ASIA/VIETNAM - Year of Faith: visit of the Papal Representative to the nuns of the diocese of Bui Chu
Bui Chu (Agenzia Fides) - The Sisters of Bui Chu have dedicated their life to the Church and society as a whole, because it is based on prayer and service to the poor and the sick: this is the recognition of Mgr. Leopoldo Girelli, papal representative not resident in Vietnam, to the Congregation of the Daughters of Our Lady of the Rosary of Bui Chu, which the Nuncio visited on Sunday, July 7. Bui Chu is the land where Christianity was introduced in Vietnam in 1533 by foreign missionaries. As reported to Fides by the local Church, the Nuncio visited the oldest diocese in Vietnam, Bui Chu, in the southeast of Hanoi, where about 400 thousand Catholic faithful live, as a sign of a "return to the roots of faith", as part of the celebrations for the Year of Faith.
Mgr. Girelli, accompanied by the Bishop of Bui Chu, His Exc. Mgr. Joseph Van Tiem Hoang, paid a visit to the nuns, particularly engaged in the service of the local Church, education and charity. The Superior, Sister Imelda Vu Thi Tuoi, expressed happiness and gratitude, recalling the history of the Congregation, founded in 1946. The Nuncio expressed joy and satisfaction "for the many vocations in the congregation, a sign that there are many young people, full of life, who want to commit wholeheartedly to serving God and others". Mgr. Girelli invited the sisters to "live following Mary’s footsteps, ready to testify that the way to be close to God is to serve the poor", recalling Pope Francis’ words. The Nuncio also visited the orphanage and clinic run by the nuns, encouraging the sick by telling them "God loves you and God will not abandon you". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 10/07/2013)
- 2014-11-19 - Attacks and arrests in a Mennonite Christian Center
- 2014-10-31 - Catholics in Hanoi demand the return of a land that belongs to the Church
- 2014-10-20 - The Archbishop of Ho Chi Minh city: prayer and hope for the Vatican-Vietnam diplomatic ties
- 2014-09-23 - Family, cradle of faith and of Christian witness
- 2014-09-12 - Land is a source of livelihood for 14% of the indigenous people living in the Country
- 2014-08-01 - The UN Special Rapporteur: "Serious violations of religious freedom"
- 2014-07-22 - "UN expert on religious freedom will visit Viet Nam to assess the situation in the country"
- 2014-07-02 - "Christian family, the cradle of vocations to priesthood" for the Church in Vietnam
- 2014-06-26 - Brutal police repression on Christians Mennonites
- 2014-05-27 - Tensions with China: the faithful pray for justice and peace