AMERICA/ECUADOR - Bishop Arellano launches the alarm concerning the new legislation on drug use, the country is divided
Esmeraldas (Agenzia Fides) - "The new legislation on the use of drugs should not have been presented, without launching an aggressive campaign of prevention through the media", said the Apostolic Administrator of Esmeraldas Mgr. Eugenio Arellano Fernández, commenting on the new regulations presented by the National Council of Psychotropic Substances (Consep).
According to Mgr. Arellano this kind of action will lead to the decriminalization of drugs, representing a great danger to young people, because teenagers, unfortunately do not seek refuge in the family, but in other places, such as in the streets and gangs. "The legislation launched in this way, is not of great help, now we must warn everyone, especially through schools with regards to the adverse effects of psychotropic substances", said Mgr. Arellano.
In the note sent to Fides by a local source, we learn that the national community is divided about it.
According to those who support the new government legislation, this provision will avoid filling the prisons of young drug addicts that seek treatment within clinical-health care environments.
The new regulation establishes maximum limits for possession and personal consumption of drugs, in order not to criminalize drug use. The new limits are: up to 10 grams of marijuana, 2 grams of base paste cocaine, a gram of hydrochloride cocaine, 0.1 grams of heroin, 0,015 of metilendioxifenetilamina, 0,015 to 0,040 of ecstasy and amphetamines. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/07/2013)
- 2015-08-01 - Papal altar to serve as parish church
- 2015-07-08 - "We also want to be missionaries" says the indigenous representative to the Pope
- 2015-07-07 - The Pope's visit "will mark a before and after with regards to the situation in the country"
- 2015-07-06 - 10 000 from Santo Domingo to Quito for the Pope's Mass
- 2015-06-26 - Still demonstrations against President Correa
- 2015-06-17 - Bishops: dialogue is the only path to find solutions, violence is always destructive
- 2015-04-17 - Floods favor the spread of the chikungunya virus
- 2015-01-29 - The country remembers "the Bishop of the Indios"
- 2014-10-21 - Indigenous people continue to be discriminated against, undernourished and not protected
- 2014-10-01 - Family Week in Guayaquil, wealth and renewal of society