AMERICA/PERU - "Pain becomes holiness": the contribution of the sick and the elderly for missions
Lima (Agenzia Fides) - "From Faith and silence, pain becomes Holiness": this is the title of the
"National Day of the sick and elderly missionary", organized for tomorrow, Sunday, July 14, by the Pontifical Mission Societies (PMS), in all the dioceses of Peru. The intent of the day is "to unite the sick to Christ through the offering of prayer, pain and sacrifice for missions, which becomes the spiritual strength for the universal Church." The sick and the elderly - explains the note sent to Fides by the PMS in Peru - "are living stones that their testimony of faith seek to make a contribution to the world, transforming pain into courage".
The day involves patients in all hospitals, church group seniors and volunteers who work in the health care sector. There are thousands of participants and from year to year, the number and awareness of the volunteers involved in every parish, and health care center increases. Today, 13 July, the Holy Mass will be held where the Sacrament of the Sick will be given "in order to strengthen our sick brothers and sisters and renew their personal encounter with Christ" in the parish of Christ the King in the area of Santa Beatriz in Lima.
The Union of Sick Missionaries ("Union de Enfermos Misioneros"), was established in 1928, when Marguerite Godet, who wanted to be a missionary but was immobilized by illness, offered herself as a "sick missionary" in the Seminary of Foreign Missions in Paris, thus giving rise to the Union of Sick Missionaries. Today the Union is organized and promoted by the Pontifical Mission Societies, that gather all the chronically ill or elderly who want to offer their pain and their lives for missions. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 13/07/2013)
- 2015-11-24 - Preparations are underway for the beatification of the first missionary martyrs of Peru
- 2015-11-16 - Each year leukemia affects the health of 1,200 poor children
- 2015-11-10 - More than 3,000 participants at the III National Missionary Congress: to relaunch the missionary parish
- 2015-11-07 - The program for the beatification of three priests killed in 1991 by the Shining Path presented to Parliament
- 2015-10-30 - Annual report on Indigenous women and girls: victims of violence, atrocities and humiliations
- 2015-10-19 - Share the beauty of consecrated life with a testimony of joy
- 2015-10-07 - The preparation for the beatification of the three missionaries killed in 1991 continues
- 2015-09-24 - Mgr. Piorno to the authorities involved in court proceedings: "The best thing is to resign, for the tranquility of the population"
- 2015-09-08 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "the solution to insecurity is not lynching"
- 2015-09-02 - A month dedicated to combatting human trafficking