AMERICA/PERU - Concrete gestures of solidarity to celebrate the national holiday, the Bishops’ message
Lima (Agenzia Fides) - Peru celebrates the 192nd anniversary of National Independence on July 28 and the message from the President of the Episcopal Conference, Mgr. Salvador Piñeiro García Calderón, Archbishop of Ayacucho was sent to Fides.
"As Peruvians we assume the richness of faith, culture and Christian values that previous generations left us, to build a great and sovereign homeland. The challenge facing us now demands full respect for the legitimate laws, especially those which are necessary for growth and development; demands an honest and faithful service on behalf of all the people that make up the istitution of the State and Peruvian society; requires everyone to make concrete gestures of solidarity towards the weakest members of our society", the message reads.
Mgr. Piñeiro García Calderón, also presents the reality that the country currently lives: "We cannot ignore the difficulties that our country is facing: insecurity in cities, violence and crime, the political weakness of some important institutions of our country, which concerns not only their members, but have an impact on all levels of society. To overcome these difficulties is a common requirement that the State, media and society as a whole should engage, in order to be able to reach the path of peace and development based on justice, truth, honesty and solidarity" the message concludes (CE) (Agenzia Fides 27/07/2013 )
- 2014-08-18 - Killed during their missionary work 23 years ago
- 2014-07-26 - 193 years of independent and Catholic life
- 2014-07-07 - The President receives requests to stop the law on therapeutic abortion
- 2014-07-04 - School conditions for poor Ashaninkas children
- 2014-07-02 - Legislation for therapeutic abortion is "immoral, unconstitutional and illegal"
- 2014-06-23 - Disabled children integrated in public schools in the south-west area of the Country
- 2014-06-13 - Denunciation of the Bishop of Puerto Maldonado for the violent intervention of the police against the miners
- 2014-05-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "to link all to criminality is just junk journalism"
- 2014-05-17 - Ceramic workshop in prison, with the help of the local Church
- 2014-04-16 - Small producers of pineapple take a step forward in the domestic market, with the support of Caritas