ASIA/SOUTH KOREA – March for peace on the border between the Koreas: Prayer for Reconciliation
Seoul (Agenzia Fides) - Faithful Korean Catholics will march and pray for peace in the demilitarized area on the border between North and South Korea: As reported to Fides, it is one of the initiatives that characterize the months of July and August 2013, which are for the Korean Church "a special time to pray for reconciliation and unity of the Korean people". On the occasion of the 60th anniversary of the conclusion of the armistice between North Korea and South Korea, July 27, 1953, the "Commission for the Reconciliation of the Korean people", in the Korean Bishops' Conference, has announced special programs and activities, urging Dioceses and all the faithful to pray intensely. In a message sent to Fides Agency, the Commission, presided by His Exc. Mgr. Peter Lee Ki-heon, Bishop of Uijeongbu, recalls that "in spite of the signed armistice, the Korean peninsula is still in a state of war, as a final peace treaty has not been signed". This is why it is still important to "pray and work for peace," and the events proposed to the faithful can be "milestones for peace on the Korean peninsula."
The Commission had already launched in June, a "prayer chain, to invoke the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary for peace on the Korean peninsula", it proposed the celebration of the Holy Mass with the'' special intention for peace; organized a symposium on the theme "Peace on the Korean Peninsula: how to build it". The Commission has also organized a "peace march" that will cross the demilitarized area on the border between the two Koreas, from 26 July to 1 August 2013. The area, known to be a symbol of the war, will be redefined "Way of Peace."
These initiatives, says the note sent to Fides, "intend to announce that we need real peace, not a precarious 'cease-fire', in force in the last 60 years. It is important to rekindle the passion of the faithful for the reconciliation and unity of the Korean people, to build genuine peace on the Korean peninsula, to prepare for the evangelization of North Korea, helping the faithful to become apostles of peace". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 18/07/2013)
ASIA/SOUTH KOREA – MARCH FOR PEACE ON THE BORDER BETWEEN THE KOREAS: PRAYER FOR RECONCILIATION
- 2014-11-12 - Catholic students: bring the message of Christ in schools and universities
- 2014-11-03 - The Church encourages the Small Christian communities to strengthen their faith and to proclaim the Gospel
- 2014-09-02 - ASIA/SOUTH KOREA – A missionary says “thank you Pope Francis: now it is up to us”
- 2014-08-18 - The Bishops: "The hug towards the disabled: the most significant moment of the Pope's visit"
- 2014-07-14 - The site of the Pope's trip to Korea is online
- 2014-06-27 - The Asian Bishops: "The Pope with our young people: an event of grace"
- 2014-06-12 - New commitment to enhance the ecumenical movement: social evangelization and missionary initiatives
- 2014-05-26 - South Korea invites a group of North Korean Catholics to the Pope's Mass in Seoul
- 2014-05-21 - The Cardinal of Seul visits North Korea
- 2014-04-25 - Annual Workshop of Caritas: Communicate to evangelize