AMERICA/PERU - Concrete gestures of solidarity to celebrate the national holiday, the Bishops’ message
Lima (Agenzia Fides) - Peru celebrates the 192nd anniversary of National Independence on July 28 and the message from the President of the Episcopal Conference, Mgr. Salvador Piñeiro García Calderón, Archbishop of Ayacucho was sent to Fides.
"As Peruvians we assume the richness of faith, culture and Christian values that previous generations left us, to build a great and sovereign homeland. The challenge facing us now demands full respect for the legitimate laws, especially those which are necessary for growth and development; demands an honest and faithful service on behalf of all the people that make up the istitution of the State and Peruvian society; requires everyone to make concrete gestures of solidarity towards the weakest members of our society", the message reads.
Mgr. Piñeiro García Calderón, also presents the reality that the country currently lives: "We cannot ignore the difficulties that our country is facing: insecurity in cities, violence and crime, the political weakness of some important institutions of our country, which concerns not only their members, but have an impact on all levels of society. To overcome these difficulties is a common requirement that the State, media and society as a whole should engage, in order to be able to reach the path of peace and development based on justice, truth, honesty and solidarity" the message concludes (CE) (Agenzia Fides 27/07/2013 )
- 2015-04-13 - Many children grow up in prison with their imprisoned mothers
- 2015-04-09 - Children forced to attend classes under trees infested by wasps
- 2015-02-05 - In August, the beatification of three missionaries killed: the first martyrs of the diocese and Peru
- 2015-02-04 - The three missionaries killed in 1991 will be beatified because they were close to the poorest
- 2015-01-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote asks protection for judges: "We are living in fear"
- 2015-01-22 - Mgr. Salvador Piñeiro re-elected President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-19 - Missionary Father Bachs has died, defender of the right to education of young people in need
- 2014-12-16 - Climate change: Christians in defense of the weak and of their suffering
- 2014-12-13 - Analysis of the socio-cultural impacts of mining and contribution of missionaries
- 2014-12-03 - COP 20: world meeting for climatic justice, churches together to care for creation