AFRICA/GHANA - The Right to health care in the Constitution has to be included: the Catholic Campaign
Accra (Agenzia Fides) – To include the right to health care in the new Constitution: is a national campaign launched officially by the National Catholic Secretariat, the executive body of the Episcopal Conference, on the occasion of the revision of the Constitution, ongoing in the country.
According to information sent to Fides, the campaign, titled "Agenda for the right to good health" is intended to replace Article 30 of Chapter 5 of the Constitution of 1992, which speaks of "the Law of the sick". The proposal of the Secretariat says one should speak of "right to health care" as a right included in the Charter, in order to assure that every Ghanaian citizen in the country has access to complete health care.
The note sent to Fides, reported that the "right to health care" includes "nutrition, hygiene and environmental sanitation and many other health problems that affect everyone, from rural areas to large cities nationwide", explains Samuel Zan Akologo, Executive Secretary of the Department of human Development, in the National Catholic Secretariat, during the launching ceremony of the campaign, which will be released in all the dioceses and in all the parishes and ecclesial associations. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 13/07/2013)
- 2015-08-04 - AFRICA/GHANA – Bishops launch the African Year of Reconciliation
- 2015-06-12 - The Bishops: "let us avoid repeating the language of those who want to destroy the family"
- 2015-05-12 - Appeal from Christian leaders: "Young people, stay in Africa, Europe does not guarantee comforts and pleasures"
- 2015-01-02 - "Corruption and widespread immorality threaten the nation", say the Bishops
- 2014-11-04 - The Bishops: "postpone the African Cup of Nations due to the Ebola situation"
- 2014-09-25 - "A fast-growing Country, where one feels the effects of secularization", says the President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2013-11-19 - " Ghana needs a new evangelization", say the Bishops
- 2013-07-13 - The Right to health care in the Constitution has to be included: the Catholic Campaign
- 2013-02-19 - Africa’s Catholic bishops confirm commitment to promoting human development
- 2012-07-26 - The Church of Ghana express their condolences over the death of President Atta Mills