AFRICA/CONGO DR - Reconciliation, peace and justice at the center of the reflection of the African Bishops gathered in Kinshasa
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - "The family Church of God in Africa at the service of reconciliation, justice and peace". This is the theme of the Plenary Assembly of the Symposium of the Episcopal Conferences of Africa and Madagascar (SECAM), which opened on July 9 in Kinshasa, capital of the Democratic Republic of Congo. The event, which will end on July 16, is attended by a hundred Bishops from all over the continent.
In explaining how the Catholic Church promotes peace in the light of the Gospel teaching, Cardinal Theodore Adrien Sarr, Archbishop of Dakar, Vice President of SECAM, said, "let us figure out how to strengthen the actions carried out, how to improve the methods and expand contacts so that the results are visible in all Countries. We feel deeply called to continue our efforts because peace is always compromised".
The Minister of the Interior of the DRC, Richard Muyej, who represented the Head of State at the opening ceremony of the Assembly, said he was happy that the event is taking place in Kinshasa at a time when "the RDC is attacked on the east side, causing thousands of displaced people". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 10/07/2013)
- 2014-10-24 - The youth of South Kivu with the Bishops against the amendment of the Constitution
- 2014-10-17 - At least 30 people have died in the guerrilla assault in the town of Beni
- 2014-10-16 - Bishops' strong condemnation regarding the attack against priests and religious women in Lodja
- 2014-10-14 - New threats to priests and religious women because of the opposition of the Bishops to the constitutional amendment
- 2014-10-06 - Violence in the areas that the army has declared "free" from the guerrillas continue
- 2014-10-02 - Initiatives on behalf of "Justice and Peace" for reconciliation between Congolese and Rwandans
- 2014-09-22 - More than 70,000 children accused of witchcraft and persecuted
- 2014-09-17 - "No to the revision of the Constitution, because it puts at risk the stability of the Country", say the Bishops
- 2014-09-15 - “A lively Church but the faith needs to be deepened” says President of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference
- 2014-09-12 - Civil society: "the press in Rwanda is being provocative with regards to the border lines"