AFRICA/GHANA - The Right to health care in the Constitution has to be included: the Catholic Campaign
Accra (Agenzia Fides) – To include the right to health care in the new Constitution: is a national campaign launched officially by the National Catholic Secretariat, the executive body of the Episcopal Conference, on the occasion of the revision of the Constitution, ongoing in the country.
According to information sent to Fides, the campaign, titled "Agenda for the right to good health" is intended to replace Article 30 of Chapter 5 of the Constitution of 1992, which speaks of "the Law of the sick". The proposal of the Secretariat says one should speak of "right to health care" as a right included in the Charter, in order to assure that every Ghanaian citizen in the country has access to complete health care.
The note sent to Fides, reported that the "right to health care" includes "nutrition, hygiene and environmental sanitation and many other health problems that affect everyone, from rural areas to large cities nationwide", explains Samuel Zan Akologo, Executive Secretary of the Department of human Development, in the National Catholic Secretariat, during the launching ceremony of the campaign, which will be released in all the dioceses and in all the parishes and ecclesial associations. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 13/07/2013)
- 2014-11-04 - The Bishops: "postpone the African Cup of Nations due to the Ebola situation"
- 2014-09-25 - "A fast-growing Country, where one feels the effects of secularization", says the President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2013-11-19 - " Ghana needs a new evangelization", say the Bishops
- 2013-07-13 - The Right to health care in the Constitution has to be included: the Catholic Campaign
- 2013-02-19 - Africa’s Catholic bishops confirm commitment to promoting human development
- 2012-07-26 - The Church of Ghana express their condolences over the death of President Atta Mills
- 2011-11-15 - "Use oil proceeds for the common good": appeal on behalf of the Bishops of Ghana
- 2011-10-24 - Meeting of the Symposium of Episcopal Conferences of Africa and Madagascar (SECAM)
- 2011-10-10 - Two million people with disabilities still hampered by lack of infrastructure and architectural barriers
- 2011-09-19 - In her prophetic mission, the Church has a positive role to carry out in elections, for the good of all