AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - A day of prayer for peace and social justice
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - As a result of the serious political situation that has paralyzed the population of the Central African Republic since March 24, the Order of Carmel in Bangui has organized a real "crusade of prayer" according to which each family is invited to the recitation of the rosary. The faithful have been gathering in front of the Grotto of Our Lady for months. "In recent weeks we have experienced how the people love us, they have not betrayed us, indeed, since then, our chapel is always full of people who come to pray with us", this is what Fr. Davide Sollami, of the Ligurians Carmelite Missions, says. To support this initiative, the Attorney Missions of Arenzano proposed a day of prayer for Sunday, July 21, to be shared in public with all the faithful. The intent is to celebrate the Eucharist in communion with the Carmelite mission in Central Africa and the Carmelite convents and monasteries of Liguria asking God for the gift of peace in the CAR, where missionaries, nuns and lay volunteers are committed to the innocent people who suffer the actions of the "Séléka" rebels, in the midst of riots, theft and violence. The Carmelites also suggest a particular intention to be added to the prayer of the faithful, "pray for the Central African Catholic Church which is suffering due to the desecration of places of worship, looting and theft in parishes, missions, schools and health centers, responding to violence with the 'arms' of love, prayer, solidarity, testifying the power of the Gospel for the true progress of peoples". (AP) (Agenzia Fides 16/07/2013)
- 2014-04-10 - Solidarity Visit to Bangui of a U.S. interfaith delegation
- 2014-04-08 - "The only institution that still functions is the Catholic Church" says the Archbishop of Douala on a visit in Bangui
- 2014-03-20 - "The rainy season is approaching, emergency aid for displaced people is urgently needed" say religious leaders
- 2014-03-17 - "The conflict is not about religion", said Ban Ki-moon during the meeting with religious leaders for peace
- 2014-03-12 - "The situation has improved in Bozoum, but the situation remains precarious in the rest of the Country", says a missionary
- 2014-03-05 - Imam of Bangui: "If we want peace, we must be impartial and condemn all forms of violence"
- 2014-02-26 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC – Work goes on at Bangui university despite chaos
- 2014-02-24 - “churches and mosques must be rid of armed infiltrators”: say the Catholic Archbishop and the Imam of Bangui
- 2014-02-18 - "The Anti Balaka are doing more damage than Seleka", says a missionary
- 2014-02-14 - "God exists and God knows"