ASIA/LEBANON - More Syrian children are expected than Lebanese for the next school year in Lebanon
Beirut (Agenzia Fides) - About half of the 6.8 million Syrians in need of urgent humanitarian assistance, both within Syria and on the borders, are school age children. According to UN data, the Country where there is the highest concentration of Syrian refugees is Lebanon, with about 545,000 people, followed by Jordan, with 400 thousand, Turkey with 350,000 and Egypt with 100 thousand. The humanitarian crisis in Syria is unprecedented, it is even more serious than the Rwandan genocide of the nineties and is impacting heavily in many sectors. In September, for the start of the new school year, it is expected that there will be more Syrian refugee students than Lebanese in the public schools and according to the authorities of the United Nations for Children and Armed Conflict, the schools are not prepared to accept many refugee children. Compounding the situation is the recruitment of children among the armed forces, they are forced to fight, they are killed and tortured as well as being held prisoners. Since the conflict in March 2011, according to the UN, at least 93,000 people have died in Syria, but the Syrian Observatory of Human Rights has declared more than 100,000. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 23/07/2013)
- 2014-04-11 - Neither Geagea, nor Aoun. For Patriarch Rai the new President must be a "figure of consensus"
- 2014-04-10 - The president of Caritas Lebanon: the international community has to open refugee camps in Syria
- 2014-03-26 - Patriarch Rai intervenes on the election of the new President
- 2014-03-18 - Patriarch Rai at the Mass for Caritas: the war of attrition in the Country must stop
- 2014-03-11 - Maronite Church: to encourage organ donation
- 2014-02-15 - The reduction of lands belonging to Christians continues
- 2014-02-10 - Feast of St. Maron, the Lebanese reflect on the "Bkerké Charter"
- 2014-02-05 - The victims of the Armenian Genocide will be canonized
- 2014-02-01 - Maronite priest Paul Karam new President of Caritas Lebanon
- 2014-01-23 - Patriarch Rai: Tripoli will not give in to the spiral of sectarian violence