AFRICA/CONGO DR - Reconciliation, peace and justice at the center of the reflection of the African Bishops gathered in Kinshasa
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - "The family Church of God in Africa at the service of reconciliation, justice and peace". This is the theme of the Plenary Assembly of the Symposium of the Episcopal Conferences of Africa and Madagascar (SECAM), which opened on July 9 in Kinshasa, capital of the Democratic Republic of Congo. The event, which will end on July 16, is attended by a hundred Bishops from all over the continent.
In explaining how the Catholic Church promotes peace in the light of the Gospel teaching, Cardinal Theodore Adrien Sarr, Archbishop of Dakar, Vice President of SECAM, said, "let us figure out how to strengthen the actions carried out, how to improve the methods and expand contacts so that the results are visible in all Countries. We feel deeply called to continue our efforts because peace is always compromised".
The Minister of the Interior of the DRC, Richard Muyej, who represented the Head of State at the opening ceremony of the Assembly, said he was happy that the event is taking place in Kinshasa at a time when "the RDC is attacked on the east side, causing thousands of displaced people". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 10/07/2013)
- 2015-04-27 - The United Nations Commission on Human Rights takes office, but repression of opponents continue
- 2015-04-10 - "The massacres in Butembo are a crime against humanity" denounce religious orders in the area
- 2015-04-09 - The opposition demands an investigation into the mass grave discovered 80 km from Kinshasa
- 2015-04-08 - Volcanoes erupting, wars, lack of infrastructure, extreme poverty and schooling for a few
- 2015-03-31 - The creation of new provinces is likely to result in a postponement of local elections
- 2015-03-18 - New violence in North Kivu: "there is an attempt to block the operations against the FDLR" denounces civil society
- 2015-03-12 - Alarm for the recruitment of young Muslims in eastern Congo
- 2015-02-27 - A priest killed in the east of the Country; the Bishop of Goma denounces insecurity in the area
- 2015-02-25 - Strong humanitarian concern for the announced offensive against Rwandan rebels
- 2015-02-23 - “Government must guarantee freedom of press”: appeal following closure of several broadcasters including Kinshasa’s Catholic TV