AMERICA/MEXICO – A priest has been killed in the region of Baja California
Ensenada (Agenzia Fides) - Father Ignacio Cortez Alvarez, pastor of the church "María Auxiliadora", was killed in his home in the city of Ensenada, in the region of Baja California. The lifeless body of the priest was found yesterday, July 22, in his home next to the parish in the district of El Sauzal de Rodriguez.
As reported by the local police, the body has numerous injuries to the chest. The reasons for the murder remain unknown and the police have started the investigation.
In a note sent to Fides, the Diocese of Ensenada confirms the death of the priest: "The Diocese of Ensenada – is what is said in a statement that informs the community – sadly announces the death of Father Ignacio Cortez Alvarez, known as the 'Father Nachito'. May he rest in peace".
Father Cortez Alvarez was born in Janamuato, Michoacán, on October 16, 1956. He was ordained a priest on March 19, 1988 in the Cathedral of the Archdiocese of Tijuana. The funeral will be held tomorrow, 24 July, in the Cathedral of the diocese.
According to the annual document by Fides, in 2012, for the fourth consecutive time, America has recorded the highest number of pastoral workers killed compared to other continents. In 2012, two priests were murdered in Mexico (in Atizapan and Mochicahui). On the evening of February 5, 2013, a Mexican priest Fr. José Flores Preciado, who died after being beaten (see Fides 07/02/2013). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 23/07/2013)
AMERICA/MEXICO – A PRIEST HAS BEEN KILLED IN THE REGION OF BAJA CALIFORNIA
- 2015-02-27 - The number of child laborers, exploited and often unpaid continues to increase
- 2015-02-27 - 5 months after the death of the students of Ayotzinapa: a calm but critical attitude
- 2015-02-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Nine years of indifference and impunity: the tragedy of Pasta de Conchos mine
- 2015-02-18 - “The poor are the ones who pay the price of corrupt politicians” Bishops denounce
- 2015-02-16 - For 20 years a group of women has offered railway-line assistance to emigrants travelling towards the United States
- 2015-02-12 - The Archdiocese of Acapulco committed to protecting young people from criminal gangs
- 2015-02-10 - Migrants: a phenomenon which is difficult to quantify
- 2015-02-09 - The Bishop of Zacatecas: "People die every day"
- 2015-01-27 - Cardinal Rivera: "To change our society personal conversion is needed"
- 2015-01-27 - Child labor: 2 million and a half working children