treatment to different persons, and the destruction and damage to the artistic and religious heritage of the main temple of the country".
"The Metropolitan Cathedral is a public, open place, declared a national monument, where they are hundreds of citizens every day, but in recent times people have been threatened by bombs and other attacks".
The Archbishop of Santiago has also announced that the archdiocese's lawyers have filed a complaint in court against the perpetrators. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 27/07/2013)
- 2015-09-29 - The Bishop of Punta Arenas denounces: There is no transparency in the agreements for gas
- 2015-09-25 - Earthquake victims help other victims: the President of Caritas Chile in the affected areas
- 2015-08-06 - "Freedoms have limits", said Mgr. Chomalí
- 2015-08-03 - “Abortion is never therapeutic”: local Catholic Church attacks
- 2015-07-01 - Procession at sea on Easter Island for St. Peter, praying for the Pope's visit
- 2015-05-19 - The main problems of childhood in Chile: Sexual exploitation, trafficking, drugs, alcohol
- 2015-05-18 - First agreement between former political prisoners and government, Mgr. Goic President of the Commission
- 2015-05-16 - Two students die during the protests; the Church appeals for non-violence
- 2015-05-06 - Bishops' statement: "The right to truth, forgiveness is not impunity"
- 2015-04-15 - Protection of life and communication in the Church's mission, priority in the Chilean Church