AFRICA/CONGO DR - Reconciliation, peace and justice at the center of the reflection of the African Bishops gathered in Kinshasa
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - "The family Church of God in Africa at the service of reconciliation, justice and peace". This is the theme of the Plenary Assembly of the Symposium of the Episcopal Conferences of Africa and Madagascar (SECAM), which opened on July 9 in Kinshasa, capital of the Democratic Republic of Congo. The event, which will end on July 16, is attended by a hundred Bishops from all over the continent.
In explaining how the Catholic Church promotes peace in the light of the Gospel teaching, Cardinal Theodore Adrien Sarr, Archbishop of Dakar, Vice President of SECAM, said, "let us figure out how to strengthen the actions carried out, how to improve the methods and expand contacts so that the results are visible in all Countries. We feel deeply called to continue our efforts because peace is always compromised".
The Minister of the Interior of the DRC, Richard Muyej, who represented the Head of State at the opening ceremony of the Assembly, said he was happy that the event is taking place in Kinshasa at a time when "the RDC is attacked on the east side, causing thousands of displaced people". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 10/07/2013)
- 2015-02-27 - A priest killed in the east of the Country; the Bishop of Goma denounces insecurity in the area
- 2015-02-25 - Strong humanitarian concern for the announced offensive against Rwandan rebels
- 2015-02-23 - “Government must guarantee freedom of press”: appeal following closure of several broadcasters including Kinshasa’s Catholic TV
- 2015-02-21 - AFRICA/ DR CONGO – Election calendar made public: eight elections in two years
- 2015-02-12 - A UN report highlights the international links of the Congolese guerrillas
- 2015-02-05 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – The Bishops ask for a clear electoral calendar
- 2014-12-22 - North Kivu: the conclusions of the meeting of the "wise men" to end the war in the Territory of Beni
- 2014-12-17 - Meeting of the "wise men" begins today to put an end to the massacres in the territory of Beni
- 2014-12-16 - More groups commit massacres against civilians in Beni: maybe a new war?
- 2014-12-09 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – More massacres in Beni area; civil society starts dialogue