ASIA/SOUTH KOREA – March for peace on the border between the Koreas: Prayer for Reconciliation
Seoul (Agenzia Fides) - Faithful Korean Catholics will march and pray for peace in the demilitarized area on the border between North and South Korea: As reported to Fides, it is one of the initiatives that characterize the months of July and August 2013, which are for the Korean Church "a special time to pray for reconciliation and unity of the Korean people". On the occasion of the 60th anniversary of the conclusion of the armistice between North Korea and South Korea, July 27, 1953, the "Commission for the Reconciliation of the Korean people", in the Korean Bishops' Conference, has announced special programs and activities, urging Dioceses and all the faithful to pray intensely. In a message sent to Fides Agency, the Commission, presided by His Exc. Mgr. Peter Lee Ki-heon, Bishop of Uijeongbu, recalls that "in spite of the signed armistice, the Korean peninsula is still in a state of war, as a final peace treaty has not been signed". This is why it is still important to "pray and work for peace," and the events proposed to the faithful can be "milestones for peace on the Korean peninsula."
The Commission had already launched in June, a "prayer chain, to invoke the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary for peace on the Korean peninsula", it proposed the celebration of the Holy Mass with the'' special intention for peace; organized a symposium on the theme "Peace on the Korean Peninsula: how to build it". The Commission has also organized a "peace march" that will cross the demilitarized area on the border between the two Koreas, from 26 July to 1 August 2013. The area, known to be a symbol of the war, will be redefined "Way of Peace."
These initiatives, says the note sent to Fides, "intend to announce that we need real peace, not a precarious 'cease-fire', in force in the last 60 years. It is important to rekindle the passion of the faithful for the reconciliation and unity of the Korean people, to build genuine peace on the Korean peninsula, to prepare for the evangelization of North Korea, helping the faithful to become apostles of peace". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 18/07/2013)
- 2014-03-26 - "Small Christian Communities" instrument of evangelization
- 2014-03-14 - Church and government engaged in the Pope's visit; boom of participants at the Asian Youth Day
- 2014-03-11 - The Bishops: "Korea, rise up in splendor!", the Pope is coming
- 2014-02-24 - ASIA/SOUTH KOREA – Catholic Bishops: for 2014 “a Church with a warm heart”
- 2014-02-19 - "Forty days for life": Church reinforces its commitment against abortion
- 2014-02-10 - The Archbishop of Seoul: "The Korean martyrs, a model of holiness"
- 2014-02-06 - In the wake of Evangelii Gaudium, the Church is committed to the poor and unemployed
- 2014-02-04 - Vocations bloom: the ordination of bishops, priests and deacons in Seoul
- 2014-02-03 - The Archbishop of Seoul: "The Pope in Korea? A message of hope for all of Asia"
- 2014-01-24 - jung visits the homeless