AMERICA/MEXICO - "We want a life without violence": the Bishops re-launch young people's concerns
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of Tehuantepec and San Cristobal de Las Casas (Chiapas) are very concerned because the conditions of poverty and lack of opportunities for young people may lead them to enter into organized crime.
In the Basilica of Guadalupe, during the pilgrimage of the Diocese of Tehuantepec, the Bishop, His Exc. Mgr. Oscar Armando Campos Contreras, said that "injustice, impunity, which is reflected in crime, economic poverty, which then turns into misery, give no hope of development for young people, and make them easy prey for organized crime in the region".
In turn, His Exc. Mgr. Felipe Arizmendi Esquivel, Bishop of San Cristobal de las Casas, wanted to repeat what the youth of the parishes said about their reality: "We young people have changed our habits: we know that there are those who use drugs, many like earrings and tattoos, others get drunk, there are girls who are deceived in bars or sell themselves for money. But we do not want this, we do not want violence or kidnappings or killings and discrimination. We want to be someone in life and have a safe life, we want to live in fraternity and change the present".
The note sent to Fides Agency by the Mexican Episcopal Conference, reports that the pilgrimages of the various dioceses to the Basilica of Guadalupe, are part of the program organized for the celebration of the Year of Faith. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 25/07/2013)
- 2014-10-21 - When you do not respect the right of even one person, it jeopardizes the right of all
- 2014-10-21 - 2000 children have been killed or maimed between 2006 and 2014
- 2014-10-15 - "Never accept violence as a solution", warns Mgr. Lona Reyes who proposes a prayer campaign
- 2014-10-14 - Bishops on the Iguala case: "clarify what happened, the truth is the path to justice"
- 2014-10-10 - The tragedy of Iguala and its consequences: a letter from the Archbishop of Acapulco
- 2014-10-09 - Corrupt policemen and climate of mistrust, the Bishop of La Paz denounces the silence of the authorities
- 2014-09-29 - Prevention and relief centers: the Church committed against addiction
- 2014-09-24 - Priest found dead in the river Balsas
- 2014-09-18 - XV national meeting of the pastoral care of human mobility: "Listening to the migrant brother is like listening to the voice of Jesus"
- 2014-09-16 - "To be free is to recognise goodness and see that evil enslaves”: Independence Day celebrations