AMERICA/MEXICO - "We want a life without violence": the Bishops re-launch young people's concerns
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of Tehuantepec and San Cristobal de Las Casas (Chiapas) are very concerned because the conditions of poverty and lack of opportunities for young people may lead them to enter into organized crime.
In the Basilica of Guadalupe, during the pilgrimage of the Diocese of Tehuantepec, the Bishop, His Exc. Mgr. Oscar Armando Campos Contreras, said that "injustice, impunity, which is reflected in crime, economic poverty, which then turns into misery, give no hope of development for young people, and make them easy prey for organized crime in the region".
In turn, His Exc. Mgr. Felipe Arizmendi Esquivel, Bishop of San Cristobal de las Casas, wanted to repeat what the youth of the parishes said about their reality: "We young people have changed our habits: we know that there are those who use drugs, many like earrings and tattoos, others get drunk, there are girls who are deceived in bars or sell themselves for money. But we do not want this, we do not want violence or kidnappings or killings and discrimination. We want to be someone in life and have a safe life, we want to live in fraternity and change the present".
The note sent to Fides Agency by the Mexican Episcopal Conference, reports that the pilgrimages of the various dioceses to the Basilica of Guadalupe, are part of the program organized for the celebration of the Year of Faith. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 25/07/2013)
- 2014-03-05 AMERICA/MEXICO - The phenomenon of adolescent mothers who drop out of school continues to worsen
- 2014-03-04 AMERICA/MEXICO - Ash Wednesday: 200 priests go to prisons, to bring hope and encouragement
- 2014-03-03 AMERICA/MEXICO - Five thousand people with the Bishop to march for peace and the family
- 2014-02-24 AMERICA/MEXICO - “We must be all involved to stop the violence” says the Bishop of Zacatecas
- 2014-02-20 AMERICA/MEXICO - Prevention is not enough: Church, state and society must work together to combat human trafficking
- 2014-02-18 AMERICA/MEXICO - "Society based on the family": opening of the Year of the Family in the Diocese of Orizaba
- 2014-02-12 AMERICA/MEXICO - Authorities have to talk less and be more effective in terms of safety
- 2014-02-06 AMERICA/MEXICO - Solidarity with the nuns assaulted and request to solve the problem of land
- 2014-02-05 AMERICA/MEXICO - The Church concerned about the influenza that kills
- 2014-02-04 AMERICA/MEXICO - "The use of drugs cannot be fought with drugs", the Archdiocese against the bill