AMERICA/MEXICO – A priest has been killed in the region of Baja California
Ensenada (Agenzia Fides) - Father Ignacio Cortez Alvarez, pastor of the church "María Auxiliadora", was killed in his home in the city of Ensenada, in the region of Baja California. The lifeless body of the priest was found yesterday, July 22, in his home next to the parish in the district of El Sauzal de Rodriguez.
As reported by the local police, the body has numerous injuries to the chest. The reasons for the murder remain unknown and the police have started the investigation.
In a note sent to Fides, the Diocese of Ensenada confirms the death of the priest: "The Diocese of Ensenada – is what is said in a statement that informs the community – sadly announces the death of Father Ignacio Cortez Alvarez, known as the 'Father Nachito'. May he rest in peace".
Father Cortez Alvarez was born in Janamuato, Michoacán, on October 16, 1956. He was ordained a priest on March 19, 1988 in the Cathedral of the Archdiocese of Tijuana. The funeral will be held tomorrow, 24 July, in the Cathedral of the diocese.
According to the annual document by Fides, in 2012, for the fourth consecutive time, America has recorded the highest number of pastoral workers killed compared to other continents. In 2012, two priests were murdered in Mexico (in Atizapan and Mochicahui). On the evening of February 5, 2013, a Mexican priest Fr. José Flores Preciado, who died after being beaten (see Fides 07/02/2013). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 23/07/2013)
AMERICA/MEXICO – A PRIEST HAS BEEN KILLED IN THE REGION OF BAJA CALIFORNIA
- 2014-11-15 - A Comboni missionary found dead in a mass grave, among other bodies
- 2014-11-13 - Mexican Bishops: "We do not want more blood, people killed or who disappear ... Enough!"
- 2014-11-11 - Show all the corruption and lies of those who have turned away from God and from the truth
- 2014-11-10 - The Bishops' appeal: "No more corruption and violence! Thorough investigation is needed"
- 2014-11-10 - The poor and the marginalized become producers of their food
- 2014-11-06 - Ecumenical Initiative: 43 hours of fasting and prayer for the 43 students of Ayotzinapa
- 2014-11-03 - The Bishops to the families of the students missing: "Hope pushes to keep fighting"
- 2014-10-30 - The families of the students who disappeared will be received by the President, Pope Francis asks for prayers
- 2014-10-27 - Living Rosary: 30 thousand faithful pray for drug traffickers and organized crime
- 2014-10-24 - Appeal and prayers for the students kidnapped: "Let them come back alive"