AMERICA/MEXICO – A priest has been killed in the region of Baja California
Ensenada (Agenzia Fides) - Father Ignacio Cortez Alvarez, pastor of the church "María Auxiliadora", was killed in his home in the city of Ensenada, in the region of Baja California. The lifeless body of the priest was found yesterday, July 22, in his home next to the parish in the district of El Sauzal de Rodriguez.
As reported by the local police, the body has numerous injuries to the chest. The reasons for the murder remain unknown and the police have started the investigation.
In a note sent to Fides, the Diocese of Ensenada confirms the death of the priest: "The Diocese of Ensenada – is what is said in a statement that informs the community – sadly announces the death of Father Ignacio Cortez Alvarez, known as the 'Father Nachito'. May he rest in peace".
Father Cortez Alvarez was born in Janamuato, Michoacán, on October 16, 1956. He was ordained a priest on March 19, 1988 in the Cathedral of the Archdiocese of Tijuana. The funeral will be held tomorrow, 24 July, in the Cathedral of the diocese.
According to the annual document by Fides, in 2012, for the fourth consecutive time, America has recorded the highest number of pastoral workers killed compared to other continents. In 2012, two priests were murdered in Mexico (in Atizapan and Mochicahui). On the evening of February 5, 2013, a Mexican priest Fr. José Flores Preciado, who died after being beaten (see Fides 07/02/2013). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 23/07/2013)
- 2014-09-18 - XV national meeting of the pastoral care of human mobility: "Listening to the migrant brother is like listening to the voice of Jesus"
- 2014-09-16 - "To be free is to recognise goodness and see that evil enslaves”: Independence Day celebrations
- 2014-09-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – majority of child workers in Mexico’s south east regions
- 2014-09-08 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Appointment of National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societi
- 2014-09-01 - “Migrants: for a better world”, pastoral care for human mobility national meeting
- 2014-08-20 - The number of migrants who are victims of human trafficking increases
- 2014-08-12 - Organ trafficking and sexual exploitation: about 45,000 children and young people missing and abducted
- 2014-08-05 - The State of Tabasco extends medical assistance to migrants; the satisfaction of the Bishop
- 2014-07-31 - The Bishops: "Family Reunification for immigrant children"
- 2014-07-31 - Major epidemiological control towards the chikungunya virus