AMERICA/BRAZIL – WYD: unscheduled program for young Argentines, with an invitation "to make noise"
Rio de Janeiro (Agenzia Fides) - "It was like a big hug from the Pope to all of us", said Auxiliary Bishop of La Plata, His Exc. Mgr. Alberto Germán Bochatey Chaneton, O.S.A. commenting on the meeting of Pope Bergoglio with young Argentines and 30 Bishops in the Cathedral of Rio de Janeiro which took place yesterday, July 25. The Cathedral was packed with 5,000 Argentine faithful while other 13,000 had to remain outside.
His Exc. Mgr. Jorge Lozano, Bishop of Gualeguaychú and head of the Social Pastoral of the Episcopal Conference of Argentina, stressed that "the testimony of young people are an example of commitment to the Church" and said he was also moved by the perseverance of the young Argentines, because they waited many hours in the rain for an unscheduled program. But in the end the Argentines felt they were being caressed by the pope".
The note sent to Fides Agency reports that on the way back from a visit to the Community of Varginha, the Pope wanted to meet the Argentine community present at WYD. "This youth wants to live and build a more caring and just world, and is here to listen to your words", said His Exc. Mgr. José María Arancedo, President of the Episcopal Conference of Argentina, during the presentation of the young people to the Holy Father.
"Young people have to go out and fight for values and the elderly have to speak out and pass on histrory and memory", said the Holy Father, who then continued: "Faith in Jesus Christ is not a joke: it is a scandal! The Cross continues to be a scandal, but that of the Cross, the Incarnation of Jesus is the only safe path". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 26/07/2013)
AMERICA/BRAZIL – WYD: UNSCHEDULED PROGRAM FOR YOUNG ARGENTINES, WITH AN INVITATION "TO MAKE NOISE"
- 2015-05-22 - More than 630,000 signatures for political Reform and transparent elections
- 2015-05-02 - Bishops' Message for May 1st: "We cannot live with slave labor"
- 2015-04-29 - "They kill to intimidate": another indigenous leader killed, the complaint of CIMI
- 2015-04-28 - Theme chosen for Missionary Campaign 2015 in Brazil: "Mission is to serve"
- 2015-04-15 - Report of the Pastoral Commission for Land: Homicides in the rural area increase
- 2015-04-13 - First missionary experience of fifty young men and women religious in the Amazon
- 2015-04-09 - Twelve million people live in favelas: educational projects for children
- 2015-04-01 - The Bishops' of Paranà: "We too suffer with the people ..."
- 2015-03-18 - Report on conflicts over water in Brazil: 42 000 families involved
- 2015-03-05 - A march for Women's Day in Brasilia:"Religions for women's rights"