AMERICA/MEXICO - "We want a life without violence": the Bishops re-launch young people's concerns
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of Tehuantepec and San Cristobal de Las Casas (Chiapas) are very concerned because the conditions of poverty and lack of opportunities for young people may lead them to enter into organized crime.
In the Basilica of Guadalupe, during the pilgrimage of the Diocese of Tehuantepec, the Bishop, His Exc. Mgr. Oscar Armando Campos Contreras, said that "injustice, impunity, which is reflected in crime, economic poverty, which then turns into misery, give no hope of development for young people, and make them easy prey for organized crime in the region".
In turn, His Exc. Mgr. Felipe Arizmendi Esquivel, Bishop of San Cristobal de las Casas, wanted to repeat what the youth of the parishes said about their reality: "We young people have changed our habits: we know that there are those who use drugs, many like earrings and tattoos, others get drunk, there are girls who are deceived in bars or sell themselves for money. But we do not want this, we do not want violence or kidnappings or killings and discrimination. We want to be someone in life and have a safe life, we want to live in fraternity and change the present".
The note sent to Fides Agency by the Mexican Episcopal Conference, reports that the pilgrimages of the various dioceses to the Basilica of Guadalupe, are part of the program organized for the celebration of the Year of Faith. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 25/07/2013)
- 2015-04-21 - Consecration of the Bishop of Orizaba: active participation of the indigenous community in Náhuatl language
- 2015-04-20 - Every day two thousand weapons smuggled into Mexico from the United States
- 2015-04-17 - The Assembly of Bishops: "Without trust and participation we cannot go forth!"
- 2015-04-15 - Every year thousands of children are born on the street, at home or in situations considered at high risk
- 2015-04-14 - Meeting between the Church and those responsible of the elections: no to boycott
- 2015-04-09 - Another priest killed
- 2015-03-31 - The denunciation of the Bishop of Piedras Negras: Too many missing persons of whom we know nothing
- 2015-03-23 - Caritas supports 80 thousand people without food or health care
- 2015-02-27 - The number of child laborers, exploited and often unpaid continues to increase
- 2015-02-27 - 5 months after the death of the students of Ayotzinapa: a calm but critical attitude