AFRICA/CONGO DR - Reconciliation, peace and justice at the center of the reflection of the African Bishops gathered in Kinshasa
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - "The family Church of God in Africa at the service of reconciliation, justice and peace". This is the theme of the Plenary Assembly of the Symposium of the Episcopal Conferences of Africa and Madagascar (SECAM), which opened on July 9 in Kinshasa, capital of the Democratic Republic of Congo. The event, which will end on July 16, is attended by a hundred Bishops from all over the continent.
In explaining how the Catholic Church promotes peace in the light of the Gospel teaching, Cardinal Theodore Adrien Sarr, Archbishop of Dakar, Vice President of SECAM, said, "let us figure out how to strengthen the actions carried out, how to improve the methods and expand contacts so that the results are visible in all Countries. We feel deeply called to continue our efforts because peace is always compromised".
The Minister of the Interior of the DRC, Richard Muyej, who represented the Head of State at the opening ceremony of the Assembly, said he was happy that the event is taking place in Kinshasa at a time when "the RDC is attacked on the east side, causing thousands of displaced people". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 10/07/2013)
- 2014-03-11 AFRICA/CONGO DR - To improve road communications in view of the national pilgrimage for the 50th anniversary of the martyrdom of Blessed Anuarite
- 2014-03-04 AFRICA/CONGO DR - "No to indirect elections", say the Bishops who fear fraud and manipulation
- 2014-02-28 AFRICA/DR CONGO - “We have yet to verify the presence of the bodies of the three Assumptionist priests in mass graves discovered” says the Bishop Butembo-Beni
- 2014-02-25 AFRICA/DR CONGO – United Nations will increase Peacekeeping troops in Katanga, a drama signalled by the country's Catholic Bishops
- 2014-02-21 AFRICA/CONGO DR - "Unspeakable violence in Katanga" denounce the Bishops of the Province
- 2014-02-17 AFRICA/DR CONGO - North Congolese, an explosive mix: ex Central African combatants and gold mines
- 2014-02-06 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The flow of Central Africans seeking refuge in the DRC does not stop
- 2014-02-03 AFRICA/CONGO DR -"Humanitarian catastrophe" in Katanga, says the UN
- 2014-01-30 AFRICA/DR CONGO - More than 500,000 displaced people from 66 villages destroyed by the rebels in Katanga
- 2014-01-21 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The Catholic Church saves a dozen children from human trafficking