AMERICA/HONDURAS - "We have hit rock bottom but we have to try to raise the country together", says Mgr. Emiliani after the murder of the journalist
San Pedro Sula (Agenzia Fides) - "This is a message to journalists not to tell the truth, we need to look into the matter really well, because what happened is extremely painful and shows that in the Country there is a dramatic deterioration towards respect for life. Here life is not worth anything, so one can kill anyone", said Mgr. Romulo Emiliani, Auxiliary Bishop of the Diocese of San Pedro Sula, in a note sent to Fides, which contains the statements of Bishop on the murder of the journalist Aníbal Barrow (see Fides 11/07/2013 ) whose body was completely dismembered. "The killers are like little and horrific companies that kill by contract and when a person has an enmity or rivalry with another, a hitman is hired to get rid of him. We are facing serious forms of impunity", said Mgr. Emiliani .
The Bishop believes that there is a campaign to silence the truth, and "that is why journalists are targeted. For several years, we have see many journalists murdered. Everyone in San Pedro Sula is saddened by Anibal Barrow's death, but one knows that there are seven cases of death threats against journalists, therefore, we are faced with a persecution against local journalism. "
"It is true – concluded the Bishop-we have hit bottom, but we must try to raise the country together". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 12/07/2013)
- 2015-10-27 - Bishop Emiliani encourages “Honduras can do it, can stand up, can react”
- 2015-10-06 - Honduran Community says goodbye to candles and "dirty" electricity
- 2015-10-02 - Honduran Missionary receives an award for human rights
- 2015-09-23 - Mgr. Emiliani denounces the "violent reactions in the face of any situation"
- 2015-09-21 - "Honduras is sick of hate", warns Cardinal Rodriguez Maradiaga
- 2015-09-09 - Children resist famine thanks to school snacks
- 2015-07-17 - Sexual abuse on children have repercussions in adulthood
- 2015-07-15 - A new ward for children suffering from dengue and chikungunya
- 2015-07-15 - Campaign of the diocese of San Pedro Sula: "An honest man is not corrupt"
- 2015-07-06 - Still demonstrations against corruption, while other scandals come to light