AMERICA/BRAZIL – WYD: unscheduled program for young Argentines, with an invitation "to make noise"
Rio de Janeiro (Agenzia Fides) - "It was like a big hug from the Pope to all of us", said Auxiliary Bishop of La Plata, His Exc. Mgr. Alberto Germán Bochatey Chaneton, O.S.A. commenting on the meeting of Pope Bergoglio with young Argentines and 30 Bishops in the Cathedral of Rio de Janeiro which took place yesterday, July 25. The Cathedral was packed with 5,000 Argentine faithful while other 13,000 had to remain outside.
His Exc. Mgr. Jorge Lozano, Bishop of Gualeguaychú and head of the Social Pastoral of the Episcopal Conference of Argentina, stressed that "the testimony of young people are an example of commitment to the Church" and said he was also moved by the perseverance of the young Argentines, because they waited many hours in the rain for an unscheduled program. But in the end the Argentines felt they were being caressed by the pope".
The note sent to Fides Agency reports that on the way back from a visit to the Community of Varginha, the Pope wanted to meet the Argentine community present at WYD. "This youth wants to live and build a more caring and just world, and is here to listen to your words", said His Exc. Mgr. José María Arancedo, President of the Episcopal Conference of Argentina, during the presentation of the young people to the Holy Father.
"Young people have to go out and fight for values and the elderly have to speak out and pass on histrory and memory", said the Holy Father, who then continued: "Faith in Jesus Christ is not a joke: it is a scandal! The Cross continues to be a scandal, but that of the Cross, the Incarnation of Jesus is the only safe path". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 26/07/2013)
- 2014-07-23 - Mission to relieve: a challenge for evangelization; the Missionary Campaign 2014 begins
- 2014-07-18 - The first "National Catholic Congress online" for those working in the field of evangelization
- 2014-07-16 - A photo exhibition on the 33 years of fighting for the rights of indigenous peoples arrives in Manaus
- 2014-07-04 - "Immediate answers concerning the issue of immigrants are urgently needed"
- 2014-06-30 - Exploitation of children: from the World Cup to the Winter Olympics 2016
- 2014-06-24 - "Mission to relieve" the missionary campaign against human trafficking in persons
- 2014-06-23 - The tragedy of child prostitution behind the glitz of the World Cup
- 2014-06-17 - Social inclusion and missionary work, the commitment of the Church in Brazil for Haiti continues
- 2014-06-12 - The World Cup begins with a "Red Card to Child Labour"
- 2014-06-11 - "The only goal that matters is the demarcation of our lands", say the indigenous