ASIA/VIETNAM - Year of Faith: visit of the Papal Representative to the nuns of the diocese of Bui Chu
Bui Chu (Agenzia Fides) - The Sisters of Bui Chu have dedicated their life to the Church and society as a whole, because it is based on prayer and service to the poor and the sick: this is the recognition of Mgr. Leopoldo Girelli, papal representative not resident in Vietnam, to the Congregation of the Daughters of Our Lady of the Rosary of Bui Chu, which the Nuncio visited on Sunday, July 7. Bui Chu is the land where Christianity was introduced in Vietnam in 1533 by foreign missionaries. As reported to Fides by the local Church, the Nuncio visited the oldest diocese in Vietnam, Bui Chu, in the southeast of Hanoi, where about 400 thousand Catholic faithful live, as a sign of a "return to the roots of faith", as part of the celebrations for the Year of Faith.
Mgr. Girelli, accompanied by the Bishop of Bui Chu, His Exc. Mgr. Joseph Van Tiem Hoang, paid a visit to the nuns, particularly engaged in the service of the local Church, education and charity. The Superior, Sister Imelda Vu Thi Tuoi, expressed happiness and gratitude, recalling the history of the Congregation, founded in 1946. The Nuncio expressed joy and satisfaction "for the many vocations in the congregation, a sign that there are many young people, full of life, who want to commit wholeheartedly to serving God and others". Mgr. Girelli invited the sisters to "live following Mary’s footsteps, ready to testify that the way to be close to God is to serve the poor", recalling Pope Francis’ words. The Nuncio also visited the orphanage and clinic run by the nuns, encouraging the sick by telling them "God loves you and God will not abandon you". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 10/07/2013)
- 2014-02-12 - Children of ethnic Dao Tien committed to celebrating the Lunar New Year
- 2014-01-17 - Campaign to abolish torture, often used against detainees for religious and political reasons
- 2013-10-22 - Parliament debates on the revision of the Constitution, on corruption and development
- 2013-10-09 - Campaign in favor of the poor and populations affected by natural disasters
- 2013-10-09 - More than 60 religious leaders are in prison camps
- 2013-10-07 - Petition of religious leaders for the release of prisoners of conscience
- 2013-09-30 - Three new Jesuit priests for the mission in Vietnam
- 2013-09-19 - Dialogue with the Holy See, tension in the diocese of Vinh
- 2013-07-10 - Year of Faith: visit of the Papal Representative to the nuns of the diocese of Bui Chu
- 2013-07-04 - Cardinal Van Thuan, controversial hero of faith, "for the Vietnamese he is already a saint"