AMERICA/BRAZIL – WYD: unscheduled program for young Argentines, with an invitation "to make noise"
Rio de Janeiro (Agenzia Fides) - "It was like a big hug from the Pope to all of us", said Auxiliary Bishop of La Plata, His Exc. Mgr. Alberto Germán Bochatey Chaneton, O.S.A. commenting on the meeting of Pope Bergoglio with young Argentines and 30 Bishops in the Cathedral of Rio de Janeiro which took place yesterday, July 25. The Cathedral was packed with 5,000 Argentine faithful while other 13,000 had to remain outside.
His Exc. Mgr. Jorge Lozano, Bishop of Gualeguaychú and head of the Social Pastoral of the Episcopal Conference of Argentina, stressed that "the testimony of young people are an example of commitment to the Church" and said he was also moved by the perseverance of the young Argentines, because they waited many hours in the rain for an unscheduled program. But in the end the Argentines felt they were being caressed by the pope".
The note sent to Fides Agency reports that on the way back from a visit to the Community of Varginha, the Pope wanted to meet the Argentine community present at WYD. "This youth wants to live and build a more caring and just world, and is here to listen to your words", said His Exc. Mgr. José María Arancedo, President of the Episcopal Conference of Argentina, during the presentation of the young people to the Holy Father.
"Young people have to go out and fight for values and the elderly have to speak out and pass on histrory and memory", said the Holy Father, who then continued: "Faith in Jesus Christ is not a joke: it is a scandal! The Cross continues to be a scandal, but that of the Cross, the Incarnation of Jesus is the only safe path". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 26/07/2013)
- 2014-03-04 AMERICA/BRAZIL - " Fraternity and human trafficking", a constant struggle against this scourge
- 2014-02-17 AMERICA/BRAZIL - "Play for Life": thousands of religious mobilize against human trafficking
- 2014-02-06 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Cardinal Filoni: "The announcement ad gentes is part of the responsibility that all the particular Churches have toward Christ"
- 2014-02-04 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Cardinal Filoni to Brazilian Bishops: The II Vatican Council and the missionary dimension of the Church
- 2014-02-03 AMERICA/BRAZIL - 50 years since the II Vatican Council: missionary commitment, consecrated life, episcopal ministry of Bishops
- 2014-01-23 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Prisons do not re-educate and are in crisis: intervention of the Archbishop of Rio
- 2013-11-29 AMERICA/BRAZIL - A single voice: "the problem concerning land has to be solved permanently"
- 2013-11-20 AMERICA/BRAZIL - "Play for Life" campaign against human trafficking in view of the World Cup
- 2013-11-09 AMERICA/BRAZIL - The Bishops: Catholic communities in the front line against human trafficking
- 2013-10-19 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Orionines at the Assembly in Aparecida, 100 years after the arrival of the first missionaries in Brazil