AMERICA/PERU - Concrete gestures of solidarity to celebrate the national holiday, the Bishops’ message
Lima (Agenzia Fides) - Peru celebrates the 192nd anniversary of National Independence on July 28 and the message from the President of the Episcopal Conference, Mgr. Salvador Piñeiro García Calderón, Archbishop of Ayacucho was sent to Fides.
"As Peruvians we assume the richness of faith, culture and Christian values that previous generations left us, to build a great and sovereign homeland. The challenge facing us now demands full respect for the legitimate laws, especially those which are necessary for growth and development; demands an honest and faithful service on behalf of all the people that make up the istitution of the State and Peruvian society; requires everyone to make concrete gestures of solidarity towards the weakest members of our society", the message reads.
Mgr. Piñeiro García Calderón, also presents the reality that the country currently lives: "We cannot ignore the difficulties that our country is facing: insecurity in cities, violence and crime, the political weakness of some important institutions of our country, which concerns not only their members, but have an impact on all levels of society. To overcome these difficulties is a common requirement that the State, media and society as a whole should engage, in order to be able to reach the path of peace and development based on justice, truth, honesty and solidarity" the message concludes (CE) (Agenzia Fides 27/07/2013 )
- 2015-10-07 - The preparation for the beatification of the three missionaries killed in 1991 continues
- 2015-09-24 - Mgr. Piorno to the authorities involved in court proceedings: "The best thing is to resign, for the tranquility of the population"
- 2015-09-08 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "the solution to insecurity is not lynching"
- 2015-09-02 - A month dedicated to combatting human trafficking
- 2015-07-25 - AMERICA/PERU – 100 years of mission among indigenous women in the Amazon
- 2015-07-23 - Peru and Brazil together to eradicate child labour in Amazonia
- 2015-07-03 - Lost childhood in coffee plantations
- 2015-06-13 - National Week of the Migrant: Letter of Bishops to 3 million Peruvians abroad
- 2015-05-12 - Bishops call for urgent action and dialogue, "No more violence" for the Tia Maria case
- 2015-04-13 - Many children grow up in prison with their imprisoned mothers