AFRICA/CONGO DR - Reconciliation, peace and justice at the center of the reflection of the African Bishops gathered in Kinshasa
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - "The family Church of God in Africa at the service of reconciliation, justice and peace". This is the theme of the Plenary Assembly of the Symposium of the Episcopal Conferences of Africa and Madagascar (SECAM), which opened on July 9 in Kinshasa, capital of the Democratic Republic of Congo. The event, which will end on July 16, is attended by a hundred Bishops from all over the continent.
In explaining how the Catholic Church promotes peace in the light of the Gospel teaching, Cardinal Theodore Adrien Sarr, Archbishop of Dakar, Vice President of SECAM, said, "let us figure out how to strengthen the actions carried out, how to improve the methods and expand contacts so that the results are visible in all Countries. We feel deeply called to continue our efforts because peace is always compromised".
The Minister of the Interior of the DRC, Richard Muyej, who represented the Head of State at the opening ceremony of the Assembly, said he was happy that the event is taking place in Kinshasa at a time when "the RDC is attacked on the east side, causing thousands of displaced people". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 10/07/2013)
- 2014-07-28 - It is necessary to vaccinate children against measles
- 2014-07-10 - Appeal of Caritas: "Help us bring home more than 2,400 people expelled from Brazzaville"
- 2014-07-07 - The army and the UN did not intervene to stop the massacre in Mutarule, HRW denounces
- 2014-07-02 - The Bishops recall "the sacred duty to protect the nation and preserve peace"
- 2014-06-26 - Emergency continues for girls accused of witchcraft
- 2014-06-25 - "Address the problem of Rwandan Hutu militias once and for all" ask the missionaries
- 2014-06-17 - The Congolese doctor who helps victims of sexual violence:"rape is a weapon of mass destruction"
- 2014-06-13 - Clashes at the border with Rwanda: Civil society calls for the intervention of the international community
- 2014-06-12 - Massacre in South Kivu: it is not land conflict but clash among local politicians
- 2014-06-09 - Appeal for the release of 900 hostages, including three Assumptionist fathers kidnapped in 2012