AMERICA/VENEZUELA - "National Dialogue": Bishops' appeal at the conclusion of the 100th Assembly
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - In a national context marked by deep divisions, "the Church promotes national dialogue with deep democratic spirit. We are all involved in building the good of the country. And we all have to solve the main problems of the country, such as insecurity, and work for everything related to quality of life ": This is what the statement said, released at the conclusion of the Ordinary Assembly of the Episcopal Conference of Venezuela. As reported to Fides Agency, this 100th assembly was held in Caracas from July 8 to 12 and was widely followed by the entire population because of the difficult situation the country is experiencing.
Presenting the reality of the country, the Bishops, speaking of the presidential elections held on April 14, wrote: "The process was characterized by an opportunistic campaign and showed that there are serious deficiencies in our electoral system. This fact generated acts of violence. This highlights, once again, the deep division of the Venezuelan people". The text sent to Fides Agency, continues: "The good of the country demands a solution. But the solution cannot be to destroy those who do not feel the same way. Our point of reference is the Constitution, which indicates the limits in which one can move and which must always be a point of unity". (CE) (Agenzia Fides13/07/2013)
- 2015-05-19 - Casa-Hogar "Padre Machado" in El Valle occupied with violence for a few hours
- 2015-03-03 - Classes suspended in the University of Tachira, false accusations made against the Catholic University
- 2015-02-27 - The Bishops: "Stop murderous violence!"
- 2015-02-25 - More violence and protests: 6 dead in six days of demonstrations
- 2015-02-24 - Growing tension in the capital, Cardinal Urosa denounces murder of 3 students
- 2015-02-20 - Police arrest Mayor of Caracas, for Archbishop Lückert “proof of dictatorship ”
- 2015-01-31 - Four churches attacked in Mérida
- 2015-01-30 - Mgr. Parra robbed during a parish meeting: "Money is spent on many things, but not on safety"
- 2015-01-13 - Dialogue to end the crisis: the exhortation of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-12 - Shops are empty: Cardinal Urosa calls on the government to act quickly and urges to remain calm