AMERICA/MEXICO - "We want a life without violence": the Bishops re-launch young people's concerns
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of Tehuantepec and San Cristobal de Las Casas (Chiapas) are very concerned because the conditions of poverty and lack of opportunities for young people may lead them to enter into organized crime.
In the Basilica of Guadalupe, during the pilgrimage of the Diocese of Tehuantepec, the Bishop, His Exc. Mgr. Oscar Armando Campos Contreras, said that "injustice, impunity, which is reflected in crime, economic poverty, which then turns into misery, give no hope of development for young people, and make them easy prey for organized crime in the region".
In turn, His Exc. Mgr. Felipe Arizmendi Esquivel, Bishop of San Cristobal de las Casas, wanted to repeat what the youth of the parishes said about their reality: "We young people have changed our habits: we know that there are those who use drugs, many like earrings and tattoos, others get drunk, there are girls who are deceived in bars or sell themselves for money. But we do not want this, we do not want violence or kidnappings or killings and discrimination. We want to be someone in life and have a safe life, we want to live in fraternity and change the present".
The note sent to Fides Agency by the Mexican Episcopal Conference, reports that the pilgrimages of the various dioceses to the Basilica of Guadalupe, are part of the program organized for the celebration of the Year of Faith. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 25/07/2013)
- 2014-04-15 - Tension in the area of Veracruz due to the work of the hydroelectric power plant
- 2014-04-09 - Six out of 10 children live in poverty, laws are being studied to respect the rights of children
- 2014-04-04 - All involved in finding different mechanisms to put an end to violence
- 2014-03-31 - Mgr. Calzada Guerrero’s appeal:The killings in Oaxaca are a strong wake-up call
- 2014-03-28 - The Bishops: stop with threats! The problem in the area of Veracruz can be resolved through dialogue
- 2014-03-24 - Mgr. Pierre for the 50th anniversary of the Diocese of Veracruz: "Re-launch evangelization"
- 2014-03-15 - The complaint of a Bishop: "Corruption strangles bean farmers"
- 2014-03-14 - How to respond to the challenges of the American continent
- 2014-03-05 - The phenomenon of adolescent mothers who drop out of school continues to worsen
- 2014-03-04 - Ash Wednesday: 200 priests go to prisons, to bring hope and encouragement