AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - A day of prayer for peace and social justice
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - As a result of the serious political situation that has paralyzed the population of the Central African Republic since March 24, the Order of Carmel in Bangui has organized a real "crusade of prayer" according to which each family is invited to the recitation of the rosary. The faithful have been gathering in front of the Grotto of Our Lady for months. "In recent weeks we have experienced how the people love us, they have not betrayed us, indeed, since then, our chapel is always full of people who come to pray with us", this is what Fr. Davide Sollami, of the Ligurians Carmelite Missions, says. To support this initiative, the Attorney Missions of Arenzano proposed a day of prayer for Sunday, July 21, to be shared in public with all the faithful. The intent is to celebrate the Eucharist in communion with the Carmelite mission in Central Africa and the Carmelite convents and monasteries of Liguria asking God for the gift of peace in the CAR, where missionaries, nuns and lay volunteers are committed to the innocent people who suffer the actions of the "Séléka" rebels, in the midst of riots, theft and violence. The Carmelites also suggest a particular intention to be added to the prayer of the faithful, "pray for the Central African Catholic Church which is suffering due to the desecration of places of worship, looting and theft in parishes, missions, schools and health centers, responding to violence with the 'arms' of love, prayer, solidarity, testifying the power of the Gospel for the true progress of peoples". (AP) (Agenzia Fides 16/07/2013)
- 2013-12-09 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The situation in Bangui is slowly normalizing, but there are still thousands of refugees in parishes"
- 2013-12-07 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The whole country is terrorized": new testimonies on the drama of Central Africa
- 2013-12-07 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - The testimony of two missionaries who welcome the displaced people fleeing violence
- 2013-12-06 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Apocalypse in Bangui" says Mgr. Aguirre to Fides
- 2013-12-05 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Intense gunfire in Bangui, civilians flee
- 2013-12-03 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The arrival of French and African troops is having positive effects"
- 2013-12-02 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Caritas meeting in Rome on the humanitarian emergency in Central Africa
- 2013-11-26 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Precarious situation in Central Africa; Paris announces the sending of other 800 soldiers
- 2013-11-21 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Genocide is probably exaggerated, but anything could happen", says a missionary
- 2013-11-18 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "In Central Africa we risk a new bloodbath" says a missionary