AMERICA/MEXICO - "We want a life without violence": the Bishops re-launch young people's concerns
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of Tehuantepec and San Cristobal de Las Casas (Chiapas) are very concerned because the conditions of poverty and lack of opportunities for young people may lead them to enter into organized crime.
In the Basilica of Guadalupe, during the pilgrimage of the Diocese of Tehuantepec, the Bishop, His Exc. Mgr. Oscar Armando Campos Contreras, said that "injustice, impunity, which is reflected in crime, economic poverty, which then turns into misery, give no hope of development for young people, and make them easy prey for organized crime in the region".
In turn, His Exc. Mgr. Felipe Arizmendi Esquivel, Bishop of San Cristobal de las Casas, wanted to repeat what the youth of the parishes said about their reality: "We young people have changed our habits: we know that there are those who use drugs, many like earrings and tattoos, others get drunk, there are girls who are deceived in bars or sell themselves for money. But we do not want this, we do not want violence or kidnappings or killings and discrimination. We want to be someone in life and have a safe life, we want to live in fraternity and change the present".
The note sent to Fides Agency by the Mexican Episcopal Conference, reports that the pilgrimages of the various dioceses to the Basilica of Guadalupe, are part of the program organized for the celebration of the Year of Faith. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 25/07/2013)
- 2015-06-25 - Periodic monitoring of the situation of migrants, joint efforts of government and Church
- 2015-06-15 - Bishop of Mazatlan’s appeal after the violence perpetrated during the weekend
- 2015-06-13 - A card to distinguish true priests from false priests
- 2015-06-11 - The Bishops invite the winners of the elections to fulfil the promises made
- 2015-05-28 - The churches of Piedras Negras become centers of aid to people affected by the tornado
- 2015-05-27 - Tornado among the strongest recorded in the country affects Ciudad Acuña: 14 deaths and massive damage
- 2015-05-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Mgr. Moreno Barron’s appeal: Go and vote, do not sell your vote
- 2015-05-19 - Six million Mexican children do not go to school because of discrimination
- 2015-05-13 - Tarahumara children sleep in schools so they are not forced to walk five hours
- 2015-05-13 - AMERICA/MEXICO – When will violence be stopped?