AFRICA/CONGO DR - A priest presents cassava bread to reduce imports of grain from abroad
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - 85% of bread made of wheat flour and 15% of cassava was presented on July 8 in Kimpese (in the province of Bas-Congo) by its inventor, Fr. Charles Kusika.
According to the priest, who runs a processing cassava plant, thanks to this project the cost to import flour from abroad will be reduced, allowing the Democratic Republic of Congo to save $500 million a year.
"Every year $ 4 billion of wheat flour is sold in our Country. If we manage to withdraw 15% from the market we could recover $ 500 million a year", the priest explained. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 11/07/2013)
- 2014-03-04 AFRICA/CONGO DR - "No to indirect elections", say the Bishops who fear fraud and manipulation
- 2014-02-28 AFRICA/DR CONGO - “We have yet to verify the presence of the bodies of the three Assumptionist priests in mass graves discovered” says the Bishop Butembo-Beni
- 2014-02-25 AFRICA/DR CONGO – United Nations will increase Peacekeeping troops in Katanga, a drama signalled by the country's Catholic Bishops
- 2014-02-21 AFRICA/CONGO DR - "Unspeakable violence in Katanga" denounce the Bishops of the Province
- 2014-02-17 AFRICA/DR CONGO - North Congolese, an explosive mix: ex Central African combatants and gold mines
- 2014-02-06 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The flow of Central Africans seeking refuge in the DRC does not stop
- 2014-02-03 AFRICA/CONGO DR -"Humanitarian catastrophe" in Katanga, says the UN
- 2014-01-30 AFRICA/DR CONGO - More than 500,000 displaced people from 66 villages destroyed by the rebels in Katanga
- 2014-01-21 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The Catholic Church saves a dozen children from human trafficking
- 2014-01-15 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Disturbing speculations on the killing of the officer who defeated the M23