AFRICA/EGYPT - A Coptic commission to outline the criticisms concerning the Provisional Constitution
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - The Coptic Orthodox Church has appointed a commission of jurists and Christian politicians to draw up a memorandum of critical observations on the provisional Constitution. This was confirmed to Fides Agency by the Coptic Catholic Bishop of Assiut Kyrillos William. "I hope", adds Anba Kyrillos "that this initiative will be followed by others in a united manner among all the Churches and Christian communities, by activating in particular the National Council of Christian Churches recently formed. Christians must face in communion the difficult moment the Country is facing".
The commission counts among its members former MP Susie Adly and lawyer Amir Ramzy. What alarms Christians in particular is Article 1 of the new constitutional declaration, which in proposing the Sharia as the fundamental source of legislation accredits the rigorous interpretation sponsored by the interpretative schools closer to the Salafi Islamists.
With regards to the dramatic moment experienced by the country, Anba Kyrillos confirms to Fides that "the army has limited itself by protecting the will of the people, without expecting to exercise political power in a direct form. The part of the population that refers to the Muslim Brotherhood should be involved in the process of reconstruction of the national policy framework. And I think this is both desirable and possible, if one puts aside the claim to exercise hegemony". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 11/07/2013).
- 2015-05-22 - Patriarch Tawadros speaks at the conference on the "Coptic Diaspora"
- 2015-05-21 - The police free four kidnapped Copts
- 2015-05-20 - Four Copts kidnapped on the way to the Marian shrine of Jabal al-Tair
- 2015-05-19 - The Arab League welcomes the agreement between the Holy See and the State of Palestine
- 2015-05-18 - Morsi condemned to death. Coptic Catholic Bishop: "the Church never justifies death penalty for anyone"
- 2015-05-13 - President al-Sisi: so far little has been done to renew "religious speech"
- 2015-05-12 - Positive comments and controversy over the case of the Ethiopian Christians freed in Libya thanks to the Egyptian intervention
- 2015-05-05 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II: the possibility to celebrate Easter together on the third Sunday in April is being studied
- 2015-04-29 - Reaffirmed the right of Christian workers to start work later on Sundays
- 2015-04-28 - Sinai jihadist groups threaten Copts for their support to President al-Sisi