ASIA/SOUTH KOREA – March for peace on the border between the Koreas: Prayer for Reconciliation
Seoul (Agenzia Fides) - Faithful Korean Catholics will march and pray for peace in the demilitarized area on the border between North and South Korea: As reported to Fides, it is one of the initiatives that characterize the months of July and August 2013, which are for the Korean Church "a special time to pray for reconciliation and unity of the Korean people". On the occasion of the 60th anniversary of the conclusion of the armistice between North Korea and South Korea, July 27, 1953, the "Commission for the Reconciliation of the Korean people", in the Korean Bishops' Conference, has announced special programs and activities, urging Dioceses and all the faithful to pray intensely. In a message sent to Fides Agency, the Commission, presided by His Exc. Mgr. Peter Lee Ki-heon, Bishop of Uijeongbu, recalls that "in spite of the signed armistice, the Korean peninsula is still in a state of war, as a final peace treaty has not been signed". This is why it is still important to "pray and work for peace," and the events proposed to the faithful can be "milestones for peace on the Korean peninsula."
The Commission had already launched in June, a "prayer chain, to invoke the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary for peace on the Korean peninsula", it proposed the celebration of the Holy Mass with the'' special intention for peace; organized a symposium on the theme "Peace on the Korean Peninsula: how to build it". The Commission has also organized a "peace march" that will cross the demilitarized area on the border between the two Koreas, from 26 July to 1 August 2013. The area, known to be a symbol of the war, will be redefined "Way of Peace."
These initiatives, says the note sent to Fides, "intend to announce that we need real peace, not a precarious 'cease-fire', in force in the last 60 years. It is important to rekindle the passion of the faithful for the reconciliation and unity of the Korean people, to build genuine peace on the Korean peninsula, to prepare for the evangelization of North Korea, helping the faithful to become apostles of peace". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 18/07/2013)
ASIA/SOUTH KOREA – MARCH FOR PEACE ON THE BORDER BETWEEN THE KOREAS: PRAYER FOR RECONCILIATION
- 2015-11-26 - Prayer initiative for the Jubilee: "The Church in North Korea is in my heart"
- 2015-11-23 - Beyond the peripheries, in search of the "run-away teenagers"
- 2015-11-16 - The closeness of the Church in Korea to French nationals
- 2015-10-27 - Catholic priests from South Korea participate at mass in Pyongyang
- 2015-09-26 - Prayers for peace in the Church closer to the demilitarized zone
- 2015-09-23 - Young people on a mission with a smartphone
- 2015-09-01 - Young friends of the environment, starting from small daily practices
- 2015-07-24 - ASIA/KOREA – Appointment of Auxiliary Bishop of Suwon
- 2015-06-23 - A new United Nations Office for Human Rights focused on North Korea, opens in Seoul
- 2015-06-19 - Prayer and fasting for peace and reconciliation in Korea