AMERICA/MEXICO – A priest has been killed in the region of Baja California
Ensenada (Agenzia Fides) - Father Ignacio Cortez Alvarez, pastor of the church "María Auxiliadora", was killed in his home in the city of Ensenada, in the region of Baja California. The lifeless body of the priest was found yesterday, July 22, in his home next to the parish in the district of El Sauzal de Rodriguez.
As reported by the local police, the body has numerous injuries to the chest. The reasons for the murder remain unknown and the police have started the investigation.
In a note sent to Fides, the Diocese of Ensenada confirms the death of the priest: "The Diocese of Ensenada – is what is said in a statement that informs the community – sadly announces the death of Father Ignacio Cortez Alvarez, known as the 'Father Nachito'. May he rest in peace".
Father Cortez Alvarez was born in Janamuato, Michoacán, on October 16, 1956. He was ordained a priest on March 19, 1988 in the Cathedral of the Archdiocese of Tijuana. The funeral will be held tomorrow, 24 July, in the Cathedral of the diocese.
According to the annual document by Fides, in 2012, for the fourth consecutive time, America has recorded the highest number of pastoral workers killed compared to other continents. In 2012, two priests were murdered in Mexico (in Atizapan and Mochicahui). On the evening of February 5, 2013, a Mexican priest Fr. José Flores Preciado, who died after being beaten (see Fides 07/02/2013). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 23/07/2013)
AMERICA/MEXICO – A PRIEST HAS BEEN KILLED IN THE REGION OF BAJA CALIFORNIA
- 2015-05-28 - The churches of Piedras Negras become centers of aid to people affected by the tornado
- 2015-05-27 - Tornado among the strongest recorded in the country affects Ciudad Acuña: 14 deaths and massive damage
- 2015-05-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Mgr. Moreno Barron’s appeal: Go and vote, do not sell your vote
- 2015-05-19 - Six million Mexican children do not go to school because of discrimination
- 2015-05-13 - Tarahumara children sleep in schools so they are not forced to walk five hours
- 2015-05-13 - AMERICA/MEXICO – When will violence be stopped?
- 2015-05-11 - Mgr. Armendáriz to candidates: "We want proposals rather than promises"
- 2015-05-06 - The monumental image of the "Cristo de las Noas" will be donated to the diocese of Torreon
- 2015-04-30 - Toys, sweets, clothes, shoes: collection in favor of the more vulnerable indigenous children
- 2015-04-27 - Cardinal Robles: "There is corruption, mistrust, culture of violence, but we must propose a Church that goes forth"