AFRICA/EGYPT - A Coptic commission to outline the criticisms concerning the Provisional Constitution
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - The Coptic Orthodox Church has appointed a commission of jurists and Christian politicians to draw up a memorandum of critical observations on the provisional Constitution. This was confirmed to Fides Agency by the Coptic Catholic Bishop of Assiut Kyrillos William. "I hope", adds Anba Kyrillos "that this initiative will be followed by others in a united manner among all the Churches and Christian communities, by activating in particular the National Council of Christian Churches recently formed. Christians must face in communion the difficult moment the Country is facing".
The commission counts among its members former MP Susie Adly and lawyer Amir Ramzy. What alarms Christians in particular is Article 1 of the new constitutional declaration, which in proposing the Sharia as the fundamental source of legislation accredits the rigorous interpretation sponsored by the interpretative schools closer to the Salafi Islamists.
With regards to the dramatic moment experienced by the country, Anba Kyrillos confirms to Fides that "the army has limited itself by protecting the will of the people, without expecting to exercise political power in a direct form. The part of the population that refers to the Muslim Brotherhood should be involved in the process of reconstruction of the national policy framework. And I think this is both desirable and possible, if one puts aside the claim to exercise hegemony". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 11/07/2013).
- 2015-03-03 - Patriarch Tawadros meets the families of 21 martyrs; another Copt beheaded in Libya
- 2015-02-25 - Christian archaeological area risks demolition, Coptic monks lie down in front of bulldozers
- 2015-02-23 - Copt Church forms committee to evacuate Egyptians from Libya
- 2015-02-17 - Bishop Antonios Aziz Mina: Libya’s martyrs died with the name of Christ on their lips
- 2015-02-16 - 21 Copts kidnapped and murdered by jihadists in Libya are “martyrs for the faith” says Patriarch Ibrahim Isaac
- 2015-02-14 - The government: the fate of the Copts kidnapped in Libya remains unclear
- 2015-02-13 - Magazine of the Islamic State announces the execution of the Copts kidnapped in Libya
- 2015-01-31 - AFRICA/EGYPT – Christians in the Islamist electoral list. The spokesman of the Salafi: we are obliged by law
- 2015-01-28 - The Egyptian government allocates land for the construction of new churches in the capital
- 2015-01-27 - The Coptic Catholic Diocese in Minya promotes religious reconciliation in the village of Delga with concrete projects